HiRez Poll Jethro Tull - THE ZEALOT GENE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Jethro Tull - THE ZEALOT GENE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new album from Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull entitled "The Zealot Gene".
The deluxe edition of the album features a 5.1 surround mix from King Crimson's Jakko Jakszyk on Blu-Ray Audio.

(y) :) (n)

81s2LL0q1ML._SL1500_.jpg

71dnjRqlvWL._SL1207_.jpg

I bought the 2CD/BR and first listened to the music for a while. Certainly a creditable Jethro Tull album. The surround experience? It starts off strong with a walk-in from the background. Then no sensational flyers, but everything very functional in the service of the atmosphere and the music. I am very pleased with that, but I am disappointed in the presentation. Just that Mr. Anderson selfie. As support none of the now known videos. No other extras. And what about the packaging? Why not like the special editions. Final verdict: 8.

I received the 2CD/1BR package a few days ago and have listened to all of it several times. Lyrically The Zealot Gene recalls many of the same themes found on Aqualung, but musically aligns most closely with the folk-rock trilogy Songs from The Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch. While it certainly doesn't surpass any of those titles, it nevertheless can stand credibly alongside them. The production and fidelity of the recording are excellent, with deep bass and crystalline highs that really support the acoustic instruments. Another strong plus is the album's consistency - all the songs are engaging, excellently played by the band, and well paced - I've never felt the urge to skip any of them. Ian Anderson's voice is of course not what it used to be, but great care has been taken to enable him to sing comfortably in his current range - he does sound better than he has on the last 2 studio albums and despite being 74 years of age, he still sounds like Ian. His guitar and flute playing skills are as good as they ever were, perhaps even better. In addition to the 12 main songs, a second CD contains 31 minutes of 13 demos and "ideas" for the songs (including a fragment of one that didn't make it on to the album). Most of these are 2-3 minutes long and are just Ian singing, playing flute and guitar (against some overdubs) and talking through some of the song sections. Despite their simplified and raw nature, these very listenable tracks give us a fascinating and somehow charming glimpse into Ian's song writing process - if nothing else they amply illustrate his innate talent.
On the blu-ray, Jakko Jakszyk's surround mix is consistently immersive and directional, with various instruments (piano, harmonica, accordion, synths, etc.) along with Ian's backing vocals all appearing clearly and sometimes forcefully in the rear channels. Ian's lead vocals, flute and guitar remain mostly front and center. Jakko does a particularly good job with highlighting Ian's backing vocals in the rears on several tracks, especially on Barren Beth, Wild Desert John, which has emerged as a favorite. This mix never calls attention to itself or intrudes on the music - instead it simply enhances the listening experience. I'm giving it a 9. Interestingly, Ian has said that he did not direct Jakko or oversee the surround mix - he simply handed over the files and let Jakko do his thing.
Unfortunately, I'm less impressed with the packaging of this release. First, although the book is constructed well enough, the size is weird - 11 1/4" x 11 1/4". It doesn't really fit with the big LP sized box sets, nor does it fit with all the other Tull bookset reissues - it's an odd duck and annoying. It's really too big for the 3 discs included (the reissue book set size would have been ideal). Ian has said he likes the bigger size because it's easier to read - but that ignores something called font size which could be enlarged if that were a real problem. The included book is also quite thin - there just isn't that much text included. I suspect Inside Out / Sony did not want any confusion with the Charisma / Warners reissues. I'm also a bit disappointed with the blu-ray contents. It just contains the main album tracks in surround and stereo (in 48kHz/24 bit) - none of the released videos are included, and none of the demo tracks either, even though there is ample space on the blu-ray disc. Definitely not as generous as the reissues - another Sony decision? A final nitpick - as others have commented, I'm not that fond of the monochrome cover with Ian kind of glaring out at you. I get that he's probably making multiple points with this cover, but it's a bit much. Inside the book is a beautiful color photograph of a high cathedral ceiling surrounded by stain glass windows with Jethro Tull The Zealot Gene printed over it - that would have made a great cover. So, for the weird packaging and the stingy blu-ray I'm rating a 7. However, the music is the most important thing to consider so if you like Jethro Tull and/or surround, this release is highly recommended.

...A final nitpick - as others have commented, I'm not that fond of the monochrome cover with Ian kind of glaring out at you. I get that he's probably making multiple points with this cover, but it's a bit much...

Can't stand the scowling selfie cover photo, literally had to paste an alternate picture over it.
(Also often turn off the monitor so I don't see it while the disc plays.)

Impressed with the large-format hardcover book otherwise.
Heavy slick paper, great color cathedral photos, b&w studio shots.
Appreciate the full lyrics, the actual King James verses printed out, outline, etc.

When did any artist supply song chords, key signature and tempo notes for an album?
A Zealot fake book for those playing along at home! 🎼🎶 🎹🎸

I don't see a credit for the art and production of the book, but it's top-notch and more than makes up for the ghastly cover photo.
I would add a point to a score for it rather than subtract.

...Inside the book is a beautiful color photograph of a high cathedral ceiling surrounded by stain glass windows with Jethro Tull The Zealot Gene printed over it - that would have made a great cover...

Works for me...

IMG_7132.jpeg

And now what absolutely none of you have been waiting for...my rating of The Zealot Gene. I'm giving it a (low) 9. I listened to it twice. It is an album for our times with IA putting a load of thought into it. I enjoyed it much more the second time around, but I liked the last four tracks on the first listen right off the bat.

IA's voice ain't what it used to be, but neither are some of my body parts. I'm giving him a pass on the vocals, otherwise I'd lower the score to an 8. However, I really like the way the album is instrumented. The playing is excellent. Sound quality is excellent. Jakko did a really nice job with the mix. The concept and its packaging are excellent. As with the other Tull box sets, it is good value for the money.

Just giving it a second spin right now.
Overall a super solid album for one of the longest living bands ever.
As some of you mentioned above Ian's voice is not what it used to be, but he still manages to make it super pleasant to listen.
The sonics are outstanding and the mixing it's really nice too.

It scores a solid 9 for me. It's going to be an album that I will keep playing during the next years for sure.

Pd: I don't know who told Anderson that cover picture was a good idea.

This is really disappointing.
I wasn't going to expect anything high energy or full on psychedelic. Everything post Broadsword is lower effort and not very creative IMHO, but still sounds like it was recorded in a studio with attention to detail. If their early catalog never existed to compare to, all these post releases might carry a little more weight.

This one has a real home brew sound to the mix and the music suffers from it. Too bad because there are actually more bits of interesting music in here than I've heard in a while from IA related projects. Original Tull albums had high mix standards. Then we got treated to the SW remixes. And then he releases something like this?! The mix is constantly masking everything in the low mids and the cymbals cut through crude and crashy sounding. The lead voice is mixed up front and with an isolated feel. It's not dry of any reverb but it comes across isolated and awkward. It sounds like a rough home brew scratch mix that doesn't match any of the production standards we've become accustom to.

Not much to say about the surround. The mix just isn't accomplished enough to matter. The vocals are duplicated in the center and front l/r often. The guitar is buried in low mid masking throughout. The drums are buried in murk save for the cymbals crashing through awkwardly. A few bits of stray instruments and backing vocals pop up in the back. It's not a faux surround mix with reverb in the back. It's just a really poor mix. All those post Broadsword albums might not win any mix awards (and some of them have mastering damage) but they at least have a certain professional standard. This one really doesn't. I think the last Hawkwind album might have a better mix! (They've been doing everything home brew for the last 10 years or so and their mixes are truly some of the worst you will hear.)

Just a cursory mix with proper vocal reflection support, proper balance with the rest of the instruments, and clarity on all the rest of the instruments would make a world of difference.

I received the 2CD/1BR package a few days ago and have listened to all of it several times. Lyrically The Zealot Gene recalls many of the same themes found on Aqualung, but musically aligns most closely with the folk-rock trilogy Songs from The Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch. While it certainly doesn't surpass any of those titles, it nevertheless can stand credibly alongside them. The production and fidelity of the recording are excellent, with deep bass and crystalline highs that really support the acoustic instruments. Another strong plus is the album's consistency - all the songs are engaging, excellently played by the band, and well paced - I've never felt the urge to skip any of them. Ian Anderson's voice is of course not what it used to be, but great care has been taken to enable him to sing comfortably in his current range - he does sound better than he has on the last 2 studio albums and despite being 74 years of age, he still sounds like Ian. His guitar and flute playing skills are as good as they ever were, perhaps even better. In addition to the 12 main songs, a second CD contains 31 minutes of 13 demos and "ideas" for the songs (including a fragment of one that didn't make it on to the album). Most of these are 2-3 minutes long and are just Ian singing, playing flute and guitar (against some overdubs) and talking through some of the song sections. Despite their simplified and raw nature, these very listenable tracks give us a fascinating and somehow charming glimpse into Ian's song writing process - if nothing else they amply illustrate his innate talent.
On the blu-ray, Jakko Jakszyk's surround mix is consistently immersive and directional, with various instruments (piano, harmonica, accordion, synths, etc.) along with Ian's backing vocals all appearing clearly and sometimes forcefully in the rear channels. Ian's lead vocals, flute and guitar remain mostly front and center. Jakko does a particularly good job with highlighting Ian's backing vocals in the rears on several tracks, especially on Barren Beth, Wild Desert John, which has emerged as a favorite. This mix never calls attention to itself or intrudes on the music - instead it simply enhances the listening experience. I'm giving it a 9. Interestingly, Ian has said that he did not direct Jakko or oversee the surround mix - he simply handed over the files and let Jakko do his thing.
Unfortunately, I'm less impressed with the packaging of this release. First, although the book is constructed well enough, the size is weird - 11 1/4" x 11 1/4". It doesn't really fit with the big LP sized box sets, nor does it fit with all the other Tull bookset reissues - it's an odd duck and annoying. It's really too big for the 3 discs included (the reissue book set size would have been ideal). Ian has said he likes the bigger size because it's easier to read - but that ignores something called font size which could be enlarged if that were a real problem. The included book is also quite thin - there just isn't that much text included. I suspect Inside Out / Sony did not want any confusion with the Charisma / Warners reissues. I'm also a bit disappointed with the blu-ray contents. It just contains the main album tracks in surround and stereo (in 48kHz/24 bit) - none of the released videos are included, and none of the demo tracks either, even though there is ample space on the blu-ray disc. Definitely not as generous as the reissues - another Sony decision? A final nitpick - as others have commented, I'm not that fond of the monochrome cover with Ian kind of glaring out at you. I get that he's probably making multiple points with this cover, but it's a bit much. Inside the book is a beautiful color photograph of a high cathedral ceiling surrounded by stain glass windows with Jethro Tull The Zealot Gene printed over it - that would have made a great cover. So, for the weird packaging and the stingy blu-ray I'm rating a 7. However, the music is the most important thing to consider so if you like Jethro Tull and/or surround, this release is highly recommended.
Excellent review that some may not bother reading as one single giant paragraph is a bit much to contemplate.

I voted 9. I absolutely loved this entire production.

The Book: Highly recommend. This reading hit me on all cylinders. I had about 7 years where I combed through the Bible, so this True Concept Album with it's Biblical overtones was not unfamiliar to me and in fact intrigued me to read the book entirely, which is not normal for me. Ian's ideas, his thoughts, how it was recorded, as a band, with Covid among us tracks 1,3,4,5,7,8,12 recorded at Modern World Studio and tracks 2, 6, 9, 10, 11 recorded at home ended up being highly informative. His break down of the used Bible verses was good reading for me. In the Tim Bowness interview he explains his view of what is Ian Anderson and what is Jethro Tull.

CD1 and CD2: These 16/44.1 discs are good quality. Why bother with Disc 1 when you can rip the Blu Ray, and Disc 2, all I can say why not put the demos (CD 2) on the Blu Ray.

Blu Ray: I listened to the hard disc in my Panasonic player 5.1 DTS HD MSTR at a comfortable 55db. Immediately, I was hit with the low bass/LFE sound, which made me check my levels, but I settled into the sound and enjoyed it. @srbjab says in his description above, I quote, " This mix never calls attention to itself or intrudes on the music", wow what a great description, that is it exactly, I love this mix, very calming and fitting for the music, not completely discrete and not completely immersive, front to back and right to left, a great surround experience.

Menu, screen visuals and size of book: Menu is as easy as they come, no frills, point and play. On screen aside with looking at Ian's big face which it seems others do not like, you can play a little game, and look at the words and compare to words on front cover. Regarding the size of book, I really don't care I own so many discs, there is no rhyme or reason to anything when released, many artists release different sizes.

Why did I vote 9 instead of 10? If I love this so much, why a 9. I only have one reason and that is the heavy bass, LFE, sound. It is not a deal breaker, it is just one of those mixes that I say to myself, if I did it, it would sound like.............
I hope you allow yourself to purchase this release and my advice is the book edition will enhance your ultimate music listening experience.
KEEP SURROUND POLLS PURE. NO OFF TOPIC OR NON RELEVANT CHATTER.

I have just given this a spin, first impression's not great, it's a very quiet mix, I had to really ramp the volume up on the DTS track, and the 5.1 mix is very poor on first listen, gonna give it another spin later and hopefully it will grow on me before I give me vote

Listened a couple of times now, though as always with Ian it's an interesting project the music is lifeless, the 5.1 mix doesn't help, was hoping for a return to form but this is not it , Ian misses Martin Barre for sure! I'm voting this a 5 I'm afraid

Ok, I'm here reading this old thread as I consider buying the box set. I'm sure I will, but probably going to search for a used copy at a lower price.

And one little note: I kinda like the IA/breaking bad cover picture! 🙃

Back