Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't take it as humorous, just a factual statement, i.e. after "Wind & Wuthering" there was no longer any "Genesis" album worthy of the moniker.

I actually thought the same after Peter left ....then after Hackett left .

But I found a couple or 3 jewels in those after years .

The Maroon box of albums are definitely the weakest of the Genesis output, in my personal audio preference.

Now...Tull

As per that interview, and info in prog mag. we shouldn't expect something til next year as it would seem to be ?
Oh well.
Was kinda looking forward to something prior to Xmas.

From Genesis To Revelation ? Well 2 things :

It ain't no Revelation 🤦‍♂️

and(more importantly)

It ain't available in Surround 🤷‍♂️

So I tend to ignore it ever existed, by one of my Top Five Prog-Rock Bands. 😉
Oh, don't be so hard on this release. It's a bunch of teenagers trying to sound like The Moody Blues, and they do a good job. I wish I'd heard this when it first came out. I would have been a big fan. Out of order, it doesn't sound like much though. Obviously, as they come into their own, their sound becomes "Genesis" and they become the great band that this album only slightly hints at.

Oh, don't be so hard on this release. It's a bunch of teenagers trying to sound like The Moody Blues, and they do a good job. I wish I'd heard this when it first came out. I would have been a big fan. Out of order, it doesn't sound like much though. Obviously, as they come into their own, their sound becomes "Genesis" and they become the great band that this album only slightly hints at.
I think they were trying to sound more like The BeeGees, actually.

That being said, it is the only Genesis album with Peter Gabriel that I would be okay with never hearing again. I do like "Silent Sun" though.

I think they were trying to sound more like The BeeGees, actually.

That being said, it is the only Genesis album with Peter Gabriel that I would be okay with never hearing again. I do like "Silent Sun" though.
The 60s Bee Gees. I can see that as well. Re-listened to it today. It's still a nice album and if that somehow made a 5.1 I would probably buy it.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh about that first album.
The Band themselves actually came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be so missed , when they tried to wrest it away from Jonathan King ,in order that Nick Davis could complete a new 5.1 mix. They wanted all of their output to receive the same treatment in surround , but it was not to be.
Mr. King holds the rights to those masters as is , fwiw. So it's not like they didn't try.

Now should someday they manage to obtain those masters and complete a surround mix. You can get bet your bottom dollar I will buy it.
I find that recording more like chamber rock , not too much pop , but elements of pop and that would be their producer's influence at that time, again Jonathan King. Thank goodness they found a better producer for Trespass and beyond.

Now on to Tull.
I suppose Broadsword will be delayed ,but for many of the Tull fans ,me included ,we will get Thick As A Brick as a reissue ,soon. I already have my original, but just might buy a 2nd copy as that album is probably one of my faves from early Jethro Tull.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh about that first album.
The Band themselves actually came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be so missed , when they tried to wrest it away from Jonathan King ,in order that Nick Davis could complete a new 5.1 mix. They wanted all of their output to receive the same treatment in surround , but it was not to be.
Mr. King holds the rights to those masters as is , fwiw. So it's not like they didn't try.

Now should someday they manage to obtain those masters and complete a surround mix. You can get bet your bottom dollar I will buy it.
I find that recording more like chamber rock , not too much pop , but elements of pop and that would be their producer's influence at that time, again Jonathan King. Thank goodness they found a better producer for Trespass and beyond.

Now on to Tull.
I suppose Broadsword will be delayed ,but for many of the Tull fans ,me included ,we will get Thick As A Brick as a reissue ,soon. I already have my original, but just might buy a 2nd copy as that album is probably one of my faves from early Jethro Tull.
Do we need another 5.1 of Thick as a Brick? It's funny, when it came out in the 70s, I played the hell out of it. It was my favorite for many years. Today, as an old guy, when the desire for Tull hits me, it's Stand Up, Benefit or Aqualung. I have all of the Tull 5.1's I believe, but I just keep going back to those three. Maybe it's time for me to give it another listen. It's been a while.

Do we need another 5.1 of Thick as a Brick? It's funny, when it came out in the 70s, I played the hell out of it. It was my favorite for many years. Today, as an old guy, when the desire for Tull hits me, it's Stand Up, Benefit or Aqualung. I have all of the Tull 5.1's I believe, but I just keep going back to those three. Maybe it's time for me to give it another listen. It's been a while.
Yes, we do need a 5.1 repress of Thick as a Brick. You don't have to buy it, you know.

Oh, I know. I'm just asking why, I suppose.
Well, the first batch had errors. In the process EMI was going out of business. Many people were not aware of the fact that one disc had errors until it was too late (my dad, for example). And, some knuckleheads (me) were too slow to make the purchase that they missed out completely. The used prices are ridiculously high even for the one including the error-ridden surround disc. If something that sold for $30-$40 is going for $250 used, then a repress is in order.

And, this doesn't even mention the fact that this was the only box NOT mastered by Steven Wilson (it was mastered by Peter Mew). The new one will be.

I get your point. Just explaining why some of us are excited by a new release.

Well, the first batch had errors. In the process EMI was going out of business. Many people were not aware of the fact that one disc had errors until it was too late (my dad, for example). And, some knuckleheads (me) were too slow to make the purchase that they missed out completely. The used prices are ridiculously high even for the one including the error-ridden surround disc. If something that sold for $30-$40 is going for $250 used, then a repress is in order.

And, this doesn't even mention the fact that this was the only box NOT mastered by Steven Wilson (it was mastered by Peter Mew). The new one will be.

I get your point. Just explaining why some of us are excited by a new release.
Are we 100% sure this isn’t the same Peter Mew mastering?

Are we 100% sure this isn’t the same Peter Mew mastering?

Good question. I don't know if that has been established. I would think the stereo portion would have to be, since the vinyl, CD and Hi-Res download was Wilson's. No confirmation on the 5.1, you are correct.

However, Wilson's mastering is just a flat transfer. That's how he rolls. I think the Peter Mew mastering was something EMI wanted.

I could be completely wrong. I'm just going by my feeble memory.

Back