Jethro Tull - A (A La Mode edition) - Next boxset in 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AINrlRx.jpg
Thank you John, more good info.

I won’t be able to test out the 5.1 for a little bit, but I played the CD in my car today and I really enjoyed it! I only sampled the original a couple of times but the remix has some nice weight behind it and the overall clarity on this just sounds wonderful. A really solid mix through and through. Are all the other Tull remixes as impressive as this one seems to be?

After seeing your comments Mike, I broke out my set which just arrived today and put DVD2 in the external Blu-ray drive attached to my iMac. Track 12 played fine on the computer. But when I tried it in my OPPO BDP-95, sure enough it's skipping, in all audio modes. It also has trouble with track 13. Bummer... I guess I'll have to rip it and play it off a USB drive in the OPPO - no alternative disc player for me, other than the computer drive, which only plays over the iMac's built-in speakers.

Seems like a defect to me, even if it works in some players. Does anyone know a channel to report this to the correct corporate overlord, to see if they might fix it and offer a replacement disc?
This is strange, but I played DVD2 tonight, probably for the first time since my previous post saying tracks 12 and 13 skipped in my BDP-95 (shame on me for not breaking it out in 8 months!)... this time, same disc, same player, no skips! I haven't made it through the remainder of the disc yet, but so far it appears that my issue has magically resolved itself somehow. Perhaps it will reappear again on a future playing, but right now I'm very happy.

And out of curiosity I just checked availability, to see if it's already out of print with skyrocketing prices on the secondary market... No! Amazon US has it in stock now, direct from them, for $24.30! That's the surround bargain of 2022, so far. For anyone who's been on the fence about getting it, seems a no-brainer at this price point. If you hate it, wait a year or three and then sell it for double or triple what you paid for it!

The concert performance is strong and the mix is great! (As a fan who lives more for the deep cuts, this version of Aqualung with violin and the fake out intro for Locomotive are a nice touch!)

This mix sounds pretty great. Heck, the board tape they cleaned up as well as possible on the Stormwatch box sounded pretty decent considering. How in the heck is it that the entirety of the recordings from Bursting Out are apparently damaged beyond any ability to mix from or even restore a stereo version from the original stereo mixes?! When an obviously crunchy board tape plays circles around a 5.1 attempt, come on now!

Back