Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Songs from the wood-5-1 box, and Minstrel, have been on backorder for being Re-issued for a year and a half, and still nothing!! Does Dave Rees know when these will be re-released??

Does David Rees know anything about the Jethro Tull 5.1 titles that have been on back order, for a year and a half!!!! Namely SONGS FROM... And MINSTREL... Various seller's say they will get them, BUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHEN!!!

Does David Rees know anything about the Jethro Tull 5.1 titles that have been on back order, for a year and a half!!!! Namely SONGS FROM... And MINSTREL... Various seller's say they will get them, BUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHEN!!!

Most of them went out-of-print in early 2018 and--with the exception of Benefit--probably won't be reissued. Your only option right now is to be patient and shop around for deals in places like eBay, Discogs, Amazon Marketplace, etc.

Advert for A New Day today, the Jethro Tull magazine, says the new issue includes news about the forthcoming book set of A (and Benefit and Broadsword!!). So we'll find out more soon hopefully (y)
This was from A New Day:

"Benefit is being put together as we speak, with goodies not on the 2013 digipack edition, and the word is that A is fairly advanced, with the promise of a few unreleased associated tracks, some fantastic live recordings, the obligatory Slipstream video and other surprises and of course the SW remixes, all spread across a mammoth 3CD and 3DVD package.
And hooray, work has even begun on Broadsword And The Beast, although that's a long way down the track yet. As to when any of them will be released, that's all very dependent on when pressing and printing plants are available again.
And further on, it is my belief that Ian's often reported dissatisfaction with the Drum Machine on Under Wraps will result in a rerecording of that album with real drums, as part of another book-set, despite Ian's financial reservations expressed in the last issue of AND. This is ONLY my belief..... "

:LB So, Benefit book edition will have extras to entice those (e.g. me) who bought the first edition, and A's remixer is SW :LB

An interesting exchange regarding what's next for the Tull series in this new S&V interview with Jakko:
Mettler: Obviously, there's a lot more of the Jethro Tull catalog to do in 5.1, starting with the 1980s releases since their '60s and '70s releases have pretty much all been done by this point. Are you allowed to say if you're working on any of those Tull albums?

Jakszyk: Well, from what I understand, I was going to do some more Jethro Tull, but because of lockdowns, Steven decided to do it, so I've been rejected. (chuckles)

Mettler: Ah, well, that's interesting, because I was sitting here thinking, [September 1987's] Crest of a Knave would be fantastic to get in 5.1 from your hands.

Jakszyk: I was going to do the later albums, but suddenly, Steven had some time on his hands because all his [2020] touring was canceled! (chuckles again) It's a friendly rivalry, you know.

So he thinks it is a rivalryo_O General Custer and his men were more competitive at Little Big Horn than Jakko is versus Steven

Perhaps, but I think Jakko's had the misfortune of being attached to a lot of remix projects where the source material presented challenges that'd be difficult for any experienced professional to deal with (locating the correct takes without track sheets, limited # of recorded tracks on the master, etc). For me, his best work is up there with some of the stuff SW's done.

Perhaps, but I think Jakko's had the misfortune of being attached to a lot of remix projects where the source material presented challenges that'd be difficult for any experienced professional to deal with (locating the correct takes without track sheets, limited # of recorded tracks on the master, etc). For me, his best work is up there with some of the stuff SW's done.

What do you consider his best work?

What do you consider his best work?

King Crimson's Thrak is an amazing 5.1 mix (the double-drummer front/rear effect is incredible), Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water is also pretty good, and there are good moments in both ELP titles (I particularly liked his takes on "Still...You Turn Me On" and "From The Beginning").

King Crimson's Thrak is an amazing 5.1 mix (the double-drummer front/rear effect is incredible), Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water is also pretty good, and there are good moments in both ELP titles (I particularly liked his takes on "Still...You Turn Me On" and "From The Beginning").
Hey! I don't think I've ever listened to my copy....good idea. (Thrak that is)

That 5.1 mix of THRAK is surround demo material. When you want something specifically that just can't be done in stereo to show off. It's this one and a few of the others already mentioned that make me question just what the heck happened on those flawed releases he mixed. (The glaring ones.)

Back