Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never be that obvious. I'm under wraps. Keep it quiet, go slow, no need to speak. Time is the great reward. (I'm crazy) LOL

The fab future 😇:devilish:
It's a masquerade, but well worth while. :cool:
:cool:
ian-anderson-2.jpg

https://www.abertay.ac.uk/life/alumni-and-supporters/honorary-graduates/ian-anderson/
Circulate. Need to know. <sigh>
Real secret agents don't sigh. Future looks better than that. Be a glad bird. Sad is a mad way to be.

tootull 5.1 :LOL:

:cool:

New interview with Ian about the upcoming album, along with discussions of: the current band, A Passion Play, Martin Barre, the ethics of fish farming, using technology in music, and -- most apropos to recent discussion in this thread -- Under Wraps and the possibility of the drums being re-recorded (spoiler alert: Ian's all for it, but doesn't think Warner will go for it).

https://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/...rson-new-album-overlooked-tull-salmon-farming

Fan crowd-funding and we get to vote on the drummer.
Bring back Barrie Barlow!

I don't think he's on the greatest terms with Ian though. And I thought Ian was awkwardly defensive when asked about Martin Barre, using the same contradictory logic I've heard from him before that firing Martin was done to liberate him from the bonds of Tull to do his own thing, but then on the other hand, he's still playing Tull music live which Ian doesn't mind even though they're all "my songs". He also neglects to acknowledge that the Jethro Tull revival is really just a rebranding of his solo band, done (in my opinion anyway) for commercial reasons.

Do I sound overly negative or cynical? Ian Anderson is a musical hero of mine, and someone I consider supremely talented in many areas. If he's not the warmest, fuzziest person, well, we have to separate the art from the artist, right? I'll always respect him and his legacy, even if I haven't cared much for his musical output since The Christmas Album, if not earlier.

Bring back Barrie Barlow!

I don't think he's on the greatest terms with Ian though. And I thought Ian was awkwardly defensive when asked about Martin Barre, using the same contradictory logic I've heard from him before that firing Martin was done to liberate him from the bonds of Tull to do his own thing, but then on the other hand, he's still playing Tull music live which Ian doesn't mind even though they're all "my songs". He also neglects to acknowledge that the Jethro Tull revival is really just a rebranding of his solo band, done (in my opinion anyway) for commercial reasons.

Do I sound overly negative or cynical? Ian Anderson is a musical hero of mine, and someone I consider supremely talented in many areas. If he's not the warmest, fuzziest person, well, we have to separate the art from the artist, right? I'll always respect him and his legacy, even if I haven't cared much for his musical output since The Christmas Album, if not earlier.
I also thought the comment about “my songs” in relation to Barre came off a little odd. I don’t know if there was context lacking in the article, or something that just didn't flow well in print that might have in person. But I did cringe a bit when I read it.

New interview with Ian about the upcoming album, along with discussions of: the current band, A Passion Play, Martin Barre, the ethics of fish farming, using technology in music, and -- most apropos to recent discussion in this thread -- Under Wraps and the possibility of the drums being re-recorded (spoiler alert: Ian's all for it, but doesn't think Warner will go for it).

https://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/...rson-new-album-overlooked-tull-salmon-farming
More to the picture than meets the eye. ;) Would you like another cup of tea, dear?

Nice for the drums request, but I now think Under Wraps should be left alone. I enjoy Under Wraps as is. A relic of the time.

Fire away. :LOL:

I don't think what I don't like from the album would be saved by adding real drums. My problem lies with some of the songs themselves.

A good quality live recording added as a bonus to a well made remix would do fine for me!

Whatever the case, I think a mix with the original drum machines should be included in a box.

I hope they do figure out a way to re-record real drums for these tracks. They did that for King Crimson's 'The Re-ConstruKction Of Light' to great effect, but I think the original stereo mix for Under Wraps was also less than optimal. With real drums and new carefully done stereo and surround mixes, I have no doubt that Under Wraps could be be significantly improved. It certainly would make purchasing a deluxe set for this title more desirable. Whether or not UW (even with significant tweaks) could ever become as revered as other Tull releases is another story. The re-mix of KC's TCOL with real drums, though an undeniable improvement, has not really had that effect...

Would an album like Under Wraps gain a significant amount of otherwise not-interested buyers if the drums were redone? Enough to cover the costs to get the record company to splash out a bit of extra cash?

I’ve come this far in this series, so I’m in for a bookset of UW no matter what. I’d be happy to see a “new drums” bonus disk, but I’d probably most often listen to a Steven Wilson 5.1 mix of the original album anyway. I’m OK with albums sounding of their time or original intent. (Even if that intent was misguided.)

Back