DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - A Passion Play (An Extended Performance) [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - A PASSION PLAY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
as for the SW mixes...I may sound as a heathen , but I can see right through his mixes...they are becoming a bit formulaic..wonderful, nevertheless but formulaic....

What are you on about? That they sound similar to one another? If so, yes, and he's doing them well, so why "fuck with the formula" so to speak? He brings life to lifeless mixes, and doesn't radically change what actually worked on the original mixes. Consistency.

IMO, APP didn't need all THAT much work in the first place. It was a little boxy and there was a lot of volume fluctuation on the longer instrumental parts, but the mix was fairly solid to begin with.

there are a few little elements that are missing from the mix that are there on the original mix... it may be an Ian Anderson Not Liking His Saxophone Work than anything else...

This is exactly what Ian says in the booklet. And SW says he had to convince Ian to not remove more. In the end Ian agreed it should maintain its original feel. The booklet is a must read.

Just got my package from BS today. Decided to listen to Chateau first mostly because Skating Away is quite possibly my favourite Tull song. It is simply fantastic in this version in 5.1.. Worth the price of admission in itself.

And APP ain't bad either. Lol

Will that hand move or won't it? Personally, I found the Chateau mix to be preferable and the more adventurous. It would have made an amazing album at the time. Of course, since Mr. Wilson wasn't dealing with re-mixing an icon where folks get upset if the glockenspiel is mixed in too loud, I think he had a lot of leeway in how that was presented. Passion Play - being one extended work mostly, he pretty much sets the controls and lets it ride.

How come in this poll, and certain others, I can't see who has voted what score? In most polls people's names are listed by the scores.

How come in this poll, and certain others, I can't see who has voted what score? In most polls people's names are listed by the scores.

Good Day, from my experience, you can see the names before you vote. After you vote , the names are no longer visible.

Mine came today and so far just had time to give the APP 5.1 a listen so too early for an official vote but my first impression is *very* positive - this one's going to get a pretty high score I think. It's been years since I've heard the album as it was never one of my "go to" Tull albums but I must say I enjoyed the music more than I ever did in the past, SW has the magic touch with this stuff, he's brought a whole new life to the recording.

I think Ian Anderson has previously confirmed the words shouted as "Steve, Caroline". I was intrigued myself and found this article discussing possible meanings:

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/app/steve.htm

sorry listening very closely with the headphones on and i dont here Caroline at all and Steves pushing it a bit! all the talent here on this forum with isolating channels and tracks and come on could it be backwards?

First listen...not gonna vote yet. But PP 5.1 has some things that bug me, because like CttE, I know this album really. really well. Then again, I know Yes Album and Starless & Bible Black really well, and SW nailed them.

SW doesn't seem to grok the dramatic value of level differences between 'movements' of a long-form, multi-part tune. He too often evens them out. And I hate when he puts 'lead' parts -- Barre's guitar, often enough, or, heaven forbid, acoustic guitar parts (which AFAIC should always be front and center and focused) -- in the surround channels.

And I dislike the digital reverb..it just doesn't sound the same as the old 'verb.

That said, Chateau is wonderful, a vast improvement over what Ian Anderson did to those tracks, It now sounds like it was recorded in 1973, not the 80s or 90s. Too bad there's so much still 'undeveloped' in it (obvious places where woodwinds or vocals would go).

Hoping SW get Tales as right as he did TYA --

Okay I think I have listened to it enough to give my rating. Not among my favourite Tull albums, that would be songs from the Wood, Heavey horses, aqualung, but certainly an album I grew up with. The combination of Passion and the second dvd which includes my all time fave Skating Away... Makes this a ten. The sound is aggressive and pure. I have absolutely no problem with DTS.and I am growing very fond of A Passion Play.

Back