DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - BENEFIT [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - BENEFIT

• Total voters
Still can't get the extra tracks to play in 5.1???
Edit finally got it but there seems to be a flaw in this DVD. I have to really work at it to get it to work.

First thing I did when I got the disc was suck all the bits into the computer so I could play everything back via the Squeezebox. Maybe there's some authoring issue that makes menu navigation unreliable, but there was no issue extracting the extra tracks to a hard drive.

I have to say this new mix made me re-evaluate the album. I've always enjoyed it but have preferred "Stand Up" before it and the slew of classic LPs after it ("Aqualung", "TAAB", etc). Mr. Wilson has done a marvelous job adding clarity and punch while providing a terrific surround sound experience (particularly when considering the limited number of tracks). As a result I have a new appreciation for many of the compositions.

Not sure what happened to MB's dreamy guitar riff on the ending coda of Nothing to Say. Sounds like that track went missing in action. It seems to be audible mainly from open mics in the Morgan studios. One of the band members says in the booklet that the album was recorded mostly live so that may explain why we can hear it at all. Since this is my favorite song on the album, this is no mere quibble. So the flat transfer of the original master recording is much more satisfying to me on this particular track. Nevertheless, I think the surround mix is quite good overall and the fidelity is better than the last two Tull albums in terms of EQ (e.g., My God on Aqualung) and dynamics (the whole of TAAB). This has always been one of my favorite Tull albums so my feelings are mixed. But the new mix does breathe new life into it, that is for sure.

This release gets a '9' from me, mostly cause of the lack of a DVD-A layer, but other than that, there's not many negative things I can say about this release at all.
This album has always been a 'dark horse' favorite of mine from the Jethro Tull catalogue, and Steven Wilson's stereo and 5.1 surround mixes have done a lot to add greater clarity to one fantastic record.
The mix is incredibly discrete given that everything came off an 8-track multitrack tape, and tracks like "With You There to Help Me", "Nothing to Say", and "To Cry You A Song" really shine with the added separation and clarity. They also have 5.1 mixes of other great tracks like "Sweet Dream" and "Teacher", plus I have finally grown to love "Singin All Day", a track about nothing that sounds great!

This release is a must have for anyone who remotely likes Tull. One of their very best.

My boyfriend has become addicted to it. He brought it along for yesterday's mall trip, even though we've listened to it several times lately.

Get it!

I've listened to the DVD-DTS several times now. The mix does shine throughout. I particularly like the way the guitar work has been placed across the rear channels. Very effective and really quite analogous to having vocals in the rear channels.

I can also put in a plug for the flat transfer of the original album. This is the best I've heard it, at least compared to the 1970 original U.S. Reprise vinyl release and the 2001 Chrysalis CD remaster.

All the way around this is great listen.

Great surround mix decent music a 9.

I made a DTS-DVD for the car containing this album, Aqualung, and TAAB all in sequence with the B-sides from this album right after the album proper. Better than fumbling with the menus on the retail DVDs.

I actually had never heard this record all the way through, but it grew on me in a big way, which surprised me having grown up on the prog side of Tull, with Passion Play being my favorite. It surprised me how the lyrics are so much different than even Aqualung. Lots of lyrics that really mean nothing.

The mix is fantastic though, I wish I could marry the snare sound on the US mix of "Teacher".

Sad post. Will break out the Benefit and more this weekend. Almost saw GC in Paris (trio with Bob Welch and Hunt Sales) open for Queen on (ANATO) 1976 tour. They cancelled so Queen played for nearly 3 hours!

From QQ deep space

The only album I had previously by JT was Aqualung on a RB CD from the eighties... I only really listened to the big hits and the CD disappeared long ago. So, from a novel listener's point a view, I find the music, sound quality, and mix fantastic. Every song is a keeper, as well as the bonuses "Singing All Day" and "Teacher"... Even my 15 year old daughter likes this music. The surround mix is exceptional (what else from SW?) and the sound quality is very pleasing to my ears... I give this a 9. And now on to revisit Aqualung...

I discovered Tull at the tender age of 16 when Aqualung hit the racks...."Locomotive Breath" blew me away, and I was hooked. That one song pushed me on to getting bigger and better audio equipment. LB was the standard and the louder the better. So I followed JT on from there... buying every album they made for the next 7-8 years. Other than "Fat Man" and "Teacher" I had not heard or bothered to go back for the earlier albums.
What a mistake! Enter Steven Wilson. This disc is fantastic! Mix, Fidelity, Music all 10's. From the opening of "With you..." it just sucks you in. No bad tracks....all very crankable .... crisp, clear and clean. Would love to get the treatment for "Stand up" and "Songs from the Wood". Until then I'll crank this one.

I removed some of the sound absorption in my audio room; this disc in particular seems to benefit (I know, I know). Gotta say that I'm actually enjoying it and find myself playing it fairly often. I'll give it an 8 only because it's lossy. It's scary to think what this one would have sounded like if it had been hi-rez.

I have had this since 2014 but just voted 9 now. It is also the first Tull record I ever bought back in the day. It very good practically a 10 just has a lack of brightness that I would prefer. The surround mix is excellent by Steven W.

Back