Quad LP/Tape Poll Jefferson Airplane: The Worst of Jefferson Airplane [Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Worst"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 2 16.7%

Votes: 4 33.3%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

Votes: 3 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Worst (heh)

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
RCA PQ8-1653.

Program 1:

It's No Secret
Blues From An Airplane
Somebody To Love
Today
White Rabbit
Embryonic Journey
Martha
Ballad of You & Me and Pooneil

Program 2:

Crown of Creation
Chushingura
Lather
Plastic Fantastic Lover
Good Shephered
We Can Be Together
Volunteers

ED :)

mAhKpzzcN50lqjwrG3MhVuQ.jpg
mmiF5VuYc2ISq796qybdKsw.jpg

Is there any reason why there aren't more votes and opinions on this Quad release? Given that it's a compilation of a very successful band, I would have thought more people would have weighed in on this release already.

Is there any reason why there aren't more votes and opinions on this Quad release? Given that it's a compilation of a very successful band, I would have thought more people would have weighed in on this release already.

Good question, RT.

I have WOTJA on Quad Open Reel but haven't played it in years. Thus, my recollection would be 'rusty.' But I have petitioned Marshall Blonstein (AF CEO) for the past two years to release it as a QUAD SACD. No response from him (other than it was a good idea) and that of course is contingent upon the condition of the QUAD Masters....and if it's available for licensing.

But from my rusty recollection (my equipment wasn't sophisticated back then) that one '8' rating seems fair (and accurate).

I also have Volunteers and 3 Jefferson Starship QUAD ORs, as well and IMHO, they'd ALL be viable candidates for the AF QUAD SACD treatment....more so now with Paul Kantner's passing.

I'll weigh in.

This is a classic example of a band peaking before technology could catch up. This particular album suffers due to the 3 and 4 track songs which are arguably the best the Airplane ever made. Those 3/4 track mixes are typical RCA of the time where they'd make the mix have four sides, rather than four corners. Hardly the stuff Quad dreams are made of. The later songs which feature 8 and 16 track multis suffer from something else entirely.... lack of imagination and/or general malaise or just plain lazy mixing habits. The editing is quite different compared to the stereo cuts and the rears are basically in mono with only some EQ-ing to separate them.
Add in the fact that the sonics are quite dull and lifeless and you have 100% pure mediocrity. The only thing that makes this album worth having is the fact that the Jefferson Airplane was the poster child for psychedelia in the 60's and their music is very much a well-structured sign of the times. This album is great in stereo but a plastic fantastic let-down in Quad.

RCA released quite a few top notch quads, but on occasion, they put out some titles several notches below brilliance; this was one of them (but by no means the only one). As noted, it suffers from some early tapes with limited tracks but, even then, more creative or sensible things could have been concocted beyond what is heard here. It's not all bad, and musically, this was strong material and performances. Just not what the ear doctor ordered for mixes or sonics. I think I rated this one a '6' but only because of the music. IMO, it would some kind of tweaking and even going back and remixing with modern technology to find WORST's best potential. Even if Marshall wanted to put this one out, might be a tough sell.

My recollection of the mix is that it's not bad considering what recording mixes (3,4,6 tracks) they had to work with.

I certainly would not be advocating that they should release a "stereo" SACD and things would be better.

There is life left in these Quad mixes in my opinion and it would be a welcome quad release, much appreciated and a long overdue reissue for anyone who likes quad or surround.

Rating: NINE .

If it were remixed (or properly remastered) to its quad potential, I'd say a '9' might be accurate, but not by the basis of what I've heard to date.

If it were remixed (or properly remastered) to its quad potential, I'd say a '9' might be accurate, but not by the basis of what I've heard to date.

Agreed. But ironically, MoFi is set to release a MONO SACD of Surrealistic Pillow which 'they' herald as the 'preferred version!' And Volunteers in stereo sacd will also be forthcoming from MoFi. Unlikely that AF will release Worst Of any time too soon.

Agreed. But ironically, MoFi is set to release a MONO SACD of Surrealistic Pillow which 'they' herald as the 'preferred version!' And Volunteers in stereo sacd will also be forthcoming from MoFi. Unlikely that AF will release Worst Of any time too soon.

That doesn't matter. If MOFI or another reissue company haven't licensed "Worst Of…" and the original record label is not planning to reissue it any time soon, it should be fair game for Audio Fidelity to reissue it.

That doesn't matter. If MOFI or another reissue company haven't licensed "Worst Of…" and the original record label is not planning to reissue it any time soon, it should be fair game for Audio Fidelity to reissue it.

Quite true, RT....but regarding all the negative comments regarding the SQ of the WOTJA QUAD 8 track/Open Reel, doubtful if AF would bite. To be perfectly honest, however, 8 track and even Open Reel doesn't do justice to some of the miraculous 4.0s we've received from AF.

I'd certainly buy it if it was offered to me.

Quite true, RT....but regarding all the negative comments regarding the SQ of the WOTJA QUAD 8 track/Open Reel, doubtful if AF would bite. To be perfectly honest, however, 8 track and even Open Reel doesn't do justice to some of the miraculous 4.0s we've received from AF.

I'd certainly buy it if it was offered to me.

That's different though. If Audio Fidelity don't want to release a Multichannel SACD of "Worst…" because the surround mix and fidelity doesn't live up to their standards, that's completely understandable.
That's why I normally don't recommend Quad titles to Audio Fidelity because apart from content, I usually have no idea if a particular Quad mix is even worth releasing. So many others on here know better than I, so I'll leave the suggesting up to them! :)

That's different though. If Audio Fidelity don't want to release a Multichannel SACD of "Worst…" because the surround mix and fidelity doesn't live up to their standards, that's completely understandable.
That's why I normally don't recommend Quad titles to Audio Fidelity because apart from content, I usually have no idea if a particular Quad mix is even worth releasing. So many others on here know better than I, so I'll leave the suggesting up to them! :)

Which is why I'll probably spring for the MoFi Mono SACD of Surrealistic Pillow.......especially for Somebody to Love and White Rabbit....which NEVER sounded especially good on RBCD!

I had the stereo vinyl of this and some other Airplane albums and always thought that the sound was either "muddled" or "distant." Definitely candidates for some remixing / re-equalizing even if just in stereo. And yes, the RBCD of Surrealistic Pillow sounds awful.

wow, I really differ on the opinions of most here, I love the quad mixes outside the 3 track super early stuff, but even that doesn't offend me, the lack of clarity in the mixes I do certainly agree with....but the material.....oh my stars! I love these songs with only Crushinua or whatever it's called getting a WTF from me. Today with the added instrumentation brought tears to my eyes when I first heard it. It still really moves me.
All Pillow tracks have less reverb and echo which is really satisfying, clarity excepted.

I would stand in line to purchase this as an SACD.

Listened to Q8 of this title yesterday. 1st time in many years as i have just resurrected my QUAD system. I must say it was nice to hear Somebody to Love without the echo that has plagued this song in stereo. overall,considering the technology 51 years ago the song sounded very good.

I have only heard this on 7.5in r2r, i dont know what y'all are talking about when it comes to "muddiness" because I don't hear it, at least on the r2r. The quad mixes here aren't amazing but they're nothing as bad as some of the people here say they are. Don't get me wrong, the mixes here are by no means amazing, they're certainly solid. We all know the music and that's of course amazing so I don't feel the need to comment on it.

I give it a 7.

Back