DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull - THIS WAS [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Jethro Tull - THIS WAS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 reissue of the first Jethro Tull album entitled "This Was".
This 50th anniversary edition contains a brand new 4.1 surround mix of the album from Steven Wilson along with a few additional bonus tracks mixed in 5.1 surround.

(y):)(n)

1370470_1541756432_1200.jpg

1370470_1_1541756295_1200.jpg

Jethro%20Tull%20This%20Was%20CD%2BDVD%20Expanded%20Packshot.jpg

Last edited:
This arrived a couple of hours ago. I enjoyed the DTS 4.1 mix, but I'd never heard the album before (except Song For Jeffrey) so I can't really compare it to the original. However, I then listened to the 2018 stereo mix of ...Jeffrey, and was more impressed by the punchiness of that than the surround mix. There are loads of interesting bonus tracks, including 2 full Top Gear sessions and original stereo and mono mixes, so there's plenty more for me to explore.

Just finished my first listen to this. Steven Wilson is the man. I had low expectations for this given the limitations of the source material; it was originally recorded in 4-track. But Steven has managed to come up with a wonderful mix. This is an album that I had never owned in any format before although I was familiar with a few tunes from various compilations, so I'll need a few more listens to fully digest it. But I have to say, I played it right after listening to Electric Ladyland. And while the Hendrix has some stellar moments on it, overall I think this is the better mixing job. And when you consider that this was recorded in 4-track while the other was recorded in 12-track, that makes this all the more impressive. ....and it makes me wonder what Steven could have done with Sgt Pepper! Anyway, if you were on the fence about this one because of the limitations of the source material, buy with confidence. Steven has done it again! This is certainly up to the standard of the other Tull sets.

SW would have killed the EL album! Sorry Kramar.

First it was Gun's Roses by Eliot Scheiner that wasn't good..now it's Hendrix that isn't good...you are like a parrot that can only say "SW would have killed it"...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I expected you to disappear for awhile after you told us how bad Electric Ladyland was before you even heard it...but maybe you just like the attention(ridicule)..and btw if you are going to "bash" someone...at least learn how to spell his name..it's KRAMER...not KRAMAR...

Last edited:
I don't vote on the polls too often, but should probably start! I'm a massive fan of the Tull releases but this one is tricky to judge for me...

I would deduct a point or two as it's not my favourite Tull material and they could have included all of the content from CD2 and CD3 on the DVD for convenience, but I would also add bonus points for what SW has achieved with the original 4-track tapes, which is quite remarkable.

For me personally I think it's an 8, but if you are a fan of the album then it's a definite 9!

I was never a Tull devotee until this surround passion kicked in . All these releases are brand new to my lug holes. What really helps is the knowledge that young Mr Wilson puts his heart and soul into everything he does.
This release being no exception.
To get what we hear out of a very basic, initial recording, is quite remarkable.
And, there are one or two engineers, who could take a leaf out of Steve's book and really start to master this art, like he has. He gets it!!
So after enjoying This Was, I will give it a well deserved 9.

Last edited:
I was never a Tull devotee until this surround passion kicked in . All these releases are brand new to my lug holes. What really helps is the knowledge that young Mr Wilson puts his heart and soul into everything he does.

Likewise, all of the older Tull stuff is pretty new to me too. Sure I've heard odd tracks over the years, but the majority of the 70's output is new to my ears and what a revelation it has been, especially in surround. I've even gone out of my way not to listen to the original stereo mixes of the albums that I've not heard before and wait until the new mixes come out, then go straight for the 5.1 experience! :)

I can't wait for Stormwatch to finish off the 70's period and I'm somewhat relieved that SW is doing that one. That will be 12 Tull albums that he has remixed, so big thanks to him for persevering with them and setting the standard! It will be a shame if he stops doing them, but I also think it's the right time to change remixer as the band and material are quite different after Stormwatch, I just hope they get someone who can continue the series to a similar standard...

I first heard this album as a kid back in the early '70s, and I've loved it ever since. For me, this release is another bullseye from Steven Wilson, and is easily the new definitive version of this great old record.

As I listen to this just-right surround mix, sounding so crystal-clear and just real, it's a bit overwhelming to consider Steve's amazing body of work in this area. Let's face it, no amount of dicking around with yet another stereo remaster could give us this sound. And while some of these titles may have seen a surround release at some point, there doesn't seem to be anyone else out there who gets it like this guy does. We surround nerds truly have an embarrassment of riches, thanks to this one guy!

This was one of those low budget first albums that I just never connected with. Tull were an "older" band I had to catch up with after the fact. (I wasn't there in the period to "get it" first hand is what I'm trying to say.) Listening to this first album was more like checking it off the list of things to do. There was a clue right in front of me for a long time in the Top Of The Pops recordings...

You know where this is going...
Turns out there was a really strong enjoyable album in there this whole time! Just an excellent mix as SW has a reputation for. There was never any doubt there. But I'm surprised all the same as I didn't expect the new mix to bring this album into the JT family to this extent.

And of course now I can finally listen to Living In The Past from front to back in surround. :)

Heh yeah, this really does put those treble-y volume war Beatles remixes and the no-effort Moody Blues and Rush upmixes to shame.

If you didn't realize you were a fan of the first JT album, this remix will set you straight!

This was one of those low budget first albums that I just never connected with. Tull were an "older" band I had to catch up with after the fact. (I wasn't there in the period to "get it" first hand is what I'm trying to say.) Listening to this first album was more like checking it off the list of things to do. There was a clue right in front of me for a long time in the Top Of The Pops recordings...

You know where this is going...
Turns out there was a really strong enjoyable album in there this whole time! Just an excellent mix as SW has a reputation for. There was never any doubt there. But I'm surprised all the same as I didn't expect the new mix to bring this album into the JT family to this extent.

And of course now I can finally listen to Living In The Past from front to back in surround. :)

Heh yeah, this really does put those treble-y volume war Beatles remixes and the no-effort Moody Blues and Rush upmixes to shame.

If you didn't realize you were a fan of the first JT album, this remix will set you straight!

Excellent overview, Jim. I, personally, have always had a soft spot for THIS WAS and Steve Wilson's magnificent [AS USUAL] remix makes it that much more enjoyable. And you're quite correct about Steve.....he's the real deal. He understands surround like few remixers do and finds the correct balances which not only fully support its stereo origins but enhances it exponentially.

And you're also spot on regarding current remixes......the too trebly Beatles, the ridiculously inept In Search of the Lost Chord and I cannot speak for Rush's Hemispheres as I can only go by the disparate reviews which have appeared on this forum [inglorious up mixes with a few surround elements thrown in for good measure????].

Hopefully after extensive touring and a well deserved rest, Steve Wilson will return to remixing albums into 5.1 surround or else we may continue to be 'burdened' with substandard remixes from unimaginative 'hacks' who should either look to our QUAD past for reference or study current competent surround remixes worthy of that moniker!

IMO, a GREAT surround remix/remaster should not have to be fiddled with.....it either works or it doesn't.......the same way we shouldn't have to fiddle with the color/hues, contrast levels, etc. on our TV monitors every time we view a program.

Last edited:
Excellent overview, Jim. I, personally, have always had a soft spot for THIS WAS and Steve Wilson's magnificent [AS USUAL] remix makes it that much more enjoyable. And you're quite correct about Steve.....he's the real deal. He understands surround like few remixers do and finds the correct balances which not only fully support its stereo origins but enhances it exponentially.

And you're also spot on regarding current remixes......the too trebly Beatles, the ridiculously inept In Search of the Lost Chord and I cannot speak for Rush's Hemispheres as I can only go by the disparate reviews which have appeared on this forum [inglorious up mixes with a few surround elements thrown in for good measure????].

Hopefully after extensive touring and a well deserved rest, Steve Wilson will return to remixing albums into 5.1 surround or else we may continue to be 'burdened' with substandard remixes from unimaginative 'hacks' who should either look to our QUAD past for reference or study current competent surround remixes worthy of that moniker!

IMO, a GREAT surround remix/remaster should not have to be fiddled with.....it either works or it doesn't.......the same way we shouldn't have to fiddle with the color/hues, contrast levels, etc. on our TV monitors every time we view a program.

A few nails hit squarely on the head there Ralph...and I wonder if the 'experts' ever read this site to move their 'profession' to the levels that would be deemed suitable for commercial release.:unsure:

Agreed, "This Was" is one of my favorite Tull albums along with their seminal masterpieces Thick as a Brick and Aqualung. never really liked Stand Up or Benefit too much. I don't much like any of the later Tull work. Originally I was hesitant on this purchase because it is DTS, after a few others' reviews here I can say that I am very happy that I bought it. A Truly excellent 4 corner quad mix, and this is without question the Best DTS mastering job that I have ever heard. You can turn this baby up pretty damn loud before the typical dts pronounced mids punch you in the ears. and yea the bottom end gets a little muddy, but overall this is excellent. Gets a solid 9 from me. This possibly would have been a 10 had it been a good lossless production.

This, times 1000. When it's set correctly, it's set correctly, period. If the mix is crappy, it's the mix's fault.

Back