DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - A (A LA MODE Edition) [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - A (A LA MODE Edition)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
To Comments.png

Please post your thoughts and comments on this new 40th anniversary edition of the 1980 album "A" by Jethro Tull.

There's THREE DVDs worth of 5.1 surround content, all remixed by Steven Wilson:

DVD One: Original Album and Associated Tracks (Audio Only)
Contains Steven Wilson’s 2020 remix of the album and 5 associated tracks in DTS and Dolby AC 3, 5.1 surround, and stereo 96/24 LPCM. Flat transfers of the original LP master in 96/24 LPCM

DVD Two: Live At The LA Sports Arena November 1980 (Audio Only)
Contains Steven Wilson’s 2020 mix of the concert in DTS and Dolby AC 3, 5.1 surround and stereo 96/24 LPCM

DVD Three: Slipstream Video (Video)
With audio tracks remixed by Steven Wilson in DTS and Dolby AC 3, 5.1 surround and stereo 96/24 LPCM

61ABk4sLU%2BL._SL1200_.jpg

81tRmPRr5bL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not my favorite Tull album, but after hearing Steven Wilson's transformative 5.1 mix I can say it has significantly raised my appreciation of it. The original CD always sounded flat, thin and brittle, so even though I liked some of the songs I never went back to it much. I can't overstate just how much additional detail, depth and warmth the surround mix has over the original. Even after listening to the original several times in anticipation of this release, playing the surround mix genuinely seemed like hearing a new recording. Instruments, backing vocals and sound effects all appear actively in the surrounds for a very immersive yet directional listening experience. SW's mixing skills only seem to get better with every project, and this one is proof. It is not hyperbole to say I can hear details I never heard before. Combine the excellent new mix with the usual stellar packaging, a great sounding live concert and the goofy but enjoyable Slipstream video (both in surround), this earns a 10 from me. No issues encountered with playing the DVD's, and they all ripped without problems. I'm now very pumped for Broadsword and the Beast next year, one of my favorite Tull albums. After Broadsword there are just a few left in the catalog. I'd be really happy if they decide to do Crest Of A Knave and then Roots To Branches, but just getting this far in the discography is amazing.

Definitely not my favorite Tull album, but after hearing Steven Wilson's transformative 5.1 mix I can say it has significantly raised my appreciation of it. The original CD always sounded flat, thin and brittle, so even though I liked some of the songs I never went back to it much. I can't overstate just how much additional detail, depth and warmth the surround mix has over the original.
I couldn't agree with this assessment more--Wilson's mix has a certain drive and excitement that was sorely lacking on the original. The best part of the remix for me is how Martin Barre's guitar is brought to the forefront: it really pops out of the front right speaker, and you can hear exactly what he's doing in all the songs. My only gripe with the sonics is that the slightly muffled high-end from the original mix still carries over on a few songs, namely "Crossfire". The 5.1 is near-perfect to my ears, with plenty of isolated information in the rears and even some swirling effects to boot. The album is better than it seems to get credit for, but I much prefer what was originally side 1 to side 2. Going with a "9".

I voted 10. Love it. Music is great and thoroughly impressed just how good the band is, I mean they are really good.
Steven Wilson just keeps getting better and the DVD 2 Live at LA Sports Arena is great.
I watched the movie Slipstream, a little campy but that is the sign of the times, audio like all the other DVD's is great.
I did not listen to the CD's, nice to get the HiRes audio on the DVD's and not need to listen to CD's for some random stuff.
Packaging and reading material is real good.
It makes me want to go back and dive deeper into all the previous Tull archives as right now, I am almost thinking this is my favorite Tull band and music.

This turned out nicely! The original stereo recording has always been interestingly dry, and the bass and drums were prominent, but the overall sound was a bit harsh at high volume. The 5.1 mix is extremely listenable at high volume, and SW even improves on the drum/bass axis -- Mark Craney is clearly the MVP on this album, listen to him go nuts at the end of 'Uniform' -- it's massive now. And holy cats, Steve Wilson actually got adventurous with *motion* around the 5.1 soundstage on this one. Stuff moves around! Nice!

All that makes this A an 'A-' for me instead of an 'A' is some usual Wilson/remix issues that glare when you know a song *really well*. Certain original effects and echoes aren't convincingly replicated -- to his credit, Wilson even talks about one of them -- the Eventide reverse echo used on 'Fylingdale Flyer' -- turned out to be too hard/random to replicate. The other issue is the one where Wilson usually fails for me, when he does fail -- it's that he doesn't always get the 'drama' of the original mix right -- the occasional 'spotlighting' moments , shifts in level that the original mixes had that add excitement. Subtle perhaps but when they aren't there you notice them. A good example is Jobson's brief piano break in 'Black Sunday' that , on the original mix, bursts on the scene from the left channel at 2:27, a real ears-perking-up moment. In Wilson's mix it's kind of overwhelmed by the enormous bass/drum/powerchord stabs , or at, least, doesn't 'pop' as it used to. Ditto Jobson's violin on 'Pine Marten's Jig' , it's there, but it's not as fierce sounding as it should be. (It might even be a pattern..Jobson's parts tend to be a bit more homogenized into the mix here than they were on the 1980 mix, to my ears. Martin Barre' on the other hand, is promoted in the mix! )

But mostly everything is 'right'. The strange staccato-backed verses of 'Batteries Not Included' sound fantastic. Even end-of-album tracks that I tended to skip before , like '4WD' and 'And Further On', shine. I hope this mostly excellent remix raises the status of this underrated album. Musically some of these tracks have to be among the most difficult to play. The time changes are dizzying and dazzling.

Bonus tracks -- the one that's really interesting is the long instrumental 'Coruisk '.

Live tracks and video....haven't heard/watched 'em yet. (I'm familiar with Slipstream from older DVD versions)

Last edited:
As always, absolutely fantastic, and this is one of my favorite Tull records.

Anyone else notice that the drums on ”Batteries Not Included” sound really low quality?

I’ve noticed a couple - maybe intentional, just little mix differences or just very slight missed moments. The intro to “Crossfire” is different, the first drumbeat kicks in a beat early in Wilson’s mix. I wonder if the lead guitar is supposed to be dry without the delay on that song as well, as it has the delay on later songs. There are a couple spots where piano or a solo instrument is slightly buried. The synth stabs on the outro of “Black Sunday” kick in as if the mute was released late. Doesn’t really bother me, the clarity is so much improved that I don’t care. The drums on the aforementioned track definitely sound like a low bitrate MP3 though.

I wonder if the lead guitar is supposed to be dry without the delay on that song as well, as it has the delay on later songs.

I noticed that too: only the guitar solo at around 1:50 has the delay effect applied. He also made that solo pan right to left, whereas it stayed on the right in the original mix.

I'll have to listen again (with pleasure!) but while I noticed the overall audio clarity varied slightly from track to track (as they did on the 1980 mix -- there's an uptick from "Crossfire" to "Fylingdale Flyer" for example), the drums seem mostly amazingly clear and strong throughout, and spread nicely across the front (and occasionally , surround!) soundstage. No complaints there.

I consider myself a Tull fan who lost Interest in the group after SFTW but picked up interest again. I knew of A when it first came out never heard it until I just played the 5.1 Steven Wilson mix and all I can say is wow. I actually think this is one of the better 5.1 as far as mix, being discrete and punch. I normally do not vote but this knocked me out a very pleasant surprise. It is a solid 10 for me

Last edited:
10 from me, pending a blind listening test, comparing DTS Extended to DTS HD Master...

Great video review, good pace or not being too slow. I've found some videos on youtube to be painfully slow and I can't sit through them. This one moved along nicely.

But I do find that "Signals" sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. The first Rush album I did not like at all.

The surround mix makes the album appropriately epic, at long last.

With the rest of this exhaustive package almost entirely mixed in a fantastic 5.1, not to mention the excellent quality of everything else at an affordable price point, for me it is an unmitigated 10/10.

What an AMAZING GIFT from JT and Steve Wilson. Six expertly remixed/remastered RBCDs/DVD~Vs in a beautiful presentation hard covered booklet! Initially, I was on the fence about purchasing this set as I was totally unfamiliar with the material. And now I consider JT's 'A' one of my favorite sets so far this year!

And all for under $30 from ImportCD and it was delivered within a week!

IMO, one of those rare PERFECT 10s!

What an AMAZING GIFT from JT and Steve Wilson. Six expertly remixed/remastered RBCDs/DVD~Vs in a beautiful presentation hard covered booklet! Initially, I was on the fence about purchasing this set as I was totally unfamiliar with the material. And now I consider JT's 'A' one of my favorite sets so far this year!

And all for under $30 from ImportCD and it was delivered within a week!

IMO, one of those rare PERFECT 10s!
I was in the same boat Ralph. I simply knew nothing about this title, but in the end, I think it is one of the best. Think I'll listen now...

Back