DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - BENEFIT [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - BENEFIT

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this October 2013 CD/DVD (DTS) 5.1 release, mastered by Steven Wilson, of Jethro Tull's BENEFIT album. (n):phones(y)

EDIT: I love how the sticker on the front proclaims "DVD-AUDIO" and it is not. Oh well.

From the press releases: The audio-only DVD, which is available exclusively with this version, is packed with 58 tracks, including the album and bonus tracks in 5.1 surround sound. It also contains the U.K and U.S. versions of the album. The American version was sequenced differently and replaced the U.K. track "Alive and Well and Living In" with "Teacher. " In addition, the set also comes with a handsome booklet filled with rare photographs, an essay by Martin Webb, and interviews with band members.

Tull Benefit Discs 700.jpg
Tull Benefit Front 700.jpg
Tull Benefit Back 700.jpg

Slowly...revealed ;)
DVD - My favourite in 5.1 sound; For Michael Collins, Jeffrey And Me - a really new day for this.

I'll wait to rate. & soak in more sound.

Cheers!

Picked up Benefit this morn !....... gave it a spin nice and loud and here are my thoughts!
Ive been a Tull fan my whole life and to have Tull in 5.1 is sweet!
Ok i listened to the DTS version The drums and Bass have a much more powerful punch to them, i felt TAAB lacked this , Not as punchy as Aqualung but Good!
The drums have a great placement in the mix and are very clear, according to Mr. Wilson all the dorms are on a single mono track so once again he has pulled a rabbit out of his ass! The bass has good punch also not muddy! The electric and acoustic guitars have very good clarity and mixed very well! Vocals are up front and clear and not just tied to the center channel. Listening to this its hard to imagine this was recorded on 8 tracks! one of my all time Tull Faves is "For Michael Collins Jeffery and me" great sound field created ! Teacher both versions are now properly running at the right speed and pitch ! I'm sure the real techs here will find something to complain about ,and that ok ! but having TULL in 5.1 is a real treat! can't wait for PASSION PLAY my fave Tull album, i know...... it just is!and last THANK YOU STEVE WILSON !!! for breathing new life into these older classics. A 9+

Picked up Benefit this morn !....... gave it a spin nice and loud and here are my thoughts!
Ive been a Tull fan my whole life and to have Tull in 5.1 is sweet!
Ok i listened to the DTS version The drums and Bass have a much more powerful punch to them, i felt TAAB lacked this , Not as punchy as Aqualung but Good!
The drums have a great placement in the mix and are very clear, according to Mr. Wilson all the dorms are on a single mono track so once again he has pulled a rabbit out of his ass! The bass has good punch also not muddy! The electric and acoustic guitars have very good clarity and mixed very well! Vocals are up front and clear and not just tied to the center channel. Listening to this its hard to imagine this was recorded on 8 tracks! one of my all time Tull Faves is "For Michael Collins Jeffery and me" great sound field created ! Teacher both versions are now properly running at the right speed and pitch ! I'm sure the real techs here will find something to complain about ,and that ok ! but having TULL in 5.1 is a real treat! can't wait for PASSION PLAY my fave Tull album, i know...... it just is!and last THANK YOU STEVE WILSON !!! for breathing new life into these older classics. A 9+

Match! Same thoughts.
http://jethrotull.proboards.com/thread/1593/benefit?page=3&scrollTo=43090

I can't wait for APP.

My set is different i don't have the half slot to slide the booklet into! its a picture of the album cover and you just slide it in !

Ditto mine has the slide in slot with the album cover too, also from amazon.com. PS: lovin' it! Yet another hit out of the park from Mr. Wilson!
Count me in as another one looking forward to A Passion Play can't wait, I loved this from day one I even enjoy the intermission that is
The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles!

Can't wait till my next day off, going to have a Tull in the surround day: Benefit (DTS), Aqualung (DTS), TaaB (DTS), TaaB 2 (DTS), Warchild (Quad DVD-A)
And when A Passion Play comes out I'll do it all over again, and again and again.....................

I set out to Best Buy to pick it up when i got there they didn't have it so i popped next door to FYE and asked the clerk vanished in the back for 10 mins i was going for the door thinking he was blowing me off when he came out with it ! The kicker ..........I paid 19.55 with tax! I gave this another listen to last night again at a lower listening volume and it sounds great ! The Kick and Bass have a nice punch to it ! TULLs music is great for 5.1 I only hope MR. W continues Songs from the Wood and Warchild are great candidates for 5.1 !

Ditto mine has the slide in slot with the album cover too, also from amazon.com. PS: lovin' it! Yet another hit out of the park from Mr. Wilson!
Count me in as another one looking forward to A Passion Play can't wait, I loved this from day one I even enjoy the intermission that is
The Story of the Hare Who Lost His Spectacles!

Can't wait till my next day off, going to have a Tull in the surround day: Benefit (DTS), Aqualung (DTS), TaaB (DTS), TaaB 2 (DTS), Warchild (Quad DVD-A)
And when A Passion Play comes out I'll do it all over again, and again and again.....................

Last year i saw Ian Anderson here on Long Island at a small venue , He performed "The Hare" live walking around the stage with a pair of spectacles on reading from a book called 'Trout Farming Manual"
As you can see he likes to ham it up for the cameras!_MG_0603.jpg

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING DEPARTMENT - Nobody Cares Division - Sector Five, Point One

When an audio DVD disc is proclaimed on its' sticker to be DVD-Audio, and we're the only one's who notice/care! :(

Tull Benefit Sticker.jpg

I haven't finished listening yet, but the DVD wouldn't come off of the case spindle. I was afraid I'd crack the disc trying to get it off. I finally had to push down so hard on the spindle that it cracked the case, but I got the disc out. I guess it's going back into a standard jewel box.

I haven't finished listening yet, but the DVD wouldn't come off of the case spindle. I was afraid I'd crack the disc trying to get it off. I finally had to push down so hard on the spindle that it cracked the case, but I got the disc out. I guess it's going back into a standard jewel box.

pretty much the same experience for me.. very hard getting the disc off the spindle.. the exact same thing happened with the Primus Blu-ray Deluxe Ed. as I recall. crazy isn't it.. what was so wrong with the good old jewel case!? they aren't perfect but much more reliable than any other alternative the industry's come up with since - and they're swappable if they break. ah well, mercifully the contents of the DVD in this Tull set is absolutely wonderful.

Back