Jethro Tull "Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young to Die" 2CD/2DVD Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my first listen and watch-through of the TV Special edition of the album. I also listened to the five original LP tracks and the four associated recordings in surround as well as demoing the unreleased Quad mix.

First impression: I think the TV special edition of the album is better than the album that was actually released! (But I'll certainly feel more sure about my assertions once I compare the TV special edition stereo mix with the original stereo mix of the album.)
I also think that the five 5.1 mixes of the original album were disappointing and not as good as what I heard from the TV surround mixes. I'll also add in that I really enjoyed the four associated recordings in surround but particularly "Commercial Traveller". How was that track not released until now?! It's fantastic!

More impressions once I listen and go through this set again with an even finer ear and eye! :)

Is there really an (unreleased) vintage quad mix on this set as well? If so, it just adds to my hope that other bands maybe continued doing quad mixes of their albums well after they stopped releasing them. Tull's last commercially released quad mix was War Child in 1974 (two albums before TOTRNR) but they apparently carried on doing quad mixes of Minstrel In The Gallery (1975) and TOTRNR (1976) as well as the (still unreleased) quad mix of the MU greatest hits album in 1975, which is notable because it would contain quad mixes of songs from albums not otherwise released in quad including Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play.

Imagine if there are other bands out there that stopped releasing quad albums in 1974 but carried on doing the quad mixes for 2 or 3 albums beyond that? The mind absolutely boggles.

First impression: I think the TV special edition of the album is better than the album that was actually released!
I second that opinion. Was a blast to watch too. Ended up throwing out the rip I did of the original album and just keeping the rip of the TV show.

Hope this arrives at my doorstep this week (or maybe it will be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow morning). I enjoyed the LWT TV performance on YouTube last week. It's going to be nice to watch in better quality. Now if only this were to be released on Bluray lol.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Not sure if that was rhetorical, but yes. :)

It wasn't rhetorical actually - I saw it in the initial press release but no one seemed to have mentioned it since. There have been a bunch of things released in the last few years that have either initially indicated a quad mix (like the Clapton box that included the 'EC Was Here' live album) or hinted at them (the original tweet announcing America's 'Homecoming' on AF SACD said it was a previously unreleased quad mix, it turned out to be the 5.1 DVD-A mix) only for them not to pan out, not to mention the various reissues where an extant quad mix couldn't be located at all. I suppose my attitude is 'hope for the best, but prepare for the worst' in order to avoid disappointment, hence the question about the TOTRNR quad mix.

Hope this arrives at my doorstep this week (or maybe it will be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow morning). I enjoyed the LWT TV performance on YouTube last week. It's going to be nice to watch in better quality. Now if only this were to be released on Bluray lol.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Actually, this is the first time since the one and only Blu-Ray release in this Jethro Tull reissue series that it made sense to do a release on DVD-V. The larger amount of video content on this release lends itself more to DVD-V than it does to DVD-A, and plus the quality of the video is not that fantastic so I doubt a Blu-Ray release would be a substantial improvement. (The surround audio would definitely be improved by a DVD-A or Blu-Ray release though.)
I should point out for those of you who don't have the set yet that you can listen to the remixed stereo & surround mixes of the TV show edition with or without the video. :)

http://jethrotullgroup.proboards.com/post/2435/thread
bNP70T.jpg

On my third surround release of the day nice that my wife is out all I have to do is cook a roast dinner not the most taxing thing.
Again another supurb mix and an album I have never owned nothing to taint my opinion.
I do like the album TV special, if only more programs were made like this :)

On my third surround release of the day nice that my wife is out all I have to do is cook a roast dinner not the most taxing thing.
Again another supurb mix and an album I have never owned nothing to taint my opinion.
I do like the album TV special, if only more programs were made like this :)

The wife's out, you're on your 3rd surround mix listen of the day and you're having a roast all to yourself..! That's cause for some serious celebration! Haha! Have a good one matey! :banana:

That is great, good for you JohnN! :upthumb
A nice memento to have on your copy at home.

It seems from what Plan9 was saying over at the SHF they have unfortunately failed to credit him (yet again) on this one..?

Back