Jeff Wayne - The war of the worlds ULTIMATE EDITION

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I owned the original cassette and still own the cd plus the SACD and concert DVD
I have to say some of the music has not stood the test of time such as the woeful Nathaniel song

I have a copy of this on vinyl & always enjoyed listening to it. Interested how this all pans out. No pun intended!
I still have the vinyl album and play it every now and then , when the mood takes me .

You can’t beat vinyl , especially with the cover artwork that folds across the sleeve , and the large illustrated booklet that tells the story .

We went to the launch of the Tom Cruise film in Berlin because we happened to be there at the time , and thought it awful compared to the Gene Barry original version ( even though Gene had a cameo role in the Cruise film ) .

You can’t beat vinyl , especially with the cover artwork that folds across the sleeve , and the large illustrated booklet that tells the story .
Nice pictures, but you can't beat digital for sound quality.

We went to the launch of the Tom Cruise film in Berlin because we happened to be there at the time , and thought it awful compared to the Gene Barry original version ( even though Gene had a cameo role in the Cruise film ) .
Agreed, the movie was a stinker.

Since I already own the older double 5.1 hybrid SACD of this I wouldn't double dip, but I have to say the Atmos version is a lot of fun to stream. Yes, the music is a bit simplistic, dated, and repetitive, but the overall presentation is highly recommended especially to anyone who has never heard it in surround. And 'Forever Autumn' is a classic track.

Nice pictures, but you can't beat digital for sound quality.

Agreed, the movie was a stinker.
Can’t agree , any system which samples little bits of a signal will always be beaten by the more natural one which uses all of it .

I was long-haul trucking when Jeff Wayne sent his Martian invasion tale upon the masses. Many boring, repetitive miles were made a bit easier by having the cassette tape blasting through the semi-truck's cab. My Radio Shack metal case Minimus-7 speakers connected to the high-quality Pioneer component vehicle audio system . . . with separate AM/FM tuner and separate cassette player and separate amplifier had excellent audio specs for the time period, performed with aplomb and when traffic conditions allowed . . . such as those looooong straight flat miles streaking across the great plains in rural areas especially in the wee hours of the AM when traffic was less than minimal the rolled up doobie(s) of fine Colombian Gold and Wayne's World and other tunes assisted with maintaining a semblance of sanity.

Try driving 130,000 miles yearly and determine if YOU can retain your humanity and not become a robot melding with the 1,000-plus feet-pounds of torque quivering beneath you and every quiver of 18-wheels impacting pavement jostling through your body with the never-ending requirement to be ALERT every second especially when the damnable 4-wheelers are clustered around you with half or more determined to become a squashed bug upon your massive front bumper.

A fellow needs every bit of relief he can acquire.

And I still root for Thunder Child. A shame there wasn't an Iowa-class battle ship to hurl those massive 16-inch high-velocity high-explosive shells against those damnable Martian tripods. Toss in the multitude of 5-inch shells spitting out at 5-rounds per minute and the coast would surely be cleared of tripods. Abrahms tanks would put the hurt on land-based tripods and those Warthog aircraft with 30mm cannon spitting out thousands of rounds per minute would make those Martians ponder the practicality of peaceful posturing to avoid annihilation.

Damn right!!!!!

Attachments

• Thunder Child tripod heat ray.jpg
    Thunder Child tripod heat ray.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
I bought the 3-disc LP just because I’m into that sort of rock (Rick Wakeman’s “Journey to the Centre of the Earth” remains one of my favorite rock albums) and was blown away. I have the 2-CD release, the live concert blu-ray, and I bought a set of the artwork.

Maybe I’m not as bad with this as I am with DSOTM, but I’m pretty bad.

I also own a copy of Jeff Wayne’s musical version of “Spartacus.” It’s not as good.

I was in London at the beginning of May and I went to this show. My overall rating - it's was Ok. I waver between "I'm glad I went" and "I could have lived without it". The review on the website is definitely over-blown. While in London I saw an excellent production of The Jersey Boys for less money. The best parts were the virtual reality experiences (3 occasions). The rest of it was a bit on the hokey side.

I have War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne on LP, cassette, and CD (original release).
I have the original H. G. Wells book.
I have a CD of the 1938 Orson Welles broadcast.
I have DVDs of the 1952 WotW, the 1995 Tom Cruise, and the 1995 Pendragon (most accurate to the book).
I also have the LP of Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Back