Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Hackett seems to have a lot surround albums too. I was pleasantly surprised by and enjoyed "Defector" even in the Pseudo 5.1 Surround Sound Up-mix From The Original Stereo Master on the DVD of the 2016 remaster/reissue.

New S&V interview with Ian indicates Broadsword is still set for July release (hope it's true!):

The interview left the fate Crest of a Knave in surround unanswered. Ugh. I sure hope he continues the series that far.

Also wish someone would ask him & the label if they would consider selling the surround mixes as a download.

I was apparently convinced these would be released on bluray eventually and skipped grabbing physical copies initially. Between the difficulty (with common software and media players at the time) of decoding the dts2496 format and it being technically lossy and everything. Or I figured the initial price would drop and I'd pick them up that way eventually.

So that resulted in missing my favorite ones (Brick & Passion Play) and watching people that speculated on 2 or 3 copies pay off their mortgage early by selling them on Ebay now unimaginable prices.

Feeling pretty special about this one right about now!

I was apparently convinced these would be released on bluray eventually and skipped grabbing physical copies initially. Between the difficulty (with common software and media players at the time) of decoding the dts2496 format and it being technically lossy and everything. Or I figured the initial price would drop and I'd pick them up that way eventually.

So that resulted in missing my favorite ones (Brick & Passion Play) and watching people that speculated on 2 or 3 copies pay off their mortgage early by selling them on Ebay now unimaginable prices.

Feeling pretty special about this one right about now!
I'm in the same position as you are Jim ..
Waiting on those 2 to be re-released & not willing to pay a king's ransom🥴

I'm in the same position as you are Jim ..
Waiting on those 2 to be re-released & not willing to pay a king's ransom🥴
For various business reasons Ian Anderson and I crossed paths in the 90's, and we still email either other occasionally. I missed out on Thick as a Brick, and before buying it on eBay I asked him if it might be re-issued. No, he said, and he added "luckily, I held one back for myself." Things may change, but this is what he told me a few years ago.

The interview left the fate Crest of a Knave in surround unanswered. Ugh. I sure hope he continues the series that far.

Also wish someone would ask him & the label if they would consider selling the surround mixes as a download.
According to an interview in the German Classic Rock, Ian definitely wants to continue with the book series - he expressed interest in redoing the drum machine tracks on Crest with a real drummer (same for Under Wraps), but Steven probably won't be involved after Broadsword. Ian said he wants Jakko to do it.

Since I've purchased all of these so far I'll probably keep doing so as long as Ian wants to keep churning them out (although after Broadsword I'm really only interested in Crest and Roots). After hearing Jakko's mix of Zealot I think he'd be a great choice for the rest of the catalog.

It just dawned on me that Jethro Tull has the most surround albums, except, perhaps, Enoch Light. More than Chicago or Santana.
Well, soon maybe. I count 13 Tull surround albums so far. And 13 King Crimson albums. But there are 14 Genesis albums.

Not counting the live stuff from either.

New S&V interview with Ian indicates Broadsword is still set for July release (hope it's true!):
https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...s-nature-jethro-tulls-past-present-and-future
Found this in the new issue of Prog magazine:

1659888657999.jpeg

...but there's only 8 "real" Genesis albums 😂

Yes that's very funny.😉
Now truthfully there are 26 actual Genesis album releases, by my count ...with the 3 bonus EXTRAS ...Trespass to When In Rome. (not shown 2 Extras fr the Blue and Maroon boxes).
assuming your reference is only to the Gabriel/Hackett years...that would make it 12.
And with all their solos....well let's just say twenty six..... and many many more ! All surround !! 🥰
Phil Collins & Mike Rutherford being the exceptions .

Now when it comes to Jethro Tull ,they (Ian), are well on their way to playing catch up with Genesis. 15 (or 16 Homo Erraticus) so far ,not including Live Tull.
😉

20220807_130106.jpg

Back