DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - THIS WAS [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - THIS WAS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I got into Tull after seeing them live at the Fillmore East in NYC. This was during the tour promoting Stand Up. I remember hearing maybe all of two songs from This Was on WNEW FM and WPLJ FM. Stand Up remains my favorite of theirs to this day, a direct result of first hearing them essentially play it live at a time when I happened upon them with no prior notions or expectations.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of this release. This Was was never at the top of my Tull collection but after giving this a couple of listens I don't know why I have always considered this lesser Tull. While it does pale in comparison to the re-mix of Songs From The Wood (which I just listened to prior to receiving this) and others re-mixed in 5.1, it is still nicely done in 4.1. It made me really appreciate the early bluesy incarnation of the band. I gave it a 9.

Now if I could only come up with the three collections (Stand Up, Warchild, and Thick As a Brick) that I missed out on without having to re-mortgage my house. Like an idiot I was too late in pulling the trigger before they went out of print. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find any of those three for a reasonable price I'm open to suggestions.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of this release. This Was was never at the top of my Tull collection but after giving this a couple of listens I don't know why I have always considered this lesser Tull. While it does pale in comparison to the re-mix of Songs From The Wood (which I just listened to prior to receiving this) and others re-mixed in 5.1, it is still nicely done in 4.1. It made me really appreciate the early bluesy incarnation of the band. I gave it a 9.

Now if I could only come up with the three collections (Stand Up, Warchild, and Thick As a Brick) that I missed out on without having to re-mortgage my house. Like an idiot I was too late in pulling the trigger before they went out of print. If anyone has any suggestions on where to find any of those three for a reasonable price I'm open to suggestions.

+1

Finally had time to really listen a few times. Wonderful surround, terrific clarity... Bluesy Jethro isnā€™t my favorite Tull, but this mix brings the playing to best light. So happy to be reacquainted with this first bloom of Ianā€™s musical adventure. And the 5.1 Love Story, and A Christmas Song sound even better... Lovely stuff. And the Tull box sets - the format, the essays, the notes, and photos. And all that extra music. All standard-setting stuff, right? A big 9 from me...

#17,007
Well just listened to the first 2 CD's of THIS WAS and I'm AMAZED how good they sound!! As I've been without my Surround System for quite some time, I currently have no way to listen to all the Multi-Channel discs I've bought over the last year but once I do, THIS WAS will probably rate a 10!!! The 2 tracks from The John Evan Smash remind me of the Syd Barret led "Pink Floyd" or the California Psychedelic sound of the mid-late 60's!! :QQlove

Love it!! What more can i say?

No wonder some of the live reviews when Tull opened for Zep....favored Tull. I get it even though Iā€™m much more of a Led-head than a Tull fan!!

An 8 from me (feeling generous).
Decent effort if we account for the source material.
Never was a Tull fan, although back in the day I liked Thick as a Brick, Aqualung and Songs from the Wood. Still find Aqualung exceptional.

This is just their bluesy past, never missed much if I'm honest..

Back