DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Live At The Palais de Sports July 1975 [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - LIVE AT THE PALAIS DE SPORTS JULY 1975

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 3 14.3%

Votes: 11 52.4%

Votes: 6 28.6%

Votes: 1 4.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
First and foremost, any critique of this bonus material from this set can in no way diminish the 10/10 rating of this set based on the 5.1 remix of Minstrel alone. It's just that good and nothing else matters.

This is a good JT show. You can hear all the instruments. It's FAR easier to listen to than the audience recordings we struggle to listen to from this period!
It's an excellent bonus for this release.

That's about it. It's not great sounding by any stretch. It sounds like a multitrack recording but there are clearly problems! At the very least there must have been monstrous bleed of the entire band in the vox mic as the mix is heaviest in the center channel with the entire band.

Being critical, the mix is muddy and awkward sounding for the most part. You CAN hear all the instruments but the balances and weight of the different instruments is all off. Pretty clear why this was never released on its own before! I have no doubt that this was cleaned up as much as possible. It is what it is.

Very much a hardcore fans only item here. Excellent bonus addition to the Minstrel album though. Mixing it to surround certainly didn't save it but at least spreading the mud around the room probably made it a little easier listen. There's nothing harsh on the ear so they did well on that part. I will say that a lot of the low end program - bass, kick, toms - is nicely balanced and presented. Something that is almost always lost in the live audience recordings.

10/10 for releasing something like this for the music even though flawed!
6/10 for a critical review of the sound

While I agree a high res lossless disc could top this one for sound quality perhaps. This poll is within the DTS and DD section of spotlight discs. So within that criteria is where we should be voting on the quality.

I doubt it. I very much understand that the worse shape a recording is in, the more perfect a copy you need to make or the remaining fidelity snowballs very quickly. A photocopy of a photocopy...

If you have a machine or app that is doing only a 'legacy' decode of the dts it could very well be adding to the mud. But the damage here is magnitudes more obvious than the damage one would expect from a legacy decode of the dts. Heck, the damage here far exceeds what dolby does! A proper decode of the dts 24/96 FAR exceeds the quality of this compromised recording.

The mud isn't from the lossy dts format on this one. It's simply a flawed recording. It's been cleaned up pretty well to be able to appreciate the music but it's far from any kind of recording to merit an audiophile discussion.

Last edited:
First and foremost, any critique of this bonus material from this set can in no way diminish the 10/10 rating of this set based on the 5.1 remix of Minstrel alone. It's just that good and nothing else matters.
10/10 for releasing something like this for the music even though flawed!
Also, there are songs missing from the concert... that's why only one live CD.
Sealion
Ladies
(Drum Solo)
Thick as a Brick :whistle:
War Child Play
War Child Suite

Great 5.1 live mix.

A few seconds of Thick as a Brick. Just to see Jeffrey in action.

Footage from New York August, with audio from July 75.

Back