Quad LP/Tape Poll Jefferson Airplane: Volunteers [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Volunteers"

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 1 12.5%

Votes: 2 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 5: So-so

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
RCA APD1-0320.

Side 1:

We Can Be Together
Good Shepherd
The Farm
Hey Fredrick

Side 2:

Turn My Life Down
Wooden Ships
Eskimo Blue Day
A Song for All Seasons
Meadowlands
Volunteers

ED :)

I sincerely dislike this Q8. I also have the CD-4 and they proudly proclaim that it was recorded 16-track. Yet the mix is sloppy, dull and lifeless. Several of the songs have the same thing playing out of both rears however the back right will be EQ'd to be dull, dark, and messy. I don't know if this is the original intent or what but it's a horrible mix. What's the point of having a 16 track if you're not going to do anything with it? Some of their 4 and 8 track mixes were more interesting.

Jefferson+Airplane+-+Volunteers+-+Quad+-+LP+RECORD-70193.jpg
Tear down the wall, mother*#%@&!

Gee, it's that bad huh. I guess I can scratch that one off of my search list.

No, it's just fine, and features alternate takes of Volunteers, Hey Frederick, and Eskimo Blue Day. I gave it an 8.
from Discogs comments section: "Title track is a different take. Hey Frederick is longer. Eskimo Blue day has (slightly) different lyrics and different vocal take. Wooden Ships is missing the intro sound effects."

I have a 24/96khz drop from the CD-4 recorded in stereo for the alt mix, takes, etc. I'm glad to have it. Member here loaned it to me.

You can get the Volunteers alternate takes in stereo redbook in the JA LOVES YOU box.
I knew that there were some, but is it all four of them? (Of course the remainder of the album is a full on remix in quad as well).

I knew that there were some, but is it all four of them? (Of course the remainder of the album is a full on remix in quad as well).

The Wikipedia page lists four on JA LOVES YOU that came from the quad:

"Wooden Ships"
"Volunteers"
"We Can Be Together"
"Hey Frederick"

It is claimed that "Good Shepherd" is from the regular Volunteers album, but it sounds like a remix to me, but at the time the box set came out we only had the original redbook CDs to compare (the later RCA remasters from the '90s are much better, but of course the MoFI SACD is king!).

Last edited:
I think it was the ones who recognised he was destroying the fabric of our country when he stated "Government is not the solution to our problem government IS the problem. What a stupid remark.

For me, Volunteers was a very important recording. It was at a time when I realized that "these folks are trying to tell me something". I woke up so to speak to having music be more than just someone performing. This recording also has one of my "Desert Island Disc" songs on it. "Turn My Life Down". To be able to hear and experience different versions and performances really made this Quad 8 track even more important. So, sans the mix and how and why it is what is it on this one, I prefer to "hear" it as something more than just that. As I have said to my technical crew (I worked in the TV biz) "It's personal".

I don't care what anybody says, these guys were GOOD and this record is GOOD. The last time I heard the full album was when my cousin bought it in 1969 and I, of course, compared it to my favorite JA album - "After Bathing at Baxters". I just never acquired it, is all. Anyway, recently, I saw an auction that looked pretty good so I went for it. I got real lucky. It's as close to like new as you can get, these days.

That wonderful Airplane sound is THERE. Never another band that had that same sound. It didn't matter what style music they played. You could easily tell it was them.

I don't find the mix dull and lifeless, at all, except for maybe the title song. I don't know what they did there. It's lower in volume than then rest of the album and kind of vague. I can correct that with judicious use of controls. A "10"

Just forget the silly calling Reagan names and the silly revolution thing. I learned and, evidently, others didn't.

Doug

Back