Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I re-listened to the 2013 album remixes yesterday and they sounded better than ever.

The Tanglewood concert mixed by SW sounds good, a bit uneven, some parts are lost at times, but the live settings in the 60s-early 70s made the recordings generally hectic. The 5.1 mix is basic but perfectly appropriate considering.
The Chicago live is in mono from a cassette recorded at the time by the FOH engineer. It sounds surprisingly okay for its vintage, but it is not exactly balanced. It would probably have needed a sympathetic mastering and restoration to sound its best. As it is, it's a bit rough, but totally listenable and enjoyable. I think it is a more energetic performance than Tanglewood, so that kinda makes up for the sound quality.

The version I had of this concert previously had great video quality, but the last 20 minutes had serious audio issues. It would also switch from soundboard to audience source between songs. I'm guessing because the soundboard was so dry. I'll just be happy without all the crackling at the end. I have the box, but haven't watched Tanglewood, yet.

The version I had of this concert previously had great video quality, but the last 20 minutes had serious audio issues. It would also switch from soundboard to audience source between songs. I'm guessing because the soundboard was so dry. I'll just be happy without all the crackling at the end. I have the box, but haven't watched Tanglewood, yet.

Tanglewood is so great. Lots of fun moments less likely as they became more established, such as the guy leaping on the stage, Anderson getting tangled up in the mic stands, the unaccountable number of randoms sitting at the back and the drum solo that doesn't know it's out stayed its welcome. 🤣

Looks like we're getting the Broadsword reissue in July 2022 :)
Ian Anderson was asked about the next upcoming Jethro Tull Re-issues he told The Metal Voice, "Broadsword and the Beast is the next reissue in July of next year. Which is all complete in terms of all the music and think just the final components, the little parts of the packaging are just being finished at the moment. Beyond that I can't really comment cause we haven't had any detailed discussions about how far to go or the availability of Steven Wilson who has done all the remixes."

We can only hope Wilson has some OCD that will compel him to re-mix Crest and Catfish, the best of the remaining Tull releases.

Back in 2017, Wilson told Mike Metter that he'd never even heard Crest!
Mettler: I always say the first domino is the hardest one to knock over, when it comes to surround. Once you hear it, you get it, and then you’re totally into it. So what you’re telling me is Jethro Tull’s Crest of a Knave (1987) is destined to come out in 5.1 someday? (chuckles)

Wilson: I don’t think I’ve ever heard it, so it’s probably unlikely that I’d do it. We’ve talked about this before, Mike, and one of my policies here is I’ve got to genuinely know and love the record to want to do it in surround. There’s a lot of stuff I get invited to do that I turn down on the basis that I don’t feel I’m the right person to do it because I’m not intimately familiar with that album. I think that’s important. As a listener, you can hear the love of that music in the mix.

You guys really underestimate A!

I mean, have you heard the remix? If that's not a labour of love, what is? :LOL:
I agree the remix is quite good, and the content was better than I remembered. But like I said, its just hard to believe Wilson knew and loved it prior to doing the remix. It simply was not a well loved album when originally released. To think he knew A but never heard Crest ......

I agree the remix is quite good, and the content was better than I remembered. But like I said, its just hard to believe Wilson knew and loved it prior to doing the remix. It simply was not a well loved album when originally released. To think he knew A but never heard Crest ......

Personally I always much prefered A to Crest. I very rarely listen to the latter while A has always been one of my favourites. I consider Crest and Rock Island like the least interesting albums in the discography along with the Christmas album. So I guess we are out there. :LOL:

Personally I always much prefered A to Crest. I very rarely listen to the latter while A has always been one of my favourites. I consider Crest and Rock Island like the least interesting albums in the discography along with the Christmas album. So I guess we are out there. :LOL:
No love for the Christmas Album either? My God

(see what I did there?)

Still Crest for me but I was late to the A party.

Back