Jethro Tull - 'Stormwatch 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition'

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Dun Ringill too, but I've always struggled with the rhythm. It's one of the rare instances where I can't detect the time signature. When he sings "By Dun Ringill", the "By" doesn't come when I expect it to, and the rest of the phrase seems half a beat off from the guitar. Very strange. The guitar is the best part of the song, but to this day I still don't know where the downbeat is. I'm not sure I'm listening to it right. Kinda frustrating. I need a video with rolling lyrics and a bouncing ball to help me with the beat :)

The Police "Spirits in the Material World" is another one where the rhythm baffles me (the verses, not the 4/4 chorus). The bass line throws me off completely. Again, I'm not sure where the downbeat is.

And then there's Led Zeppelin's "The Crunge", where I can follow the song but the signature eludes me.

Last edited:
Dun Ringill is one of my favorites too. Pretty sure I read somewhere that SW mentioned it as being one of his too.
Is there something tricky in the time signature? I thought it was in 6/8.

"Dun Ringill" is in 6/8. The delay effect on the vocal can throw you off though. If you ignore the vocal and focus on the guitar, you can keep in time with it.

"Spirits in the Material World" is straight 4/4. It throws you off because nothing happens on the downbeat of each measure. The guitar/synth chords come on the "and" of each beat. One of the better examples of the awesomeness of the Copeland/Sting rhythm section.

Copeland/Sting rhythm section.

When I first heard the Police I wondered why I had heard the name "Copeland" before -- no, not the composer -- then I realized he had joined Curved Air when he married the lead vocalist, Sonja Kristina (the "Midnight Wire" album was his first appearance, and he looks rather hippie on the cover, haha).

Curved Air were / are -- they are still touring, last I heard -- a fantastic prog band. Their first album was a milestone British psych one (I thought of them as a Brit Jefferson Airplane at the time!). To have Copeland go from them to the Police really did signify that music was changing in the 80s. . . .

Tull was changing too -- always interesting. Can't wait for STORMWATCH, as his "British folk-prog" is very unique. And then there's SW ;)

Stormwatch due 11 October, hurrah!

A 4CD/2DVD set, the STORMWATCH: 40th ANNIVERSARY FORCE 10 EDITION
Highlights include:
- Original album and associated recordings newly remixed by Steven Wilson
- Full concert from the Netherlands recorded in March 1980
- Original album and 13 associated recordings mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital
- Flat transfer of the original 1979 mix at 96/24 LPCM stereo
- 15 associated recordings mixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo and five original mixes at 96/24 LPCM stereo
- Presented in a case-bound DVD book filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Anderson and Palmer, rare photographs and more

Aww Yeah! :rocks Another long time Tull favorite of mine.
King Henry's Madrigal in 5.1? Fookin' A!!! :SG

I've had a boot of the live show on this set for many years. Going to be nice to have an upgrade of this fantastic show

I have to admit I'm rather disappointed that the 5.1 mixes aren't in 96/24, but at least we can be thankful they didn't include vinyl.

Next question on my mind is...how much?

Back