Jeff Beck question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
I'd love to know what everyone's favorite Jeff Beck/Jeff Beck Group album is/are. Beck seems to have a good amount of surround product available, both in vinyl SQ and multi-channel discs.

What would you consider his best? (That could be because of the music or because of the surround mix.)

The two I see quite often are Blow by Blow and Wired. I would consider a "best of" album, but I don't see any available in surround.

I don't own any Jeff Beck yet and would like to check some of his material out.

Thanks!

I'd love to know what everyone's favorite Jeff Beck/Jeff Beck Group album is/are. Beck seems to have a good amount of surround product available, both in vinyl SQ and multi-channel discs.

What would you consider his best? (That could be because of the music or because of the surround mix.)

The two I see quite often are Blow by Blow and Wired. I would consider a "best of" album, but I don't see any available in surround.

Thanks!
Iā€™d recommend any surround Jeff Beck or music in general, a real one of a kind guitarist IMO.
For my fav I go for ā€œThere and Backā€ (non- surround though, and doesnā€™t even up-mix well unfortunately)
For a video show of his, the BD of ā€œLive at Ronnie Scott'sā€ is a must have!

So there were five albums released in quad, some of which have been reissued on multi-channel disc several times over now. I'm pretty sure all the Japanese 7" editions are still in-print?
The first two albums have more of a blues-rock sound, with Bobby Tench on lead vocals, while the last two albums are more of a jazz fusion/funk style with no vocals. Beck, Bogert & Appice is a different animal altogether: it's more straight-ahead rock with some decent ballads on side 2 ("Sweet Sweet Surrender", "I'm So Proud") - I'm not crazy about the vocals on that one, but you may feel differently. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be Wired.

The quad mixes are all really good, with the typical CBS extreme channel separation. I'd say that Rough and Ready is probably the most experimental in approach (there's particularly neat effect in the song "New Ways", where the drums are mixed to all four channels but slightly delayed in the rears), while Wired is the most refined (most songs have drums & bass upfront, keys in one rear speaker, and rhythm guitar in the other). Beck's guitar solos throughout Blow By Blow frequently appear directly behind the listener (centered between the rear speakers), which makes for an interesting effect.

Can't negate Beck-Ola; Rod Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Ron Wood;(on Bass), where he should be
Jailhouse Rock, Plynth, & the Hangman's Knee, are all superb ; Rice Pudding, as well
Give it a serious listen

So there were five albums released in quad, some of which have been reissued on multi-channel disc several times over now. I'm pretty sure all the Japanese 7" editions are still in-print?
The first two albums have more of a blues-rock sound, with Bobby Tench on lead vocals, while the last two albums are more of a jazz fusion/funk style with no vocals. Beck, Bogert & Appice is a different animal altogether: it's more straight-ahead rock with some decent ballads on side 2 ("Sweet Sweet Surrender", "I'm So Proud") - I'm not crazy about the vocals on that one, but you may feel differently. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be Wired.

The quad mixes are all really good, with the typical CBS extreme channel separation. I'd say that Rough and Ready is probably the most experimental in approach (there's particularly neat effect in the song "New Ways", where the drums are mixed to all four channels but slightly delayed in the rears), while Wired is the most refined (most songs have drums & bass upfront, keys in one rear speaker, and rhythm guitar in the other). Beck's guitar solos throughout Blow By Blow frequently appear directly behind the listener (centered between the rear speakers), which makes for an interesting effect.

great summary & overall assessment!

my personal favourite JB Quads are Blow By Blow and Wired, followed by Rough & Ready, then the orange album, then BBA is my least played but its still cool.

all the guitars in the Rears on the Quad of Blow By Blow is where i've gone through phases šŸ˜‰ of wondering if the Rears were actually out of phase on purpose.. šŸ¤” ..Centre Back position content being an SQ no-no.. šŸ§

1632941118214.png

I'm extremely fond of Guitar Shop. They need to Steven Wilson it in 5.1 on blu ray, and I'd spend my wife's next pay cheque to own it.šŸ™ƒ

Thanks!
For me : truth unfortunately no surround mix for this one. let's hope!

Attachments

• 41IotfG3CFL.jpg
    41IotfG3CFL.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 52

Thanks!
Blow By Blow and Wired are definitely my two faves. Really big for my friends and me in high school. Freeway Jam was played pretty heavily on FM in Chicago.

Rough and Ready : On the 7" Japanese Quad, turn up loud and become Rough and Ready. Then turn it up just a bit more on track 6, New Ways/Train Train, a definite reference rock song in 4.0 with Jeff Beck and Cozy Powell becoming as one.

Back