DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - STORMWATCH [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - STORMWATCH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Does anybody know when the 5.1 boxes, that are selling for super high prices, will be re-released. At least three of them have been on back order for a year and a half!!!
I have read that there are no plans to re-press any of them except Benefit, and that is coming in book form like the others. It didn't originally come in that type of package.

Bummer too as Stand Up is excellent.
Definitely one of my favorites in the series. I love all the active panning Steven did in the surround mix - the flute solo going around-the-room in "We Used To Know", guitar solo bouncing back-and-forth in the rears in "Back To The Family", guitar jumping from speaker-to-speaker at the end of "Nothing Is Easy", etc. Unlike some of the other Tull 5.1's, it feels more like a fun old quad mix from the '70s.

As for the topic of the thread, I agree with @keywhiz that the 5.1 of the main album is surprisingly tame for SW. The opening track kicks off with the rhythm section, flute, and electric guitar all upfront, with just the occasional tom fill hitting the rears. I thought the 'Associated Recordings' on DVD 2 had far more interesting surround mixes, particularly the fantastic alternate version of "Dun Ringill".

I know it's a bit late now, but I'd suggest everyone sign up for the Burning Shed newsletter (email) out of the UK. I have all of the JT box sets as I pre-ordered the titles from them as soon as they were announced (because of their immediate notification). The price is also cheaper for overseas buyers (like me) as they knock off the British VAT of 20%, and if the "Benefit" book-set rumour is true, you won't miss out.

Yeah, pretty much. Was just getting familiar with JT and that one didn't grab me like Benefit, Aqualung, TAAB, etc. did. :(
It was This Was that caused me to reconsider Stand Up. Viewing it as a historical documentation of the rise of the band made it more interesting to me.

Oh my god!

I remember when I was 10 at a family friends vacations, my friend and me listening the recent released Stand Up recorded in a cassette tape. I can't explain it but Bouree hypnotized me in such a way at that early years....

And now, after so many years (I'm 62), again I cannot explain it and Bouree keeps hypnotizing me. But has to be that original version with the Glenn Cornick bass interlude.

The rest of the album is excellent and I even like it better than Benefit. I learned to listen to music with those Albums at that time.

I have read that there are no plans to re-press any of them except Benefit, and that is coming in book form like the others. It didn't originally come in that type of package.
Benefit is not one of my favorites, but I'd certainly buy it again just to have it in the same sized box as all the rest. It's the sore thumb on my JT shelf!

And Thick As A Brick. Unfortunately, I have the earlier defective package and have never been able to find a newer one that I was certain was even a newer one, let alone at a price I was willing to pay.

While I don't imagine that SW would be involved, has anyone heard if there are any plans to continue on with Tull reissues? Or is Ian pretty much done figuring there wouldn't be much market for the 80s stuff?

I'd love to hear a SW mix of "A"! The psychedelic element from Jobson on that is greatness. The stereo mixes are so stepped on...

Speaking of stepped on. The last 3 from this lineup (Songs - Storm) got hit with the late '70s studio budget cuts and declining vinyl quality. While at the same time their mixes were evolving and getting denser. A disaster! The original unmolested stereo mixes finally available for these last 3 are just SO welcome but now they're finally right! I'm finally hearing these for the first time properly and while they might not be another Passion Play or TAAB, there's a lot here to love!

That Stand Up album. I'm normally more attracted to the proggy stuff that went into high gear on TAAB and Passion Play. But something about Stand Up is so timeless sounding to me. The first time I ever heard it it became a favorite. I only ever warmed up to This Was after the SW remix. Listening to it originally was more like checking it off a to do list. Was always kind of chilly to Benefit too. Warming up to it a bit more in recent times though.

Anyone else have a relationship with the Living In The Past collection and put that back together for yourself?

While I don't imagine that SW would be involved, has anyone heard if there are any plans to continue on with Tull reissues? Or is Ian pretty much done figuring there wouldn't be much market for the 80s stuff?

According to this post, a book set reissue of A is definitely in the works. In an interview from a few years ago, Steven mentioned that Broadsword could be a possibility as well.
Mettler: So we’ve recently gotten in hand the surround version you’ve done for Songs From the Wood (1977), and I imagine Heavy Horses (1978) will soon follow. What comes after that? Is it A (1980), or The Broadsword and the Beast (1982)?

Wilson: Stormwatch (1979) would be next.

Mettler: Right, right. Would you do Stormwatch in 5.1, if Ian Anderson asked you to do it?

Wilson: I would. In terms of future Jethro Tull — hopefully Heavy Horses early next year, and Stormwatch hopefully sometime late next year. After that, I honestly can’t say.

Mettler: Understood. Was The Broadsword and the Beast an album that was on your radar?

Wilson: It’s an album I know, and I like it, so that could be something, yeah. And I do love that this stuff comes to me to do, but I’m proactive too. I’ll go out there and I’ll try to talk people into letting me have a go at their catalog.

I seem to recall Ian mentioning a while back that Jakko would be his choice take over the remixing duties if SW doesn't want to keep doing them?

Interestingly, on Episode 7 (1979, Part 1) of his "Album Years" podcast, SW says that his two very favorite Tull tracks are on this album. (I forget which tracks they were.) Both Wilson and Bowness regard the album very highly.

https://anchor.fm/the-album-years
Yep. It’s been mentioned many times here that Stormwatch was one of SW’s favorites. Which is the main reason we all presumed the series would continue at LEAST this far.

Doesn’t increase MY regard for it at all however. I’m gonna guess there are a bunch of albums I absolutely love that he doesn’t like very much at all. :).

Doesn’t increase MY regard for it at all however. I’m gonna guess there are a bunch of albums I absolutely love that he doesn’t like very much at all. :).
As should be the case - to each his own. I happen to love Stormwatch and like and appreciate a good portion of what Steven Wilson has achieved in the surround domain, but I doubt he's ever going to convince me to listen to ABBA.

Back