DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Jethro Tull - THICK AS A BRICK [First Issue]

• Total voters
I got mine a week ago, although it is an import. I'll PM you as to where you might find it in your neighborhood.

Coincidentally, I'm giving it a listen right now. I like the mix. Great job, Steven! Although this is my 5th copy, it's never been my favorite Tull. It's meandering and purports to be far more cutting edge than it is. Sorry, just being honest. I've been a fan before most folks ever heard of Tull and have seen them live several times. This IS a good album, but is far from a great album.

As Mark Anderson said, the packing is a bit inconvenient. I like the pages turning on the screen as you listen, although the resolution is crappy. Since it's lossy and I prefer Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Living in the Past and Broadsword, I'll give it a 7.

The discs are labeled "CD side" and "DVD side." Kind of strange, since they're two separate discs. It would be appropriate if it were a DualDisc, but those have gone the way of the dodo bird.

When I get a chance, I'll A/B it with the MoFi Gold and 25th Anniversary editions and report back.

Is this actually in stores? I went to Best Buy and they have it listed for 11/13.

Amazon.com had it on the 6th. If you ordered ahead, it arrived on the 6th.

I pre-ordered with Amazon (Prime) back in September - got my copy today ( 1 day late). I haven't had a chance to listen but will tomorrow. I kind a like the package - great printing and binding job for the book - I'm less inclined to beat this one up strictly based on 96/24 DTS - it is what it is - we've all known for some time now that it wouldn't be lossless - no sense in going over a bridge about it. If the mix is good then that is what I'll base my evaluation on - I already know the music forwards and backwards - was priviledged to see JT perform TAAB in it's entirety back in '72 at Cornell University (when Hill Street Blues star and Heisman winner Ed Marinaro was BMOC - but I digress) - still stands as a top show for me.

My sentiments exactly, having lived through the "Surround-less" 1980's and 90's I'm kind of thankful and amazed every time I see any release like this. My ears can handle DTS 96/24 and my wall unit an odd sized box.
Oh Yeah, and the mix is exceedingly well done! BTW- I remember listening to Ed M's. Big Red games from 12 miles away in my little burg, called T-Burg. John

Another goof-up... The pages after the first couple are displayed in the wrong order.. e.g. it shows page 5 on the left and page 4 on the right....:mad:@:

More quality control from EMI....they need the QQ QA team to contract to EMI.....

nice little "crazy pan" of drums clockwise round the room, 10 mins into side 1..

..this is growing on me..
Ignoring EMI glitches. ;)
Certainly, every new listen is a treat. For me, less bright and it would be a perfect 5.1 experience. Subtle surround when it needs to be.

Music Review: Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick [40th Anniversary CD/DVD Set] - Author: Greg Barbrick — Published: Nov 07, 2012 http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=albums&thread=2165&page=1#32595

Well guys and girls, In My Humble Opinion:

I tend to think the packaging and contents rate a 10
Yes, I like the odd size and shape.

The sound is not too "bright" to me because after 20 years as a firearms instructor, my high end has diminished. :eek:
The surround effects are just right and not over the top.
So far I am the only "10" rating but that may change!

I must thank the "Usual Suspects" who make these wonderful packages available.
For awhile, I thought that our love for surround would fade away but these "hard chargers" keep the torch lit.

Thank You. :smokin

Well, kiddies, one of my CD store pals says that EMI is aware of several TAAB glitches and will be repairing them. Hopefully, it will be ALL of them. Too bad they couldn't get it right the first time. I hope that they fix not only the audio glitches, but clean up the resolution on the newspaper. On my two 1080P plasmas, trying to read the newspaper is as clear as looking through a screen door from 100 feet away.

WHY CAN'T THEY GET THIS STUFF RIGHT FIRST TIME..?!?!?

(Yes, I'm shouting. I make no apologies. This sh*t, petty as it is in the grand scheme of things, just drives me up the wall.)

The release itself was delayed -- and still EMI screwed up with the DVD authoring.

It's just a DVD-V. How hard can it be to knock up one of those??

now I have a defective product (that I'm not that thrilled with as it is anyway) that I simply cannot be arsed going to the hassle of returning to Amazon for a replacement.

:mad:

Don't blame Melinda Messenger!
Melinda+Messenger+picture+a30.jpg

Well, kiddies, one of my CD store pals says that EMI is aware of several TAAB glitches and will be repairing them. Hopefully, it will be ALL of them. Too bad they couldn't get it right the first time. I hope that they fix not only the audio glitches, but clean up the resolution on the newspaper. On my two 1080P plasmas, trying to read the newspaper is as clear as looking through a screen door from 100 feet away.

Thanks QL for keeping us in the loop. Funny how these new releases keep getting messed up. Ten Years After, Rush Boxes, TAAB, Unknown Ballad, etc etc.

Thanks QL for keeping us in the loop. Funny how these new releases keep getting messed up. Ten Years After, Rush Boxes, TAAB, Unknown Ballad, etc etc.

the apparent (lack of) effective quality control on these things, time after time, is getting pretty wearing now.

I know its all totally unrealistic to expect it but if the labels would send out promo's of these things to QQ/you Jon, before the finished product hits the shelves, they could have informed appraisals and input on these things from someone who knows what they're talking about, who really cares ...and save themselves all the fallout of recalling/repressing/recriminations.. re-re-re-repeatedly so!

In regards to the resolution on the newspaper, the easiest way to fix that is to re-encode it at 1080p and author it to a blu-ray - DVD resolution isn't going to "cut the mustard". :);) Maybe you could pass that on to your CD store pals.... oh yeah, that would give us - hi-rez audio too!!!

I just got my TAAB in the mail from Amazon today. Listening to it with my headphones on now as one of my boys is using my system to play WII and I was out all day going to the Jersey Shore on a barrier island that just today for the first time since Sandy let residents go down to assess the damages...army guys all over the place.
It sounds good as I hear it. I still have my original TAAB LP with the newspaper and it has been through a bunch of beach house party nights way back when. That tour was my favorite J Tull tour. Haven't purchased TAAB 2. Is is worth picking up or what?

TAAB 2 is wonderful. I expected a cheesy remake, and it was not that. Steven Wilson's mix on TAAB 2 (and 1) is delightful.

I just got my TAAB in the mail from Amazon today. Listening to it with my headphones on now as one of my boys is using my system to play WII and I was out all day going to the Jersey Shore on a barrier island that just today for the first time since Sandy let residents go down to assess the damages...army guys all over the place.
It sounds good as I hear it. I still have my original TAAB LP with the newspaper and it has been through a bunch of beach house party nights way back when. That tour was my favorite J Tull tour. Haven't purchased TAAB 2. Is is worth picking up or what?

I just got one of my 7yo twin boys to read the newspaper in TAAB. He wanted to do the crossword puzzle and I told him I didn't want him writing in the DVD package newspaper...then he said "can I at least do the connect the dots?" I said nooo!!!

Back