Music DVD Poll Jean-Michel Jarre - Aero [CD + DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Jean-Michel Jarre - Aero [CD + DVD]"

• Total voters
It could be worse: DR11 (mch). It's still cheap used at amazon uk.

I just bought it; arrived yesterday. The compression and excessive EQ is not needed at all. DR11? What about letting the natural dynamics flow around DR15?

Listen to M. Gaye Let's SACD; no compression during mastering; sounds esquitie. Compression during mastering 9/10 is STUPID. I know why it's done for albums going to be played through ipods, iphones, laptops etc but for surround discs? Hell to the nah.

I am NOT saying it is brickwalled; just that a lot of care has gone into the 5.1 mixes, clearly Jean cares about sound yet he's allowed this project to have pretty piss poor mastering.

I love the adventurous mix, suits the music and the instrumentation perfectly. Yes I agree that it is a bit on the bright side, but I like to think it gives some of those samples and percussive sounds extra definition. ;)

Gave it a 9.

I love the adventurous mix, suits the music and the instrumentation perfectly. Yes I agree that it is a bit on the bright side, but I like to think it gives some of those samples and percussive sounds extra definition. ;)

Gave it a 9.

It doesn't.

Again, I'm going against the flow here. I really don't like this. I owned it once and found it unpleasant. Picked it up again for cheap, and again I don't like it. There are too many incidents of movement, and at it's worst: rotational mixing, around the sound field which I find nauseating. I like some of Jarre's work, but a more graceful/stable mix would have made long term listening much, much easier for me.

Again, I'm going against the flow here. I really don't like this. I owned it once and found it unpleasant. Picked it up again for cheap, and again I don't like it. There are too many incidents of movement, and at it's worst: rotational mixing, around the sound field which I find nauseating. I like some of Jarre's work, but a more graceful/stable mix would have made long term listening much, much easier for me.

Sounds like I need to pick this up! my sort of 5.1 mixes!

Loved the mix, with available DTS , (at the time of release, DTS multi-track music was not common). Didn't care much for his better half's eyes, but I usually don't keep the TV on for the audition anyways. I usually listen to music with my eyes closed.

this is a great , extremely active mix (so much so, it should come with a disclaimer....) ..the music is ELECTRONIC, so, don't get your hopes up for ...variety(although he did a GREAT job getting all his best stuff together on one disc)....but , if you want to have a great walk down your Surround System, this is a "go to DVD"....just make sure you turn off the visuals...

I listen to this at least once a year...I really enjoy it...a big 10 from me...

Yes Kapn I agree on the mix, it is a stunner....don't you care for the moving eyes? Jarre is electronica as you say, I just don't find it enjoyable for a full 30 minute go at one time. I'd prefer to listen to Morton Subotnik or Tomita if given the choice, a little more inventiveness going on, but that's just my opinion. John

So I'm sat down giving this a listen, and quite enjoying it upto Oxygene Part IV where it's getting a little on the nauseating side, although it possibly indicating I need to check the levels of the rear speakers...

Last edited:
Ha, so according to an SPL app on my phone the rears were down by about 2dB. (Last retuned the AV amp using auto setup around November I think.)

Played it all the way through, and enjoyed it far more than I recall I have before. I liked the interludes with snippets of other tracks, and also the door banging on the rear left, which sounded pretty convincing!

If this don't get your surround juices flowing then nothing will.

Here we are bemoaning recent feeble attempts in the USE of surround, when we have gems like this lurking around.
If you want to test your lugholes to the max, then I cannot think of any reason why you would not want to buy this.

For example:
The thunderstorm is just breath taking.

Help, I'm going on so much, I'm running out of Oxygene!!

An Aeronautical 10

Last edited:
Have to give this a “10”. One of the most aggressive surround mixes you’re likely to find, but I think it suits the music. Or the music suits the mix. I certainly don’t think all music should be mixed like this, but what would be the point of “surround” if there weren’t at least of couple of mixes like this around? This should be in everyone’s “demo” collection!

Plus, I actually like the music a lot. I’m a pretty big electronica fan. Especially when it’s melodic. Sometimes my mood calls for EXACTLY this sort of music and sound floating around me. I’ll play this a lot. Another great find thanks to the good people at QQ.

I’ve been doing the surround thing for about 3-4 years now and I’m up to well over 200 discs so far! My wallet is light but my ears are SOOO happy! :51QQ

As far as it not being Hi-Rez? Hard for me to see how it would sound any different if it was with this sort of music and mix. I certainly don’t feel as if it’s lacking at all. (Not something I can say with all 48kHz recordings, to be sure.). As far as what the resolution actually is? My receiver says the sampling is 48kHz. Is it always right?

:unsure:

Last edited:
This was a strange one for me. I sold my first copy and bought another at some point, as I recall, intending to flip it. I gave it another go and seemed to get on with it better the second time. It would be nice to hear some of his albums - say Equinox to Rendezvous - given a surround mix from the multis rather than re-recordings & arrangements. Mind you, if he went for the authentic sound route like the later Oxygene recording that could work very nicely!

Last edited:
Back