Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve just bought a NOS Aqualung that comes next week....be interested to see if the Blu-Ray doesn’t play as it’s been in shrink wrap for 10 years !
I’ve got a few shrunk wrapped I got on a deal a while back…I’m wondering the same thing….let us know once you get it if it plays or not ….:)

PS: Wondering if they don’t play if the record company will refund purchase prices? Or just MAYBE if enough people complain they will repress the Blu-Ray disc

MY MAJOR COMPLAINT ABOUT THE human race IS THAT OVER THE PAST FEW DECADES, WE’VE BEEN QUITE TOLERABLE TO “incompetent” COMPANIES, POLITICIANS AND PEOPLE IN GENERAL AND ITS GETTING WORSE ON A DAILY BASIS!!

STOP THE INSANITY!!! 🤣 :unsure::eek:

Last edited:
I bought a sealed copy around 2015 I think it was. Don't remember the online store anymore. The bluray had errors out of the box. The store accepted a return even though it was out of print. I think they knew there were potential problems because they had a really low price. (Yeah MMS, I don't know why more people don't return defective audio releases either!)

The revised release has the mixes free of the mastering faux pas that damaged the sound on that bluray version. (Curiously the quad program on the bluray had none of that mastering damage. Everything else had a treble boost.) And all the tracks that were missing on the bluray!

The early bluray release is only a collectors item now. The audio content is missing tracks and has damaging mastering.

I haven't seen a link yet. Amazon US seems to post links to these deluxe editions later than most, and the price typically doesn't drop until very close to the release date.

As to blu-rays, personally I haven't experienced disc rot for movies or music and I buy quite a few. Thankfully all my old DVD-Audio discs still play, and hell, I even have a few HD DVD's (Eagles Farewell I Tour, Nine Inch Nails Beside You In Time, etc.) that still look and sound pretty spiffy spinning in a very old Toshiba player. No, all things considered, I think physical disc media holds up pretty well.
I have one of this old Toshiba players too, Still works as well as the day I bought it, open box from Tweeter when they were going out of business. Unfortunately it and old (1st or 2nd gen) Sony Blu-ray players are the slowest pieces of equipment I have ever owned.

Last edited:
Ordered from Bull Moose. Really looking forward to it after listening to the album for the first time today.

This is my first ( actually second, but 10000 hz legend is also a pre-order) order with Bull Moose, Does their "We'll try to get it for you" disclaimer mean anything?

Last edited:
This is what I've been waiting for. For those interested, even with Prime membership (free shipping) after you add in shipping and taxes, Importcds is still a few dollars cheaper than Amazon. But for me, I was able to apply some accumulated Prime points which brought the price down to ~$26. Since I already own the older Collector's edition, it made the purchase far more palatable. Pre-ordered!:D

The trick with ImportCDs when you preorder something is to also pick up something else from you list (or 2 or 3). That way you realize the generally lower item cost and drive down the shipping costs per unit.

Benefit 50th set ordered from Amazon.ca $60cdn but free 2 day shipping and I had a $25 credit so it’s not too bad. Didn’t bother with the ‘A’ book set because the later stuff isn’t much good so I’m stopping with benefit so I have all of them up to and including Stormwatch. That’s enough.

Benefit 50th set ordered from Amazon.ca $60cdn but free 2 day shipping and I had a $25 credit so it’s not too bad. Didn’t bother with the ‘A’ book set because the later stuff isn’t much good so I’m stopping with benefit so I have all of them up to and including Stormwatch. That’s enough.
Mate
I actually enjoyed the A box. You might be surprised. I would get it if I was you to complete your collection. The remix is a considerable improvement

A is one of my favorites...

Mate
I actually enjoyed the A box. You might be surprised. I would get it if I was you to complete your collection. The remix is a considerable improvement
I had no familiarity with "A" prior to this so was not expecting much, but I also found it to be a pleasant surprise. I find myself enjoying it more than some of the other Tull sets.

Mate
I can’t really say that SFTW, HH and Stormwatch are my cup of tea and I’d been really looking forward to all of them because of the excitement from other forum members. I had heard hardly anything from those albums except for a very few songs I had from my 20 years of JT box set which were good songs and thought the albums would be pretty good. Unfortunately it’s not my type of Tull even though I’ve tried my best to get into them, it’s just not happening. Don’t get me wrong, there’s some brilliant songs on those 3 albums that I love but there’s an awful lot of nothing much too and way too much predictable flute soloing which really gets old to me. I’ll have a listen to’A’ on iTunes or YouTube and see if it’s more my taste before I go and buy it just to continue the set. Thanks for possibly changing my mind.
I went to see Tull on the first night of the Rock Island tour and only liked the second half. The first half sounded far too bad eighties trying too hard to be good type of thing which I find off putting. Each to their own I guess.

Last edited:
Back