DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - A Passion Play (An Extended Performance) [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - A PASSION PLAY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I always thought Stand Up thru Minstrel were the over the top amazing Tull albums with this one and TAAB being the center point. Fantastic mix from Steve Wilson on all points! I don't think he missed anything. The Chateau Sessions is a genuine lost album with songs and music that is the real deal from the center point of this period. It's like hearing a major album from them from an alternate universe or something. Incomplete parts aside of course. But the fully finished tracks that never resurfaced are greatness.

You have to understand that this album was their tongue and cheek response to bands like Yes and ELP making more and more complex music. (TAAB was their response to album side long songs. "Ours is the whole album long!") You end up laughing out loud often wondering how they even keep the chord changes straight! Definitely not an album for background music. If you were looking for something catchy like Bungle in the Jungle, this is the polar opposite! That album flip sequence is still a winner. That film they made for it...

1973. This, Yes Tales, Floyd Dark Side... Was everyone dosed or something? :D

Must say that out of the two albums (Passion Play and the Chateau version) in this set l tend to enjoy Chateau slightly more but really like Passion. I think it’s because I liked the unfinished work from the 20 years of JT box set, scenario,audition suite and had always thought they sounded very interesting. Out of all the surround sets of which I have all but Benefit simply because I’m waiting for it to be done like the rest of them, I listen to A passion plays box most. Weird?

This is not the right place. Notice this is a poll thread. Its supposed to be for discussing the subject release and to explain your vote. There is a new member thread that would be a better start for you, and a lot of places to discuss equipment. There is also a poll thread specifically for the JT Aqualung Quadradisc you mentioned.

And welcome to QQ.
Welcome! Here is the link to the Welcome Thread. A good place to start..

Welcome Thread...

APP was the first JT album I heard and I love it to this day. The box is excellent but the moment when the new verses were suddenly in the room were indescribable. I know the album by heart in my sleep and suddenly there are text passages that I do not know? Shock moments!
Even if the quality of these verses is not the same as the rest of the recording, the mix is a work of genius by SW.

Am a big Jethro tull lover. This has always remained a less played album. To complete my collection I recently managed to score this special edition. Since then just enjoyed it. Steven Wilson did a fine job. 10.

APP is my all time favourite Jethro Tull album. The narrative, a recently deceased spirit wandering his home town whist stuck between the fore and afterlife is one of the most insightful lyrics ever and it's such a shame Ian tends to put it down.
My only caveat is the futzing with the sax lines in the outro. Luckily the original mix is included..

Wow, I'm long behind the curve on this one.
I give it a 9 only because it's not my fav JT album musically.
The Wilson surround mix is SOTA.

Considering I don't have that release... I don't understand how he remixed those tapes I mean not the 5.1 but the stereo; some tracks match the original unreleased masters found in previous CDs, others don't. I refer to the second DVD, the château 🏰 , anybody knows please? Thanks

Back