DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
It does sound very good. SW apparently balked in his ELP surround sound mixes...and he has subtly admitted to this in his posts.

Nothing subtle about it - he has clearly stated that the music of ELP did not inspire him and/or his experience working with ELP - most likely Greg Lake, was less than an agreeable.

Last edited:
I just got my replacement disc, and it's a major improvement over the defective one. I gave it a 10, even though it's not my favorite Tull album, because as the poll suggests, if it has great surround, great content, and great fidelity, it deserves a 10. I found the packaging very nice and the booklet material funny and interesting, too.

Nothing subtle about it - he has clearly stated that the music of ELP did not inspire him and/or his experience working with ELP - most likely Greg Lake, was less than an agreeable.

I am more than positive that it was the"working" with Greg part, he does not seem to be a "professional" in that sense (all real pros are agreeable people who you can talk to/at least work with) cause SW HAS to LOVE Trilogy and BSS...if that in ain't the truth, may lightning strike me down!

lightning-corp.jpg

I am more than positive that it was the"working" with Greg part, he does not seem to be a "professional" in that sense (all real pros are agreeable people who you can talk to/at least work with) cause SW HAS to LOVE Trilogy and BSS...if that in ain't the truth, may lightning strike me down!

Gave up on the replacement disc from EMI. Returned my original set to Amazon and have reordered from Burning Shed. Should have done this 8 weeks ago. Live and learn.

uh..ugh...no...can't stand the RS...would never quote them, don't have a single LP, CD, 45 ,cassette or anything by them ( I am of the Douglas Adams camp)...
but thanks for the cool photo....

Get used to them! - What do you think you'll hear in the nursey homes in a few years?

- Kristian

Gave up on the replacement disc from EMI. Returned my original set to Amazon and have reordered from Burning Shed. Should have done this 8 weeks ago. Live and learn.

Good move! Good luck. I found the Shed looks after their customers.

Geoff

I agree, the relacement disc sounds a lot better, although I still feel the original stereo mix sounds better than the new stereo mix.

But the DTS is much improved. What a shame it couldn't have been released as Blu Ray or DVD Audio. I will now have to upgrade to the new Oppo BPD105 just to get the very best DTS decoding! :rolleyes:

Geoff

Well, I did as promised and now am the proud owner of an Oppo BDP105. The relacement TAAB now sounds much better, almost as good as DVD Audio (through analog out on the Oppo). The stereo mixes are better too.

Geoff

I received 2 replacement copies on the same day after about 3 weeks! But then I sent notices to both EMI & Tull.
I'm having a hard time telling that this v.2 is an audio upgrade other then the vocal clipping. Guess I'll have to spend some more time with it.

I bought the original TAAB from Amazon US. About 2 1/2 weeks ago I sent an email to EMI requesting the new fixed DVD and never got an answer, although I sent them a copy of my receipt from Amazon us. After a couple of more email requests with no reply from EMI, I emailed Amazon and asked about a replacement DVD. They sent me an email that said they had refunded my money and said keep the album, no need to send it back.They gave me an option of reordering the fixed set with free one day shipping (which I did). The only problem was the new album was $7.00 more than what I paid for the original..but.... all in all Im pleased.. The album is great..... an easy 9.

I received 2 replacement copies on the same day after about 3 weeks! But then I sent notices to both EMI & Tull.
I'm having a hard time telling that this v.2 is an audio upgrade other then the vocal clipping. Guess I'll have to spend some more time with it.

Go to 5 minutes in and the difference is obvious with the phasing on the drums.

Good move! Good luck. I found the Shed looks after their customers.

Indeed they do! However, typically, the day that the set showed up from Burning Shed; I also got, not one, but two replacement discs from EMI. Can't make this stuff up!

I discovered Tull relatively late - mid '80s around the time of Beastie and the Broadsword but then had the immense pleasure of working my way back though their back catalogue and Thick as a Brick quickly became a firm favorite, so I was delighted to discover that it was being released in 5.1, that SW was mixing it and that we wouldn't have to pay stupid money (like Aqualung) to get it.

I must admit that I was completely sold even on the flawed first pressing. The distorted cymbals and drum-flange were horrible but I found the rest of the mix such a pleasure to listen to that I could almost overlook it. The mixing is, imho, very thoughtful and shows SW's obvious appreciation and understanding of the original and I find myself once again thanking the gods of music that we have a guy that really understands the originals, someone who grew up with them, doing these remixes of our musical heritage. I think I spent the first two or three listens (even of the flawed disc) grinning from ear to ear at the clarity, detail and SW's interpretation of how the parts should fit into the sound field. The obvious example is how he handles Anderson's multi-tracked vocals - just sublime.

The re-pressed disc fixes any gripes, though like others I had to get a refund from Amazon and get a decent copy from Burning Shed (well done BS!)

...almost forgot my rating: an easy 10. They don't get much better than this!

Back