DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
The only way to tell is to look at the disc itself. There's an extra little line on the good ones. I'd be very surprised if it has the updated disc in it. I guess Burning Shed did get some of the corrected ones so maybe it will be.

K

Can you explain in detail where this line is/isn't on the disc?

LOL! grill is faster than me! :)

Got it. Thank you. If this helps anyone else, I ordered it last week from Amazon (direct, not an marketplace seller) and it was the corrected version WITH the line on the DVD.

While I'm here, did EMI ever correct and reissue replacement discs for Aqualung 40th box set?

This was posted over in the SH forum, I guess I'll try going this route:

If a consumer that resides in USA requires a replacement disc, they should send an email to: [email protected]
The consumer should be prepared to provide proof of purchase, name and address and a replacement product will be mailed to them.

Should a customer want to return product, they may contact Capitol Customer Service at 800-914-8257 and pick-up can be arranged or sent back through the Capitol Returns Center in Franklin, IN.

I just tried this, but am doubtful it still works. I tried to check out the website emicapitol.com and it's offline. And I'm not in the US. So I guess I'm stuck with a crappy disc. Fuck! I'll browse the JT site and forum to check if there is an alternative

Yes, this is the address I sent my request, and got this:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
local delivery failed

Sorry. Its been over a year that I sent that message out. Hopefully someone else on the forum will have an answer for you.

Well, my only hope is to find a download. I stumbled upon the bad version quite easily on a torrent site. If I dig deeper, I might get lucky. And I won't feel like I'm stealing since I already bought the real thing.
Speaking of which, I did listened to it and found it not that bad. The glitches, even though they are obvious, are less bothering than the Aqualung ones. They're more like skips than noises. But the sound quality, .... yeah, I could do with a fuller sound. This is on the thin side. Lowering the trebble helps, but doesn't do it justice. It's a shame since the 5.1 separation is very interesting. If I can't find a corrected disc anywhere, I'll probably listen to it again, but maybe less often than if I had the best version available. It's kinda useless to vote on it, I could give it a 2 for the glitches, 4 for sound quality, 5 overall or 9 for the booklet, cd, flat transfer, and hi-rez 2.0. .....

With the greatly appreciated help of a forum member, I now have a version containing the intended dts track. What an improvement! I'm glad to have the cd and book, and this amazing 5.1 mix!
Many thanks!

Hi all,

I recently decided to give SW’s Jethro Tull mixes a go and ordered Benefit, Thick As A Brick and Thick As A Brick 2. Generally they sounded great, but something wasn’t quite right with Thick As A Brick, it sounded a bit bright and also bass light in places. A quick search of the forums bought me here (which is such a great resource for all things surround) and I found out about the mastering issue and it all made sense...

So, I set about trying to sort the problem out, I ordered a replacement from Amazon (as the book was also damaged), the replacement was still the old version with no line :( After reading this entire thread (and a few others!) I spoke to Amazon UK about the issue and they were less than helpful (the customer service guy didn’t even know what 5.1 was!) offering me another replacement or a refund. I went for the third replacement but that arrived yesterday and is also the faulty disc, aaarrggh!!!

I have also e-mailed the TULLDVD address (nothing) and all four of the EMI addresses that are listed in various places on these threads. I had one response from the EMI UK one (which sent me to another address) and they basically said I had to deal with Amazon, again less than helpful. I also e-mailed Burning Shed on the off chance that they may have some replacement copies left. They haven’t and basically said ‘it's impossible to contact EMI now as they have been taken over by Warners’ (their words) so it looks like a replacement from EMI is highly unlikely :( I'm pretty much at a loss at this stage…

From reading down the thread I noticed that a lot of the folks here who actually managed to get replacements ended up with more than one copy. Would any of you kind souls out there be prepared to part with one so I can finally hear this mix as SW intended? I can provide proof of purchase if necessary! ;) I really don’t know what else to do, I hope one of you guys can help me out…

Thanks!

I bought mine TAAB anniversary in 2015 and always thought that it must be the corrected version. But lately I read that the replacement DVD discs that ppl recieved had smal horizontal underline on the disc face under the album duration. Mine does not have it. Is it possible that i got the faulty one such a long time after the replacing took place (bought it in a web store). Or the line was only on the replac disc and later correct prints did not have it?

Another thing - is it availible to buy the 5.1 mix in digital form? I would just put it on memory card and keep it inside my box :D

I bought mine TAAB anniversary in 2015 and always thought that it must be the corrected version. But lately I read that the replacement DVD discs that ppl recieved had smal horizontal underline on the disc face under the album duration. Mine does not have it. Is it possible that i got the faulty one such a long time after the replacing took place (bought it in a web store). Or the line was only on the replac disc and later correct prints did not have it?

Some corrected pressings did not have the line apparently. One way to check was if the final "yeah" is present (corrected) or not (original).

My original uncorrected version also had a couple of glitches early on in the album. They sound like skips and are hard to miss... not subtle at all. I just assumed all of the defective copies had them. Is there some degree of defect among this release? Those skips were so noticeable (I think one even affected the vocal) you didn't have to rely on any of the sound quality aspects or the final yeah to know you had the defective copy.

I just re-read this thread and it made me happy because it shows this forum at it's best. No stupid pictures or off track posts. Just the facts, and to have the artist/producer correspond in the thread and let us know that the errors were errors and would be fixed is just incredible to see.

It's fun to re-read these old crisis threads when you have the knowledge of ten years past. New members who might have missed this should give it a read through

Back