Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an extra unopened 40th anniversary edition of Aqualung that I bought at a Barnes and Noble because they had one in stock and I knew they are becoming hard to find. Would love to trade with someone to get one of the three anniversary sets I do not own: Stand Up, TAAB, and WarChild. Anyone out there still needing Aqualung and have something to trade?

Some potential good news regarding more JTull 5.1 mixes by SW in this recent interview with Ian, the whole interview is worth the time to read, but here's the bit about more 5.1 mixes:
When I spoke to you before about the Steven Wilson box sets, you said he (Wilson) would pretty much cover it through the 70s and that would be that. So, with that in mind, the Heavy Horses box just dropped, and the next box would be Stormwatch, which would presumably be the next and final box set. Has that changed? Do you seeing it going beyond Stormwatch and into the 80s? What are your thoughts on that?

When I last spoke to Steven Wilson about that a few weeks ago, he seemed to suggest he might do a couple more beyond that. He seemed to express some interest in doing more than he originally seemed prepared to do. Steven is very successful in his own right, particularly this year when he has a very, very full year of touring. We’ve already done another album to include among the Steve Wilson remixes apart from Heavy Horses, and they are indeed a couple that we’ve talked about doing beyond that.
But, “Steven,” as I’ve always said to him, “there comes a time when you’ve got to do your stuff. You’ve got to prioritize and not feel that you’re obligated to keep working on music” that’s possibly less relevant to him any ways because once we get into the 80s, Steven Wilson was up and running as a musician. Perhaps at that point, the music that inspired him as a child or a teenager, that music is done and dusted as far as he’s concerned. That’s the music that brought him into the world of music as a musician and a producer and all that rest of it. So I can see why he has an affinity for that. Whether it’s Jethro Tull or King Crimson or Yes or Gentle Giant, I think he’s doing one of. You can see why he’s moved to work with that material. That’s part of his founding days as a young, wanna-be musician. Once he was up and running and an active musician himself, I guess he was much more interested, as we all are, in the music we are making, rather than the revered influences that we may have had when we were pre-teen or teen-age. The attraction is obviously no going to be there in the same way.
We’ll see what he wants to do. He’s done it so many times that it’s a well-worn prospect. He’s so familiar with my work to the point that he gets the master tape and pushes up the faders. He listens to the album, looks at the stereo picture, gets the balances of things right, and then works on the EQ, cleaning up all the nasty hums and buzzes and clicks and clackers and noises that are on the master tapes that we couldn’t do back in the days on non-automation and in the analog domain. Digitally, you can be quite radical in the way that you clean things up and get a much more transparent sound by what you’re listening to. You adjust the music without all the hisses and buzzes and other extraneous noises that litter the tracks.
Back then, the only way you could clean up the space between vocal lines or between different instrumental passages was to put your machine in “record” and delete that section of not-quite silence, which is a very scary and dangerous thing to do. You’ve almost got to get it wrong by a fraction, and you’ve wiped the master. It was kind of tricky to do the thing that became more possible with automated, analog mixing consoles. And then, of course, in the digital era, it became something that’s really quite easy to do because you can just see the wave form on your computer screen and you can just get rid of it. Or if you don’t want to delete it, you can put in some information just to reduce the output of that track at that point to zero. So it’s essentially digital silence until you want to hear it again.
That’s what Steven knows how to do. He’s very familiar with my work, and I guess he finds it a lot easier working my material now then when he first started, I think with the Aqualung album, a good many years ago.

Dream realized.
yjxiQOf.jpg

I'd love to get Broadsword in this series.

I don't know if Wilson would do it, but boy oh boy would I appreciate it. There could be some great bonus content. I say if they are selling, keep em going. These editions are the best deal going. If anyone hasn't ordered Stormwatch yet, it is a deal. 34.65 pounds with shipping to US...via Burning Shed

I don't know if Wilson would do it, but boy oh boy would I appreciate it. There could be some great bonus content. I say if they are selling, keep em going. These editions are the best deal going. If anyone hasn't ordered Stormwatch yet, it is a deal. 34.65 pounds with shipping to US...via Burning Shed

And a chance at having Ian Anderson's autograph squiggle :LB if you buy it from the Shed!

Dream realized.
yjxiQOf.jpg

Nice pile of music, I have the same but changing the Aqualung book for the vinyl/BD edition and adding TAAB 2.

But the reason I came looking for this topic was another one. I would like to ask if anybody has news about Benefit book edition or new 5.1 remixes for the rest of JT albums. I was listening to Minstrel In The Gallery when I realized this is the 40th anniversary of A and 50th of Benefit.

For those of you (like me) who have been wanting this, "Benefit" WILL be reissued in the book format (hopefully with some additional material not present on the 2013 release) AND the reissue series will also continue on with "A" although it's not certain at this point if the album has been remixed by Steven Wilson or someone else.

(BTW, Dave Rees runs the Jethro Tull fanzine "A New Day". He's very much plugged in all things happening in the JT universe.)

:)

117102047_10219519260985081_3835723215280286999_n.jpg

For those of you (like me) who have been wanting this, "Benefit" WILL be reissued in the book format (hopefully with some additional material not present on the 2013 release) AND the reissue series will also continue on with "A" although it's not certain at this point if the album has been remixed by Steven Wilson or someone else.

(BTW, Dave Rees runs the Jethro Tull fanzine "A New Day". He's very much plugged in all things happening in the JT universe.)

:)
Nice :SB

Back