Music DVD Poll Jean-Michel Jarre - Aero [CD + DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Jean-Michel Jarre - Aero [CD + DVD]"

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments and observations.
I suspect that this will be the same as the US DualDisc, but due to licensing issues here in the UK it's a CD/DVD pack instead!

Last edited:
This is a great recreation of teh work of JMJ by himself. the sound is great although it was only recorded 48/24 according to the sleeve notes.

you have the option of playing this disc in DTS which is supurb, both with and without the spooky eyes.

very discete mix all enveloping. i ahve only dropped one point because there is no MLP track. perhaps not needed but would have completed an excellent package.

This mix is not for the faint at heart. The music bounces from the front to rear, circles, some tracks are really surprising with sounds cuddenly coming from one or the other corner of the room. If you are into that and like JMJ's music, this is for you. Note, that one third of the disc is new stuff and the other half kind of a best-of.

PS: The eyes belong to a french actress and she was being filmed while listening to the dvd for the first time.

This is an awsome surround music disc! As described by rusinurbe, it is a very aggressive mix, with lots of front/rear, left/right, and even circular panning of specific instruments, sounds, and ambient "washes'. IMHO, this type of mix fits the music perfectly. It clearly would not work as well for most other types of music. The sound quality is impressive considering it is not a hi-rez MLP track. And if you like JMJ or any form of electronic new age music, you will probably love this disc. It says in the liner notes is that the "existing" songs were re-recorded for this release, using the original instruments, to enable the kind of immersive surround mix that might otherwise have been impossible to achieve from the original recordings. To my ears, the songs sound the same as the originals, but I haven't actually compared them to listen for differences.

I too would give this a 10 if not for the lack of a true hi-rez MLP track. I'm not sure the difference would be noticeable, but even so, I'm giving it a 9 just on general principle. Highly recommended.

Has a US DualDisc of this album been announced? If so, it will probably be cheaper than the import CD/DVD package.

Hello,

JMJ's music has always appealed to me and even more so since getting back into surround and playing his stereo lp's through the variomatrix. It decodes so well that it's hard to believe it's not quad encoded.

My concern, before I buy this, is whether or not there are problems playing this since it is a DVD-V import. There are mixed reviews about this on Amazon. I use a Pioneer DV-45a universal deck, would it work for this disc? Can someone please spell out the region differences (1,2,3,NTSC,Pal,etc) and how they effect playback of DTS and Dolby 5.1 etc., if at all. So far it's as clear as mud to me.

Thanks In Advance!

I have a Denon DVD-2910 universal player, and it plays fine for me. The video track (sexy eyes) displays fine on my NTSC TV, so this must not be a PAL disc. I didn't think to ask this before I order it from overeas -- I'm glad I didn't get stuck with a disc I couldn't play!

I voted 10. This is a great surround mix, very aggresive. I love it. I like synthesizers to start with, but when they start swirling around the room, even better. Happy happy.:banana:

Looks like I'm late to the party on this one, Aug of 2011.
Got it for $10 USD on amazon, sealed.
I gave it a 9, I do like an aggressive surround mix for this type of music.
DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1, liner notes said recorded at 96/24, but not sure of the DTS bit depth.

vinylguy4

Got this one for Xmas last year....

I find the mix a bit "gimmicky", but I like it.... Can't remember what I voted, but I think it was an 8 or 9. Considering these are re-recordings it stays true to the originals..

P.S. - My 200th post I do believe !!!!!

:51banana:

I would use adjectives like "adventurous", "bold", "engaging", "exciting". It is ear-candy. It creates a soundscape that you can immerse yourself in. I sat in the sweet spot, turned the volume way up, and listened with my eyes closed. It was like taking my auditory system to Disney World.

The sound quality is great, although sometimes I detected a bit of harshness in the higher midrange. The bass is awesome - deep effects with texture that hugs you and tight thumps that hit you in the chest like a mule kick.

I give it a 9.

I got this one too a while back, when it was still cheap. Agree with all the comments above. The eyes get boring, the mix jumps around. I prefer the original recordings but enjoy this version at times.

I am so glad this world-wide-web thing functions as well as your article genuinely helped me. Could take you up on that property guidance you.:banana:

Got this for 9 GBP recently... new!! (the DVD-V+CD set)...btw, a few months ago I saw a couple of copies in the cd store in Terminal 4 in Barajas Airport for ...22 EUROS (yikes!)

Indeed a very active mix, I think it racks among the top five most active 5.1 mixes (if you enjoy Cornelius' stuff-which I think take the cake for the most active mixes).
Depends on your mood, at the moment....too active/active .

The eyes; they do get tiresome (they are FRENCH you know...you know , that's why French movies are sooo...FRENCH!).
But then, kudos to whoever put the extra option in the main menu to turn the video "OFF".

I am convinced that the DTS stream is 48/24, but it states in the liner notes that it was recorded in 96/24, and I think there is some of the "trickle down theory", it sounds outstanding.

I am not familiar with Jean-Michel's oeuvre (never owned anything from him), but I have heard a few things here and there, so this material sounds quite "new" to me.

Since it couldn't be any other way. and this IS the QQ Forum,
one point is being taken from the total score for not being Hi resolution; but still, it is a must have disc.

A SOLID "9".

Hey All,

A 10. This is one of my demo discs for people who are unfamiliar with surround. It is bold and leaves no question as to whether it is discrete. In the first 30 seconds! I love the music of Jarre, akin as it is to old Pink Floyd and Tangerine Dream (where are THEIR modern surround mixes?). I recommend this to anyone who likes active/aggressive surround sound, and especially to those who like electronic synth based music.

Funny that this recording should be in the video classification, as I find the eyes to be a one time experience at best. Either shut them off, or close yours for best results.

Ken

The liner notes say this was recorded in 96/24, but my Sony BD player says it's being pumped out at 48 - not sure what bit depth. Whatever, the sound quality is very good. Video quality is good too, filmed in HD. (It's only a DVD, but it up-scales well.) The vid is a bit pretentious - just a close up of a pair of eyes - but I find that simple kind of video good for a surround mix. You can ignore it if you want but it's there to watch if your mind is beginning to wander.

The mix is very well done, which is not quite the same as very good. There are things whizzing around all over the place and it does at times get too much, which I thought I'd never say! The tracks are segued with some 'scenes' which are basically 5.1 sound effects. They are fun for a while but again get a bit too silly. So overall, I would have preferred a 5.1 mix of just music, with a little more restraint. But this is still very good, and I'd rather have too much surround than not enough.

Sound 9, mix 7 = 8.

I love the mix on this one!! As others here have said the mix is wild and the fidelity is great!

It's a "9" from me. If it had been a DVD-A I'd have given it a "10", its that good.

Back