Jethro Tull - "This Was" Steven Wilson 2.0/4.1 Remix!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow...last post on this thread was on Sept 24th...now I have to make a disclosure...for me...the content is pretty pedestrian...I live for the hit songs from Tull...and this one falls short in that category...and then Ian isn't a factor on this one...but the ironic part of this release is that of the upcoming MONSTER titles...some of the best of all time...when you are talking about the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix....and then there is RUSH...but of all these titles coming...only one has no doubts about the surround mix...this one....I don't think anybody really knows for sure what Kramer...Giles...or Chycki will do with those titles....but I'm not concerned about Steven Wilson's contribution on this title.....

So why am I suddenly talking about this "lightly" regarded title...because I have seen MOOSE drops....and that mammal with the antlers has sent a charge to my credit card...still in the pending stage...but getting ready to charge!

Regardless of the pedestrian content, I have to have this because I bought all of the other ones! I waited a bit too long on Songs From The Wood and had to do a "Search for the Holy Grail" in order to find it at a reasonable price. (Ditto with the Oppo 205, but you wouldn't know anything about that now...right Clint?)

Regardless of the pedestrian content, I have to have this because I bought all of the other ones! I waited a bit too long on Songs From The Wood and had to do a "Search for the Holy Grail" in order to find it at a reasonable price. (Ditto with the Oppo 205, but you wouldn't know anything about that now...right Clint?)

I used to be in that same situation...being compelled to buy things in sets....those were bad times in my life..searching for twin sisters to date...making sure the salt and pepper shakers were identical...it's a fine line we walk...but I have ascended beyond that stage...I had to make a decision if I was a music lover or music collector...what cured me was actually my background as a movie buff...I finally realized that buying Rocky 27 wasn't really in my best interests just to complete my "set"...besides...I just couldn't get into those fight scenes in the Senior Citizen Center...I mean throwing those depends at other seniors...it just seemed wrong to me..

I used to be in that same situation...being compelled to buy things in sets....those were bad times in my life..searching for twin sisters to date...making sure the salt and pepper shakers were identical...it's a fine line we walk...but I have ascended beyond that stage...I had to make a decision if I was a music lover or music collector...what cured me was actually my background as a movie buff...I finally realized that buying Rocky 27 wasn't really in my best interests just to complete my "set"...besides...I just couldn't get into those fight scenes in the Senior Citizen Center...I mean throwing those depends at other seniors...it just seemed wrong to me..

Blame Steven Wilson. Before he started on his epic run of Tull 2.0/5.1 remixes, all I ever owned were Aqualung (lousy sounding copies) and Benefit. Other than the radio-play tracks, all these Tull albums are new to me and I really like them. Besides, they look nice in the bookcase where all the encyclopedias used to be.

This album is special to me. Sure it is not their best but you have to remember that when it came out nobody else on the radio sounded like them. Listening to them for the first time was like hearing the Beatles for the first time. Who the hell are these guys. Do they really look like that in real life. I like this group. They are different was my opinion then. I sort of still feel that way today.

well I'm on the other side of the fence on this release, "This was" has always been one of my Tull favorites, My problem here is that it's Dts and not lossless surround, not a fan of dts, I like to listen loud and when you turn dts up, it Always lets you down. But for under 40.00 i may have to pull the trigger on it anyway.

Holy heck, mine just arrived!

IMG_3787.jpeg

Holy heck, mine just arrived!

Awesome! Can't wait to hear impressions of the mix.

I'm curious, does it mention in the liners how SW did the 4.1 mix? As far as I know this is the first mix SW has done from 4-track masters, and it must've required some complex digital tools and outside-the-box thinking.

ok guys so don't just leave me hangin, whats this sound like?

Sorry! I've been slammed at work. I'm just now firing this up. I've only closely studied one track - Someday The Sun Won't Shine For You. Disclaimer - I ripped these with DVD Audio Extractor to 4.1 Flac and just hit play. I presume the channel assignment is correct. If I use my terms incorrectly, it's because I don't know what they mean.

First impression: this does not disappoint. The guitar solo in My Sunday Feeling starts over on the right and drifts left pretty quickly. Flute solo in Beggar's Farm seems to fly around the channels.

Someday the Sun Won't Shine For You is interesting. Harmonica is mostly front left with reverb in left rear. Guitar is mostly front right, with reverb in right rear. Vocals seem to be heavy in the rears, but when I lean close to each speaker, I swear it sounds like they've put a different vocalist in each speaker with some reverb/bleed into other channels. Ian seems to be in LR.

I'm digging it.

Last edited:
Blame Steven Wilson. Before he started on his epic run of Tull 2.0/5.1 remixes, all I ever owned were Aqualung (lousy sounding copies) and Benefit. Other than the radio-play tracks, all these Tull albums are new to me and I really like them. Besides, they look nice in the bookcase where all the encyclopedias used to be.
Me too I had a greatest hits album and that's it but now .....

Back