Quad LP/Tape Poll Jarrett, Keith: Death And The Flower [QS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Death And The Flower"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters
9. Genius

2228147003_69107ee005.jpg

With some jazz acts, I have specific favorite albums--Miles, Trane, Lloyd, Klemmer, for instance. But with others, they have a solid body of work--and maybe for me, no truly great works--but nonetheless are always great listens. I've never heard a Mose Allison album I didn't like, and that applies to Mr. Jarrett as well, though he's done quite a bit of sound shifting over the years, even if people tend to remember his solo piano work the most. His various groups were always solid, and open to a lot of stretching when their boss was in the mood. This is a pretty good one, but then I'll put on TREASURE ISLAND, think that's swell, go to the next. Some are like that. An '8' here.

ED :)

That reminds me, I need to check the CD version through the Surround Master, some say it is QS encoded. There's also this find, but oh my those prices - yikes :eek: !!!

https://www.discogs.com/Keith-Jarrett-Death-And-The-Flower/release/9668531
and the Quad LP (will hunt one up and report back here on the review)
https://www.discogs.com/Keith-Jarrett-Death-And-The-Flower/release/430419

I've heard a couple of decodes of that CD, Pup (as well as other Impulse! quads from the same era), one software, one SM, and they both sound convincing. I'm not sure every reissue retained the QS encoding--I'm guessing the SACD did not--but I'm pretty sure it's been established that the early CDs did, as well as the two-fers that came out a decade or so ago. There's a thread on this somewhere. @Simon A , where are you...?

I've heard a couple of decodes of that CD, Pup (as well as other Impulse! quads from the same era), one software, one SM, and they both sound convincing. I'm not sure every reissue retained the QS encoding--I'm guessing the SACD did not--but I'm pretty sure it's been established that the early CDs did, as well as the two-fers that came out a decade or so ago. There's a thread on this somewhere. @Simon A , where are you...?

Sorry Lad but I'm unfamilliar with this album. Mr. Jarrett's music is not my cup of tea. I'm afraid I cannot bring anything to the conversation. :)

Sorry Lad but I'm unfamilliar with this album. Mr. Jarrett's music is not my cup of tea. I'm afraid I cannot bring anything to the conversation. :)

No worries, Simon--just had it in my head that you were familiar with other Impulse! CD reissues and could confirm that many of them are "stealth" quad.

No worries, Simon--just had it in my head that you were familiar with other Impulse! CD reissues and could confirm that many of them are "stealth" quad.

Hopefully someone will chime in on the matter. :)

Back