Jethro Tull - Aqualung BluRay Audio Failing?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So- I got an answer to my email to Chrysalis/Blue Raincoat music:

Hey Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to email us and sincerest apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

Unfortunately this is not an issue we can help with as we do not own the rights to that artists catalogue.

Warner own a few of the chrysalis catalogue artists and was most likely the label behind this release. Your best hope to find some help for the community would be to reach out to Warner and see if this is an issue they are aware of and can fix.

Kind regards
Blue Raincoat Music | Chrysalis Records

So- I got an answer to my email to Chrysalis/Blue Raincoat music:

Hey Jim,

Thank you for taking the time to email us and sincerest apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

Unfortunately this is not an issue we can help with as we do not own the rights to that artists catalogue.

Warner own a few of the chrysalis catalogue artists and was most likely the label behind this release. Your best hope to find some help for the community would be to reach out to Warner and see if this is an issue they are aware of and can fix.

Kind regards
Blue Raincoat Music | Chrysalis Records

I'm glad one of us got an answer(!).

I was afraid we'd hear something like that; I vaguely remembered when the sale of Chrysalis to Blue Raincoat was announced, there were some asterisks involving a handful of major artists.

So I guess we take this up with WEA, then. What's their track record on fixing this sort of thing? (I wasn't part of the TAAB fiasco, so I don't know firsthand how well they handled that.)

It would still be nice if someone from Optimal would answer...

I'm glad one of us got an answer(!).

I was afraid we'd hear something like that; I vaguely remembered when the sale of Chrysalis to Blue Raincoat was announced, there were some asterisks involving a handful of major artists.

So I guess we take this up with WEA, then. What's their track record on fixing this sort of thing? (I wasn't part of the TAAB fiasco, so I don't know firsthand how well they handled that.)

It would still be nice if someone from Optimal would answer...

OK, so WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) is actually a distribution & marketing network. WMG (Warner Music Group) is the consortium of labels. Even after carefully reading the Wikipedia entry on Chrysalis, I'm not completely sure I understand which WMG label currently controls the Tull catalogue, but it seems to be Parlophone. Unfortunately, WMG's contact page doesn't actually include any contact information, and Parlophone itself doesn't have a website per se, only the usual panoply of social media pages. (It's as if they didn't want to be contacted....) I've sent a message via Parlophone's Facebook page, which is the only one that allows for such things.

Last edited:
As much as I like streaming services, I do have concerns that some content disappears after awhile.

I effing HATE that they won't leave the end credits alone. Hulu is the only streaming service I know of that has a fully-functional "Yes, I'm an adult" setting that doesn't rape the screen the instant the algorithm decides the movie is over.

Granted, I haven't tried them all.

OK, so WEA (Warner-Elektra-Atlantic) is actually a distribution & marketing network. WMG (Warner Music Group) is the consortium of labels. Even after carefully reading the Wikipedia entry on Chrysalis, I'm not completely sure I understand which WMG label currently controls the Tull catalogue, but it seems to be Parlophone. Unfortunately, WMG's contact page doesn't actually include any contact information, and Parlophone itself doesn't have a website per se, only the usual panoply of social media pages. (It's as if they didn't want to be contacted....) I've sent a message via Parlophone's Facebook page, which is the only one that allows for such things.

Yes, not looking too good. Hard to know how to contact the right folks even when there's not a lot of hope they'll respond positively. Thanks for your detective work and follow through. I hate FB and have avoided it like the plague, so can't help on that front. But I'm sure you'll keep us informed and if you come up w/ another avenue I'll do my part.

I effing HATE that they won't leave the end credits alone. Hulu is the only streaming service I know of that has a fully-functional "Yes, I'm an adult" setting that doesn't rape the screen the instant the algorithm decides the movie is over.

Absolutely infuriated by this.
If I could think of a way to fight it, I would.
So disrespectful of me I have almost been tempted to cancel subscriptions in protest.

Understand something: the “services” don’t give a damn what you want to watch. (If they did, they’d provide a reasonable way to browse the thousands of titles available.) They want you to watch whatever they’re currently shoving down everyone’s throat, and they want you to watch it NOW. This second. Before you have a chance to remember you don’t want to.

Well checked Snood's - Luckily all is working well. Although seems only have the 5.1s and Quads ripped without the Extra tracks - although aren't the extra tracks pretty much the same? With as few more 5.1s in 2016 :unsure: Are we finding differing disc numbers - if so, will take a look at mine.

Also have a sealed one too, but picked that up on the cheap when me forget where was blowing them out at like 35 bux a few years back. Keeping it sealed :LB

Well checked Snood's - Luckily all is working well. Although seems only have the 5.1s and Quads ripped without the Extra tracks - although aren't the extra tracks pretty much the same? With as few more 5.1s in 2016 :unsure: Are we finding differing disc numbers - if so, will take a look at mine.

Not quite clear yet. Looking like there may have been just one pressing? Glad yours is good.

Also have a sealed one too, but picked that up on the cheap when me forget where was blowing them out at like 35 bux a few years back. Keeping it sealed :LB

I checked my records: it was Deep Discount. (That's where I got mine, too.)

Yeah come to think of it, that is where I think my extra copy came from too - on the cheap right humprof? :giggle:

Yeah come to think of it, that is where I think my extra copy came from too - on the cheap right humprof? :giggle:

Right. That's the one consolation: at least I didn't spend a fortune on this failed disc. Plus, I got a nice coffee-table book out of the deal. And some CDs that I never listen to. And the lossy 5.1 files are still okay--for now....

I have been thinking of how we can get an outcome.
Has anyone considered the actual manufacturer of the discs?
Perhaps they should be more liable for the defects and responsibile for replacement?

I have been thinking of how we can get an outcome.
Has anyone considered the actual manufacturer of the discs?
Perhaps they should be more liable for the defects and responsibile for replacement?

Yes: I emailed four people at Optimal Media--two in Customer Relations and two in Quality Control. That was a week ago. Crickets. (I doggedly "bumped" the emails earlier today.)

Granted, I haven't tried them all.
Netflix allows you to watch end credits.

I also found this thread today for the first time, and ran (in anticipatory horror) to my Aqualung BD, stuck it my vintage Oppo BDP-95, and, thank My God, it seems to be fully functional. I didn't play all six audio versions start to finish (that would take most of a day, including the bonus tracks), but spot-checked through all of them and didn't find any issues. My disc has the same IFPI and matrix numbers as everyone else has listed. Sincere condolences to all who have discovered their disc isn't fully working... here's hoping it isn't inevitable on all of ours, which apparently are all from the same manufacturing run.

Back