DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
After a few listens it was time to cast my vote. Always one of my fave JT albums and I think Steven did a *fantastic* job with both the new 2.0 mixes and especially the 5.1 - the placements of the instruments in the rears along with selected vocal bits works perfectly for me, and everything is so freakin' crystal clear...love it.

10 for the mixes, but minus 1 for DTS only.

After the horrible sounding initial release, which I could not even listen to all the way through, I gave up on this one. I returned it to Amazon.ca and didn't look back.

Finally, I decided to re-buy it, after reading some glowing reviews, and I am glad I did. Wow... the difference is incredible. The first release sounded so dreadful I thought SW had lost his touch. Clearly, the poor sound wasn't his fault because this one sounds very good.

Too bad I already voted and gave it a very poor score. A new poll should really be started for the "fixed" release, because there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

Too bad I already voted and gave it a very poor score. A new poll should really be started for the "fixed" release, because there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

Great idea. It would be good to be able to compare the before and after polls. :banana:

A new poll should really be started for the "fixed" release, because there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

I agree. It's really a shame that this release should be stuck with such bad ratings for a faulty disc. My opinion is that while the new version sounds great, I don't think it's quite on the same level as Aqualung. I always figure my old ears are too shot to notice the difference in them, but I guess I wonder if it's the Bluray-DTS or if just the source is not quite as clean sounding.

K

After the horrible sounding initial release, which I could not even listen to all the way through, I gave up on this one. I returned it to Amazon.ca and didn't look back.

Finally, I decided to re-buy it, after reading some glowing reviews, and I am glad I did. Wow... the difference is incredible. The first release sounded so dreadful I thought SW had lost his touch. Clearly, the poor sound wasn't his fault because this one sounds very good.

+1
Really evil that the corrupted copy actually sounded legit (ie. wasn't just static or something equally obvious)!

I can't thank everyone on this forum enough for getting the word out!:)

......... A new poll should really be started for the "fixed" release, because there is absolutely no comparison between the two.

This is a great idea.

I will create a new poll thread for the reissue disc. You will all be able to revote in that poll. However, I am NOT going to move any comments from this thread to the new thread, so you'll have to repost your thoughts and comments on the reissue in that thread.

This way, we'll have a historic record of the birth of the reissue for future members to read through.

I will not close this thread, so continue commenting on the original disc if you like.

Thanks

Here's the link to the reissue poll thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?17523

Have just approved the new replacement DVD and it sounds wonderful now! At least to me it does, if you still think the 5.1 sucks then only me left to blame, flat transfer / no glitches (-:
Total enjoyment. Yes, it sounds wonderful now. Thank you very much.

Cheers to your good health & I welcome more Tull in 5.1 - A Passion Play will be a dream come true.

I just got a sealed version from the Amazon outlet at a great price. It was supposed to be used but it is new. Is there anyway to tell if I have the updated version (ahem, without opening it)?
Under the barcode it says X000ECA1WR and (WHD-3) and (251203).

I just got a sealed version from the Amazon outlet at a great price. It was supposed to be used but it is new. Is there anyway to tell if I have the updated version (ahem, without opening it)?
Under the barcode it says X000ECA1WR and (WHD-3) and (251203).

The only way to tell is to look at the disc itself. There's an extra little line on the good ones. I'd be very surprised if it has the updated disc in it. I guess Burning Shed did get some of the corrected ones so maybe it will be.

K

Darn, It is the defective one. Well, I only spent $11.45 including shipping. Wonder if there is still a way to swap it out...

Darn, It is the defective one. Well, I only spent $11.45 including shipping. Wonder if there is still a way to swap it out...

I just bought one through Amazon's Warehouse Deals myself, sealed, containing the defective disc. Emailed a screenshot of the receipt to [email protected] and got a reply indicating that they would send a replacement (haven't seen it yet, but that was just 9 days ago).

Mark Z

My local retailer has a copy.
I'm going to explain the situation and make sure they'll take it back if it turns out to contain the defective disc.
Failing that I guess Burning Shed or Amazon UK are my best bets.

I'm going to explain the situation and make sure they'll take it back if it turns out to contain the defective disc.

Burning Shed are the only retailer that I know of to guarantee that they're only shipping out non-defective stock. I bought from Amazon initially but although their returns process is, as usual, exceptional, their replacement process (at the time) was non-existent. They didn't appear to know what stock was good what was bad.

Open it right there in front of them, and look for the line. Don't accept it if it is missing the line...

The DTS 5.1 mix = totally killer and a full 10 from me

The New 2.0 Stereo mix = Sucks (edited by Bob Romano-nasty boy) The vocal sounds terrible!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to the new stereo mix on the CD all the way through, then the 96/24 stereo on the DVD for about 15 minutes. This was followed by the flat transfer of the original stereo mix.

Not sure I understand the complaint, for all its prior charm, the original sounded muffled compared to the new one IMHO.

Just FYI if someone at this late date realizes they do have the defective disc. I emailed per the instructions on this site on 6/24 and received my replacement disc today. So, they are still replacing them and fairly promptly.

My replacement disc came yesterday, about 5 weeks since their emailed response. Very pleased to get it, and a great buy from Amazon's Warehouse Deals at about $12 (sealed but had a small cut on the box, probably from someone opening a carton).

Mark Z

Back