DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - Songs from the Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I must admit I was surprised how good this album is. I didn't really get into Tull much after War Child but I am liking this album a lot reminds me of Thick as a Brick in places. I will give it a 9. The concert footage is crazy! Those were the days.

pretty much everything you could hope for and more! great surround, tons of extras, a nice album to boot....what more could ya want? solid 10.

5 minutes ago just got this from the mailman-via "the shed ".

20170622_114526.jpg

Hurray !!! To-nite some More Tull.:upthumb

Short take: Unless you hate Jethro Tull, this is essential listening.

The two most anticipated surround releases of the last 12 months have been delayed to my sweet spot for various reasons. The other one (sorry Beatles) was the Pink Floyd Early Years box. I finally got Songs From The Wood two days ago, a full month after the release date (my May was intense).

I have noted elsewhere (https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/jethro-tull-5-1.14476/post-316800) that this WAS my 2nd most anticipated unreleased surround release, and now it is here.

A Blu-ray release would have been nice, but I can find no fault in the audio quality, and the vintage 1970s video would not have seen any appreciable benefit from the greater resolution that Blu-ray can offer. So that is not a stumbling block for me.

I had been hoping that the title track would receive a mix treatment similar to the Eagles "Seven Bridges Road," and I am delighted to say that the 5.1 mix does not disappoint. I have not yet isolated the tracks for deeper scrutiny, but I do not need that level of analysis to know that this mix is delightful to the ears.

The album occupies the sweet spot of my nostalgia, as I was 15 years old on the date if its' release. I wore the groove of this LP through to the flipside, and have loved the songs ever since.

I consider Velvet Green to be nothing less than a masterpiece, and in my opinion it stands as at lease among their best work, if not their very best. To have this particular song in both 5.1 and original unreleased quad is beyond my best hopes. I really thank the compilers of this box for digging up and including the four quad mixes. I too am a little surprised that there has not been more discussion of their inclusion. I need to do more listening before I can properly compare and contrast the quad & 5.1, but I have always believed that having two different surround mixes is great. Adds perspective to the music, particularly when they were mixed in two different eras.

The video is excellent. I am still warming to the mix on the video, but the fact that it was mixed in surround at all is a delight. Most video from the 70s is mono or stereo audio only.

No surprise to find that I voted a 10 on this.

Last edited:
This series of releases has been, imo, the best re-release set done yet. And this might be the best of the bunch. I never owned the album back in the day, but was familiar with all the music except the "Old Aces Die Hard" tune. What a great album! The surround mix is great, the extras are great including the old quad mixes and what a treat to get the old concert dvd. I can't find anything to complain about.

I never realized the surround polls wouldn't include these dts dvd releases, but think these are every bit deserving as dvd-a and bluray releases to be rated and this one (and many of the others) looks like it would be pretty high on the list.

K

Solid 10. Unbelievable 5.1 mix. Quite a bit more aggressive than past SW Tull remixes.

"Velvet Green" is worth the price of admission alone: probably one of the best surround mixes he's ever done!

The partial quad mix is an awesome addition (who knew Warner was doing quad mixes as late as 1977?), but the mixing choices are often really odd. It sounds to me like the lead vocals on "Velvet Green" are coming mostly from right rear? I wonder if these are rough mixes or some early attempt at a quad version, as the other Tull quads mixed by Robin Black are quite a bit better.

"Velvet Green" (5.1):

"Velvet Green (4.0)":

"Cup Of Wonder":

Last edited:
There is not much more to say that hasn't been said already about this release. The mix itself is a notch more discrete and aggressive than most Steven Wilson mixes (a good thing in my eyes). The sonics are pretty much the same high quality as past Tull deluxe reissues. And regardless what you may think of the DTS format, it sounds excellent. The packaging and value are top shelf. The extras are better than average. This vintage of Tull may not be your favorite (it isn't mine), but it is a damn fine performance.

I've given all of these reissues a 9 or 10. This one gets a 10, just because of the nicely aggressive mix and the extras.

This is a better Tull album than I remember. Already got a couple of tunes banging about in my head, kinda catchy.

Ring out Solstice Bells and the title track.

With Ring out Solstice Bells plus a few other previously issued seasonal themed tunes,, Ian has enough of them to make up an Xmas Tull Album .

The mix is quite good in surround and centre is not dominant (hurrah). The addition of the 4 Quad tracks is a wonderful surprise.
As is the live 77 concert by Jakko. So this becomes an easy---TEN.

I can't really add anything to what's already been said but:

The tunes: Superb. This, Minstrel and TAAB are my favourite JT releases so far.

Fidelity: Superb.

Surround Mix: Perfect. Velvet Green could be one of the best surround mixes I've heard.

Content: Awesome value. Including Magic Bells was a great addition. I haven't even gotten to the concert disc yet.

Another gem. Thanks; Mr Anderson for the musical genius and Mr Wilson for the mad skillz. If it wasn't for Steven Wilson, the musical world would be a whole lot less entertaining.

I'm convinced that I get a lot more entertainment value out of this Tull reissue series than any other artist.

Offhand I can think of ...

The Aqualung release with the full Morgan mix of Wondring Aloud (Wondring Again). And the full quad mix of the album as well... just like the one I heard from a Q8 in my teens, with the alternate mix of Wind Up.;)

There's the Passion Play release that gave us the Video of Hare Who Lost His Spectacles. Again something I had never seen, and didn't even know existed. Though I'm not a big fan of the poem itself, I found the video quite entertaining. And I must be the only guy who thinks the lead-in/lead-out music for the poem itself is some of the best instrumental stuff Tull ever did. No one ever mentions it. Did I bring up the inclusion of the full Dis'aster sessions yet? :banana::banana::banana:

This release gave me the enjoyment of comparing Magic Bells (which I had never heard) with Solstice Bells (which I had heard many, many times). I found it a great experience to compare them. I know it sounds kinda trivial, but these kinds of added bonuses do a lot for my enjoyment of the overall release.

If the polls gave out points for VALUE these reissues would be at the very top :cool:

Last edited:
I'm convinced that I get a lot more entertainment value out of this Tull reissue series than any other artist.

Offhand I can think of ...

The Aqualung release with the full Morgan mix of Wondring Aloud (Wondring Again). And the full quad mix of the album as well... just like the one I heard from a Q8 in my teens, with the alternate mix of Wind Up.;)

There's the Passion Play release that gave us the Video of Hare Who Lost His Spectacles. Again something I had never seen, and didn't even know existed. Though I'm not a big fan of the poem itself, I found the video quite entertaining. And I must be the only guy who thinks the lead-in/lead-out music for the poem itself is some of the

FWIW, the Hare video had been made available previously (as a Quicktime video) on the remastered APP CD from 2003 . Maybe also on one of the old boxed sets (? not sure about this)

Oct 4, 2017 Jethro Tull: Songs From the Wood: 40th Anniversary Edition https://www.soundandvision.com/content/jethro-tull-songs-wood-40th-anniversary-edition
Once again, Steven Wilson’s seasoned ear and steady hand have resulted in a sur- round mix that only serves to add to the substantive sonic legacy of Jethro Tull. Wood has never sounded so sweet from tip to toe or so worthy of whistling along to on the seventh day.

I just received This Was a couple of days ago and I gave it a 9 because it didn't quite measure up to the 5.1 re-mixes of Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses only to realize I never actually gave SFTW a rating. So obviously this one gets a 10. Title track and Solstice Bells are highlights.

Back