Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'A' is different from, but a continuation of, the three before it. It's most strikingly different in the synthesizer and piano textures that Eddie Jobson contributed.

Also, I think there's more flute on the early albums than on any of these four!

TAAB & Passion Play really set a high bar. The whole run of Stand Up thru Minstrel is on fire with life force. I'd like to think Too Old thru Broadsword would be held in high regard even if that first run never happened though. I hear a lot of sleepers on Too Old particularly but the next two as well though. Stormwatch picked up a little. 'A' even more so. But with a different twist I guess. Really looking forward to Broadsword! This is the last album from Ian and co. that has the JT life force as I understood it.

Jethro Tull will always hold a special place in my memories. I've seen him a few times but that first night was special. Me and me very hot lady got a good buzz-on with substances I can't remember and proceeded to,

May 07th 1972 at the Chicago Stadium Amphitheater.
As I remember, Ian walked out to the mike in a slightly foul mood and announced he would not be returning to Chicago till we found a better place for him to perform than this big old barn. (And of course he was right, the Stadium was a huge echo chamber with terrible sound.) He then asked us all to be quiet and sit down, the band would be out shortly.
About ten minutes later the lights went down, the full band came out, and once again Ian came to the mic and said,

" I'd like to start tonight with a short little ditty, the name of this new song is
Thick As A Brick "
They then proceeded to play the entire album for the next approx 45 minutes.
Here's the actual complete set list for that night. Damn it's great to have the internet to fill in all the blanks.
Thick As A Brick - Full set
Cross-Eyed Mary
A New Day Yesterday with 2 Sloane Rangers intro
Aqualung
Wind-Up,
Guitar Solo
Locomotive Breath
Hot headed English General
Tomorrow Was Today
Instrumental Finale
Wind Up reprise

https://www.electrocutas.co.uk/dates/setlists/72/sl070572.htm

Now if only I could wind the clock back those 50 years next May 7th 2022. :cry:

Jethro Tull will always hold a special place in my memories. I've seen him a few times but that first night was special. Me and me very hot lady got a good buzz-on with substances I can't remember and proceeded to,

May 07th 1972 at the Chicago Stadium Amphitheater.
As I remember, Ian walked out to the mike in a slightly foul mood and announced he would not be returning to Chicago till we found a better place for him to perform than this big old barn. (And of course he was right, the Stadium was a huge echo chamber with terrible sound.) He then asked us all to be quiet and sit down, the band would be out shortly.
About ten minutes later the lights went down, the full band came out, and once again Ian came to the mic and said,

" I'd like to start tonight with a short little ditty, the name of this new song is
Thick As A Brick "
They then proceeded to play the entire album for the next approx 45 minutes.
Here's the actual complete set list for that night. Damn it's great to have the internet to fill in all the blanks.
Thick As A Brick - Full set
Cross-Eyed Mary
A New Day Yesterday with 2 Sloane Rangers intro
Aqualung
Wind-Up,
Guitar Solo
Locomotive Breath
Hot headed English General
Tomorrow Was Today
Instrumental Finale
Wind Up reprise

https://www.electrocutas.co.uk/dates/setlists/72/sl070572.htm

Now if only I could wind the clock back those 50 years next May 7th 2022. :cry:
I've seen the band 3x. But I am so JELLY....

Amazon US seems to not have received their full allotment or maybe any allotment.

My pre-order has moved from an estimated delivery date to a “delivery date pending”status and the title is now listed as “unavailable” on the product description & order page.

Amazon US seems to not have received their full allotment or maybe any allotment.

My pre-order has moved from an estimated delivery date to a “delivery date pending”status and the title is now listed as “unavailable” on the product description & order page.
Same here. Gonna order from somewhere else

Which is why a US citizen such as me is willing to pay higher shipping costs for UK products! Our beloved surround media is (in some but not all cases) produced in more limited quantities.

Mine arrives tomorrow from Amazon Canada, despite being tempted by ImportCDs,
but I’m paying more , $57CDN = $46USD
ImportCDs would have been $38USD with shipping, I can live with paying an extra $8

Reactions: SHB
Listening to Benefit now, sounds good, a little crispy on a couple spots for me; but overall I like the music on "This Was" a lot better!

The song "Play In Time" goes nutzo in surround :LOL:

Last edited:
Back