Jeff Beck question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huge Jeff Beck fan, I own every release he’s ever done, starting with the Yardbirds. To me, the only thing that hasn’t wowed me is Beck, Bogart and Appice - just couldn’t get past the vocals and bombast.
For surround, Blow By Blow (Analogue Productions) and then all of the Sony 7” Quad releases (again, I stayed away from B,B & A.)
For stereo, you’ve gotta have Truth and Beckola.

Huge Jeff Beck fan, I own every release he’s ever done, starting with the Yardbirds. To me, the only thing that hasn’t wowed me is Beck, Bogart and Appice - just couldn’t get past the vocals and bombast.
For surround, Blow By Blow (Analogue Productions) and then all of the Sony 7” Quad releases (again, I stayed away from B,B & A.)
For stereo, you’ve gotta have Truth and Beckola.
Of the SACD releases of TRUTH which do you like best?

Since I only have one (Jeff Beck Group SACD) I guess that's my favourite for now. I will say don't over look Jeff Beck Live at Ronnie Scott's in 5.1 on blu ray. It's a live concert but I've put it on just to listen to and not watch, it's that good imo.

Both Blow By Blow/Wired are available in different surround pressings!! I’d :love::love::love: to see both Truth/Beck Ola released in Multi-Channel as well
I can’t imagine either would be particularly good in surround - Beck-Ola sounds pretty crappy to begin with - and likely impossible to live up to QQ expectations.

I can’t imagine either would be particularly good in surround - Beck-Ola sounds pretty crappy to begin with - and likely impossible to live up to QQ expectations.
Come to think about it you are probably correct, but someone maybe someone here who is a music genius with computer software can give them both a whirl😊

I just decoded the SQ lp of Wired, using the script posted elsewhere here, and it's as if it were discrete quad. I'm just stunned.

It comes out shockingly well even with a hardware decoder (Fosgate Tate, Surround Master, etc). I wonder if it has something to do with most of the higher-frequency instruments being totally isolated in the rear speakers? The only flaw to the matrix decode is that it doesn't cancel the stereo drum kit in the rears, so it sounds like the drums are surrounding you when they're supposed to be locked to the front pair.

I'd love to know what everyone's favorite Jeff Beck/Jeff Beck Group album is/are. Beck seems to have a good amount of surround product available, both in vinyl SQ and multi-channel discs.

What would you consider his best? (That could be because of the music or because of the surround mix.)

The two I see quite often are Blow by Blow and Wired. I would consider a "best of" album, but I don't see any available in surround.

I don't own any Jeff Beck yet and would like to check some of his material out.

Thanks!
Here's a little sample of that "Live at Ronnie Scott's" show doing the song Space Boogie (from the There and Back album) This is so good, just brings me to tears 😂, you think these guys and gal are having fun? And that drumming by Vinnie 'o lordy be 🥁

Hard decision. Depends on type of music. My go to is “Roger the Engineer”. Still sounds fresh and amazing guitar playing. Have many of his releases on vinyl, Q8, cds, dvds, sacds and have seen him twice. It’s all good!

Truth and Beck-ola. Followed by Blow By Blow, Wired, and There and Back.
I had forgotten about "Truth", that album is excellent. I would tend to think of it more as a Faces album with both Ron Wood and Rod Stewart on vocals. I would have to put it at the top of the list with "Wired" in second place.

Back