BluRay Music Video Poll Jeff Beck Rock N' Roll Party Honoring Les Paul - Blu Ray (DTS HD MA)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Some of you might have caught an edited version of this on PBS a few months ago. Like Beck's previous BD (Live At Ronnie Scott's) - this captures him in another live, intimate setting. The Iridium Jazz Club in NYC which played host to Les Paul for the last decade right up to his death last year is almost Lilliputian in size. It's amazing how many musicians they can actually fit on that stage - but I digress.

This is Jeff Beck in full Rockabilly mode paying homage to all of his guitar heroes - Cliff Gallup, Scotty Moore, Bill Haley, The Shadows and of course Les Paul. For anyone with an interest in guitar (whether you are a player or not), this is an opportunity to watch the best player in the world give a primer on the foundation of modern Rock Guitar playing. A while back, Beck released "Crazy Legs," which was a set of Gene Vincent covers with his backing band the Big Town Playboys. This set has much of this has the same feel with the added addition of the lovely Irish lass, Imelda May singing on many of the tunes - especially on the Les Paul/Mary Ford covers where in tribute to Mary Ford, she sings along to her own pre-recorded harmony vocals. A passionate, heartfelt and well played set. Brian Setzer joins in with Beck on the classic "Twenty Flight Rock" and more than holds his own - a highlight of the set for me. The PQ (for those who care) is excellent. The DTS HD MA mix while being primarily band up front, much like "Live At Ronnie Scott's" still packs quite a punch with the small room providing the necessary wrap around.

Highly Recommended. Here are links to 2 videos from the show (to see if this is your cup o' tea)

Jeff Beck w/Imelda May - "Sitting On Top Of The World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fgTGCSIf80

Jeff Beck & Brian Setzer - "Twenty Flight Rock"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk0oQENcmEQ

img404.jpgimg405.jpg

Highly recommended here too!! Lots of fun - Great band - Imelda May - great sound - great video - $16.99 at Best Buy. You can't beat that. It's amazing how close Imelda May can get to sounding like Mary Ford. I couldn't stop smiling through the whole show. Tiger Rag and Walking In The Sand are awesome. Get it now!!!

I had this pre-ordered and got it a week or so ago. I haven't watched it all the way through, but what I've seen has been very good. I'm not very familiar with, or particularly a fan of, rockabilly but it's JEFF BECK! I think the blu-ray was $14.99 from Amazon.

I watched this the other night - it's very enjoyable! Wish I had practiced the guitar more when I was younger...

I guess I have been playing this disc for 5 years now because I have been playing it since it came out and I still play at least once every other month. Surround is ambience but the video and sound are outstanding. Very seldom watch the video I just play the music.

Is their a poll for this BD disc?

Throughly enjoy "Apache" and " Walking In The Sand"

Back