Jazz Pianist Ramsey Lewis Dead at 87

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Last edited:
My introduction to Ramsey Lewis was in my dad's record collection:
R-1360760-1212784140.jpg

Some great thoughts about a truly great jazz master!

1- Keywhiz, loved that clip. Lewis at his best, with extremely great musicians Maurice White and Cleveland Eaton on bass. Introduced by Jim Conway, a Chicago news anchor/host for many years.

I recently picked up 2 Japan CD's from the White/Eaton era. I strongly recommend them both. Not sure either has had a US CD release:

Live in Tokyo ('68 concert, '69 release) Cadet (UMG) UCCU-9978

The Piano Player ('70 studio arranged & produced by Charles Stepney & Richard Evans) Cadet (UMG) UCCU-3107

2- 5.1 4 Life, Charles Stepney looms large in the careers of Chess/Cadet artists Lewis and Rotary Connection w/Minnie Riperton. IMHO, after 2 LP's for WB and 2 more on CBS, Stepney came in and helped White crystallize EWF's sound. Then, they began to take off for higher sales. Though Stepney passed within a couple years, his influence still pervades EWF's sound to this day.

Riperton's Les Fleurs from aforementioned post. Features Lewis Trio, orch, and backup singers, all at Stepney's direction. BTW: Riperton (RIP) was Maya Rudolph's Mom.

My Aunt had In Crowd, Bohemian Caverns and a few more LP's. She was like my big sister and responsible more than anyone for my love of jazz and early r n' r.

Some great thoughts about a truly great jazz master!

1- Keywhiz, loved that clip. Lewis at his best, with extremely great musicians Maurice White and Cleveland Eaton on bass. Introduced by Jim Conway, a Chicago news anchor/host for many years.

I recently picked up 2 Japan CD's from the White/Eaton era. I strongly recommend them both. Not sure either has had a US CD release:

Live in Tokyo ('68 concert, '69 release) Cadet (UMG) UCCU-9978

The Piano Player ('70 studio arranged & produced by Charles Stepney & Richard Evans) Cadet (UMG) UCCU-3107

2- 5.1 4 Life, Charles Stepney looms large in the careers of Chess/Cadet artists Lewis and Rotary Connection w/Minnie Riperton. IMHO, after 2 LP's for WB and 2 more on CBS, Stepney came in and helped White crystallize EWF's sound. Then, they began to take off for higher sales. Though Stepney passed within a couple years, his influence still pervades EWF's sound to this day.

Riperton's Les Fleurs from aforementioned post. Features Lewis Trio, orch, and backup singers, all at Stepney's direction. BTW: Riperton (RIP) was Maya Rudolph's Mom.

My Aunt had In Crowd, Bohemian Caverns and a few more LP's. She was like my big sister and responsible more than anyone for my love of jazz and early r n' r.

Indeed, Charles Stepney loomed very large in the careers of Ramsey Lewis, Rotary Connection/Minnie Ripperton & Earth, Wind & Fire as a song writer, producer & arranger for all of them. And as you know, Stepney also co-produced Ramsey's classic "Sun Goddess" with EWF's Maurice White. RIP-Ramsey Lewis!

As good as all those other projects are, my favorite Stepney project might be Rotary Connection's 1st album w/Riperton.

They're all good. RC, EWF & Lewis' Stepney projects.

Although I didn't take care of Lewis, he bought a very nice system from our (Pacific Stereo/CBS) Oak St. Chicago store, near his home. RIP

Indeed, Charles Stepney loomed very large in the careers of Ramsey Lewis, Rotary Connection/Minnie Ripperton & Earth, Wind & Fire as a song writer, producer & arranger for all of them. And as you know, Stepney also co-produced Ramsey's classic "Sun Goddess" with EWF's Maurice White. RIP-Ramsey Lewis!
Coincidentally, today's Times has a story about a just-released compilation of Stepney's own work:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/arts/music/charles-stepney-step-on-step.html

Back