Music DVD Poll Jean Michel Jarre - Jarre in China (2 DVD + CD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Jean Michel Jarre - Jarre in China"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments and observations.
This was the first ever music DVD to be THX certified.

Last edited:
I gave it a 9. Very nicely done visuals for a live concert, and the 5.1 is less 'busy' and less tireing than Aero. If you like Jarre, this is a safe buy.

Mix is simplified version of AERO. Video quality is great for concert ! I was not impressed with show itself after prevois Jarre public perfomances.

Great picture quality, although not paying much attention to it. The rotational audio mixing on Equinox 4 is quite unpleasant for me.

I'd say sound quality and the surround mix is on par with Kraftwerk's Minimum Maximum DVD, though musically it's not quite as strong. Anyway, great fun to listen to..

Love it. Fantastic stuff on the first disc. Second was a bit of a let-down, but it's one amazing amalgamation of traditional Asian instruments, classic european symphonic orchestra and synthetic sound devices and keyboards. He his a master at this. Houston-Lyon, though it was "only" recorded in stereo, is an other masterpiece of blending analog and digital sequencers, classic instruments and big choirs.

Most of his music is described as being technically simple and somewhat unimpressive, by musicians, but his aptitude for grandiose and mesmerizing arrangements is renowned and often described as being extraordinary, and I tend to agree.

BUMP!

When I heard of this disc I thought it was the "Concerts in China" from 1981 (yummy , a young Charlotte Rampling!!) which is more of a documentary and with HORRIBLE SQ, although a DD MCH mix that is quite interesting..., but then I found out it was THIS one...

Since the prices are exhorbitant, I scoured the different yamazons and found a used copy in the FRENCH (oo lala!!) site for 30 Euros....

Gonna listen to it!

I'll report back...

Last edited:
OK, silly question...
what does "THX Certified " mean????

and BTW, the DTS is only 48/24..I thought that with all this brou haha it was gonna be at least 96/24....sacre bleu!!!!!

EDIT: even though you have the choice for English or French in the menu before the program, the DTS will be the FRENCH stream...

It appears to be a standard of the venue it's played in (in terms of sound and picture quality), rather than a standard of itself. Apparently some screens/projectors can produce pictures to THX standard, but in and of itself as a logo/trail on media I struggle to understand the significance.

I'm surprised I've never weighed in on this DVD set before. It's pretty bad-ass and I recommend tracking it down.
One of the best DVDs, mix-wise that I have found so far. I happen to go in for this type of music, at least in the background.
Visually, this is shot well too. A real winner.

I'm surprised I've never weighed in on this DVD set before. It's pretty bad-ass and I recommend tracking it down.
One of the best DVDs, mix-wise that I have found so far. I happen to go in for this type of music, at least in the background.
Visually, this is shot well too. A real winner.

Oh , HECK YEAH!!!
GREAT DVD!!..and I've only watched the concert in the Forbidden city...awesome mix (although methinks it's a tad compressed) and very pretty shots...

The only thing I can't get over is that the French are supposed to be into "Haute Couture"(however you spell it!) and he is wearing..a hoodie and tattered jeans!!!...Come on, Jean-Michel, for a man who used to be to married to Charlotte Rampling *ehem*...you can do better...(my petty complaint)

Back