Jeff Wayne - The war of the worlds ULTIMATE EDITION

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ULTIMATE EDITION,
"The complete multi-format box set featuring the works of Jeff Wayne’s The War of The Worlds from 1978 - 2022 across multiple LPs, CDs, Blu Rays, Lossless Audio Discs, an in depth coffee table book and various ephemera."

This ones gonna cost a bundle.
Better save up.
I'll pass.
My 5.1 two disc SACD works for me. ;)

Last edited:
Yup, I have sticker shock already just based on how much they say is included.

Given that the Atmos Mix is already on Apple Music I imagine much of this content will find its way there also, so I'll probably be OK. I also have the old box set with the SACDs.

ULTIMATE EDITION,
"The complete multi-format box set featuring the works of Jeff Wayne’s The War of The Worlds from 1978 - 2022 across multiple LPs, CDs, Blu Rays, Lossless Audio Discs, an in depth coffee table book and various ephemera."

Better save up.
I'll pass.

ULTIMATE EDITION,

Better save up.
I'll pass.

I totally agree on the cost. It will be unreasonable, and it's a big time pass for me.

Any of you Londoners out there go to this VR show?

We've been twice and it is absolutely terrific entertainment for a couple of hours. The live action and VR stuff really bring out the best in the music with a lovely Forever Autumn sequence which leads into the Thunderchild sea battle - great fun!

I haven't been to a live show so bearing that in mind all you really need is a pre-2005 stereo release (an early vinyl pressing in my case) and the 5.1 SACD multichannel mix. If you've got that you're sorted. If not then I can see why this new offering may be of use :)

I haven't been to a live show so bearing that in mind all you really need is a pre-2005 stereo release (an early vinyl pressing in my case) and the 5.1 SACD multichannel mix. If you've got that you're sorted. If not then I can see why this new offering may be of use :)
I have one of the first CD releases plus the 5.1 SACD, and I agree I can't see what this is going to provide that I'd be prepared to shell out mega bucks for it.

What's wrong with the post 2005 stereo releases?

I have one of the first CD releases plus the 5.1 SACD, and I agree I can't see what this is going to provide that I'd be prepared to shell out mega bucks for it.

What's wrong with the post 2005 stereo releases?

It's just that the 2005 SACD release came with a new stereo remix as well as a new multichannel mix. The original stereo mix has a certain charm to it which I prefer over the 2005 stereo remix, the essence of which is more than captured by the amazing 5.1 mix. I've got an early vinyl pressing as well as the 2018 vinyl release which is based on the 2005 remix and I always prefer playing the early pressing. Obviously, whenever I reach for the SACD I always go for the multichannel mix. Oh, I've also got WOTW on CD from 1996 so whenever I want/need to listen to WOTW in digital stereo, this is my go-to version.

It's just that the 2005 SACD release came with a new stereo remix as well as a new multichannel mix. The original stereo mix has a certain charm to it which I prefer over the 2005 stereo remix, the essence of which is more than captured by the amazing 5.1 mix. I've got an early vinyl pressing as well as the 2018 vinyl release which is based on the 2005 remix and I always prefer playing the early pressing. Obviously, whenever I reach for the SACD I always go for the multichannel mix. Oh, I've also got WOTW on CD from 1996 so whenever I want/need to listen to WOTW in digital stereo, this is my go-to version.
I have the 1978 lp. I might have to pull out one of my turntables (unused for 20 years) and give it a spin again.

Apple has like 6 versions on the server, finding the Atmos one was tricky. After a "Jeff Wayne" search I had to click on the Author link, then I found the latest Atmos version. Listening to it now, so far very smooth but a little soft on top sounding to me. I'll give it more time.

I own the stereo album. Always a fun listen. When I started to collect multichannel discs, I saw this was available. 🙂 I ordered a copy on eBay, but sent it back. It was some bootleg DTS version. 😕 So, for now, I just stick with the vinyl. (I learned what "fan generated" meant after that purchase.)

But when something new like this comes out, there's always that chance that someone wants to sell an older version. 😀 I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Oh, and after watching that cool video, I think I need to plan a trip to London. That looks so cool!!!!!!

Back