Jethro Tull - Aqualung BluRay Audio Failing?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more note for anyone trying @scooob 's method: if you're using Windows to copy to a USB drive, make sure that destination drive is formatted using NTFS rather than FAT, since FAT won't let you transfer files larger than 4GB.
Good point humprof, I should have mentioned the need to use NTFS formatting on the flash drive, due to the file size. And it's true as well if you're using a Mac instead of Windows to copy the file. Except, even worse on a Mac, you can't format or write to an NTFS drive without getting an add-on driver. The one I bought is Paragon's Microsoft NTFS, but there are others, including some freebies that I didn't try (they all looked a bit dicey to me).

Good point humprof, I should have mentioned the need to use NTFS formatting on the flash drive, due to the file size. And it's true as well if you're using a Mac instead of Windows to copy the file. Except, even worse on a Mac, you can't format or write to an NTFS drive without getting an add-on driver. The one I bought is Paragon's Microsoft NTFS, but there are others, including some freebies that I didn't try (they all looked a bit dicey to me).

And after all that, scooob: I'm not succeeding in playing from a BDMV folder (on a USB drive) on either my 103 or my 205.

A friend kindly shared a rip of his still-functioning BDA (the whole thing is roughly 32GB), but my Oppos simply read the folder structure without seeing anything in any of those folders to "Play." I've also tried putting the the BDMV folder and its sub-folders inside an AVCHD folder; same results.

Mods: if I'm crossing the line on allowable content here, please delete this post and I'll gladly continue this conversation via PM, assuming scooob (or anyone else) is willing.

And after all that, scooob: I'm not succeeding in playing from a BDMV folder (on a USB drive) on either my 103 or my 205.

A friend kindly shared a rip of his still-functioning BDA (the whole thing is roughly 32GB), but my Oppos simply read the folder structure without seeing anything in any of those folders to "Play." I've also tried putting the the BDMV folder and its sub-folders inside an AVCHD folder; same results.

Mods: if I'm crossing the line on allowable content here, please delete this post and I'll gladly continue this conversation via PM, assuming scooob (or anyone else) is willing.
Really sorry to hear that, humprof. On my USB drive, in the NTFS-formatted partition, I just created a new folder named "Aqualung Blu-ray backup" or similar, and then copied the BDMV file (which incidentally doesn't look like a folder on the Mac; it shows as an "AVCHD Collection") to the new folder. When I navigate to the "Aqualung Blu-ray backup" folder on the OPPO, it doesn't show me any contents, like it would with a folder containing a FLAC file; instead it just immediately starts playing the content, as if the disc was inserted.

According to this table, both the 10X and 20X OPPO models should be able to play MKV files. But it doesn't look like an official OPPO publication. Do you know if the BDMV file was created using the MakeMKV "Backup" function specifically? That's what I used and the output it created was over 35GB, which is larger than you mentioned.

Wish I could be of more help; I'm a newbie with this, and I feel like I just lucked into getting it all to work...

When I navigate to the "Aqualung Blu-ray backup" folder on the OPPO, it doesn't show me any contents, like it would with a folder containing a FLAC file; instead it just immediately starts playing the content, as if the disc was inserted.

From everything else I've read, it sounds like that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

Do you know if the BDMV file was created using the MakeMKV "Backup" function specifically? That's what I used and the output it created was over 35GB, which is larger than you mentioned.

Not sure about the backup method, although the actual size of the containing folder is 35.2GB (which displays as 32.8). Anyway: more of a puzzle than an annoyance. There are other ways to hear & back up the music; I'm just intrigued by the possibility of replicating the experience of using the disc (before it went south...). Glad it's working for you!

Last edited:
Hey. Here is a thought. How about a new pressing but using the Wilson masterings and omitting the "contributions" by a Mr. Mew?
Of the Blu-ray? Not gonna happen. That would involve reauthoring, which costs money and time, and the de-Mewed mixes were already released on DVD as part of the "Adapted" set.

Am I the only one that thinks the blu-ray version, when it's working, sounds better, particularly the title track ?
The Bluray definitely sounds better in my opinion. From the discussions here i have gotten the feeling that the irritation has been for those with failing discs and not the audio quality itself. But i might be wrong?

Of the Blu-ray? Not gonna happen. That would involve reauthoring, which costs money and time, and the de-Mewed mixes were already released on DVD as part of the "Adapted" set.
Oh of course you are correct. I was just riffing on the idea that if disc failures are common and a re-press is needed, it would be great to swap in the better version. I have the subsequent version; which removes the "Mew"tilation but the audio is compressed (DTS) unlike the Blu Ray.

The Bluray definitely sounds better in my opinion. From the discussions here i have gotten the feeling that the irritation has been for those with failing discs and not the audio quality itself. But i might be wrong?
I prefer the quad on Blu-ray for sure, told this to Warner during the Adapted Edition work. :D

I wonder if there is a way to make the 5.1 mix in full, uncompressed form available. I have the Adapted Edition box; but as good as DTS 24-96 is, it is not at the same level of clarity of an uncompressed source. And an unmewtilated source at that.

I also liked the quality BR disc of the quad mix in particular. But I had to sell off both of my big 12x12 box sets for two reasons. 1) the disc failures are totally frightening, and all of them will likely go within 4-5 years. 2) it is bound to be reissued like the TAAB 5.1 is being done.

The last 20 years of surround mixes of music have been so incredible, even if some things don't get reissued - there are used copies to be found of everything.

I just checked mine. Happy to say it seems to play fine. I say seems because I only checked one song and switched between SW mix and quad mix in both DTS-MA and PCM. I need to play the whole disc but I think I dodged the bullet...hope so anyway!

And menu loads and settings work without a glitch.

My set was purchased brand new and not when it was first released. Perhaps several yrs later? I don't remember when I got it but it wasn't when it first came out, it sat in my Amazon cart for about the same time as the Pink Floyd Immersion sets before I bought them all. Were the Aqualung discs pressed in different plants?

My very extensive disc collection (DVD, BD, HD-DVD, CD, SACD, DVD-A) never sees >78F, and for at least the past 5+ yrs the room is kept 75 year round.

Maybe I just lucked out.

Based on reading the thread on DVD-A rot in the Doors Perception box set, I checked them too. No apparent problems there either.
I wonder if two years later your discs (the ones in question) are all still fine? I would not feel like I dodged a bullet with a disc that still played fine but was from the same batch of disc failures.

I’ve listened to the quad and 5.1 mixes in the last week. Prefer the quad. Have had no problems.
Quad is my favourite way to listen to Aqualung. Strangely enough my Blu-ray will only play quad completely.

I wonder if two years later your discs (the ones in question) are all still fine? I would not feel like I dodged a bullet with a disc that still played fine but was from the same batch of disc failures.
Just broke out my Aqualung Blu-ray disc and spot-checked quite a few songs, across multiple audio options, and it seems to still be fully functional, so I guess I'm lucky, so far anyway. I made an MKV backup of the disc when this issue first came to my attention, as detailed earlier in this thread, so it won't be the end of the world if my disc eventually rots, but I sure hope it doesn't anyway.

Right now I'm playing through and enjoying the quad mix, despite my usual preference for Wilson mix. I suppose I've been a bit of a 5.1 snob in the past, assuming that most quad mixes can't be as good as 5.1 or Atmos mixes done with newer technology and expertise. But, perhaps ironically, Apple Music streaming, which has exposed me to a lot of cool 70s quad mixes, as well as a lot of mediocre Atmos mixes, has given me a new appreciation for quad. That, and the Dutton Vocalion quad SACDs I've bought, which are almost all great. Not to mention, quad vinyl & tape conversions shared digitally (oops, did I just mention that?). This old dog is still learning, even if I can't always remember what it was a week later!

Just broke out my Aqualung Blu-ray disc and spot-checked quite a few songs, across multiple audio options, and it seems to still be fully functional, so I guess I'm lucky, so far anyway. I made an MKV backup of the disc when this issue first came to my attention, as detailed earlier in this thread, so it won't be the end of the world if my disc eventually rots, but I sure hope it doesn't anyway.

Right now I'm playing through and enjoying the quad mix, despite my usual preference for Wilson mix. I suppose I've been a bit of a 5.1 snob in the past, assuming that most quad mixes can't be as good as 5.1 or Atmos mixes done with newer technology and expertise. But, perhaps ironically, Apple Music streaming, which has exposed me to a lot of cool 70s quad mixes, as well as a lot of mediocre Atmos mixes, has given me a new appreciation for quad. That, and the Dutton Vocalion quad SACDs I've bought, which are almost all great. Not to mention, quad vinyl & tape conversions shared digitally (oops, did I just mention that?). This old dog is still learning, even if I can't always remember what it was a week later!
I have a few quad mixes, and although my only surround setup is 5.1 with smallish speakers I'm a fan of a good mix when I hear one. In particular one of my favorites is DSotM in quad (original Alan Parson's mix) and it's an amazing mix. Rivals the later 5.1 mix bluray.

I guess technically I play quad as 4.1 since the bass plays through the sub, otherwise I wouldn't be able to with such small satellite speakers.

I have the 2xDVD Aqualung. By chance it turned out to be a lucky choice.

Last edited:
In particular one of my favorites is DSotM in quad (original Alan Parson's mix) and it's an amazing mix. Rivals the later 5.1 mix bluray.
Good example! I bought the Dark Side Immersion box a couple years back, specifically to get the Parsons quad mix, after reading here about how good it is. That was pricey (about $70), but checking now on what the set is going for, in retrospect I got a bargain. I've never been crazy about the 5.1 mix (mastered too loud, for one thing) and indeed the quad is as good as advertised, I think.

Apologies to the overlords (no slight intended!) for meandering off-topic...

Good example! I bought the Dark Side Immersion box a couple years back, specifically to get the Parsons quad mix, after reading here about how good it is. That was pricey (about $70), but checking now on what the set is going for, in retrospect I got a bargain. I've never been crazy about the 5.1 mix (mastered too loud, for one thing) and indeed the quad is as good as advertised, I think.

Apologies to the overlords (no slight intended!) for meandering off-topic...
$70 was pricy for all those discs included on DVD and BR plus CD I think was included. I found them priced nicely consider concert material, videos, outtake mix of the album and finally 5.1 and 4.0 mixes. A total deal there before prices started going up.

Back