Jethro Tull "Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll, Too Young to Die" 2CD/2DVD Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that's official, I give up getting my due credit on these releases. :violin
After 6 or 7 tries, you have to let go. I was actually considering Buddhism.

Oh, at least I'm on Octopus (at one time my favorite Gentle Giant album!).

Yes, that's official, I give up getting my due credit on these releases. :violin

Reading all this just makes me furious. I mean, really? How in the hell can anyone who is in charge of giving due credit in print not get it right? Seriously??? If anyone has any part of something that is being released....how oh how do they not get credited? Unforgivable!!! This sort of thing makes me mad as hell. In my line of work, we all get credit if you played any part of the product. Ugh....

Well here at QQ we appreciate your work, so if you've worked on something post it here, we at least will know and hold it in esteem.

Well here at QQ we appreciate your work, so if you've worked on something post it here, we at least will know and hold it in esteem.

sure, we do, but you see - the name in credit for participation in production actually at times can be more valuable
than paycheck for the work itself. particularly on high profile acts.
in pro world that's something to be use as reference in own portfolio.
i don't know who's responsible in this case but anyway this is very meanly.

Well blow me down with a feather. My pre-order from ImportCDs arrived in Sydney today - only 3 days after the official release date! It was posted on 11/23 and made its way across the Pacific in only 6 days. This would have to be a record for this store - they usually take forever to ship but I can live with it due to their generally better prices. The only other store that's come close to this speed is the odd order from Amazon UK which have arrived in as little as 5 days.

Reading all this just makes me furious. I mean, really? How in the hell can anyone who is in charge of giving due credit in print not get it right? Seriously??? If anyone has any part of something that is being released....how oh how do they not get credited? Unforgivable!!! This sort of thing makes me mad as hell. In my line of work, we all get credit if you played any part of the product. Ugh....

sure, we do, but you see - the name in credit for participation in production actually at times can be more valuable
than paycheck for the work itself. particularly on high profile acts.
in pro world that's something to be use as reference in own portfolio.
i don't know who's responsible in this case but anyway this is very meanly.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words. I really do, but don't get bent out of shape on my behalf. ;)
I will happily help Steven on the next reissue(s) if I'm allowed.

Although I'm disappointed not being in the credits again, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I guess the reason I'm always "forgotten" is because I have no contact with the series' curators, as I just come through Steven. Or they probably have a set number of lines for the text in the credits and adding one line would offset it or something, and they won't do that for my little non-essential contribution. :p

Anyway, on to the next release!

Last edited:
Hi guys, I really appreciate the kind words. I really do, but don't get bent out of shape on my behalf. ;)
I will happily help Steven on the next reissue(s) if I'm allowed.

Although I'm disappointed not being in the credits again, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I guess the reason I'm always "forgotten" is because I have no contact with the series' curators, as I just come through Steven. Or they probably have a set number of lines for the text in the credits and adding one line would offset it or something, and they won't do that for my little non-essential contribution. :p

Anyway, on to the next release!
When your contribution was non-essential, SW would not ask you. That he does ask you every time tells us you are an essential part of the creative process.

Steven tells me that he suspects nothing sinister is going on and that lack of communication is the probable culprit.
He actually made me remember that his personal acknowledgements never seem to get printed on the other 'classic albums' reissues either, when he is not directly in touch with the sleeve designer... The info just doesn't seem to get through for some reason.
I can't stress enough how much of a class act this guy is. :)

Oh I just love my Jethro Tull and my Tull Quads.Got Too Old.... locally on Friday.

All four of the Quad titles, thankyou Robin Black! (And Ian Anderson assist on Too Old's quad mix)

20151128_200031.jpg

I guess it's just about time to poll/vote this title.

Oh I just love my Jethro Tull and my Tull Quads. Got Too Old.... locally on Friday.

All four of the Quad titles, thankyou Robin Black! (And Ian Anderson assist on Too Old's quad mix)

I guess it's just about time to poll/vote this title.

Nice to see, see, see, & see Aqualung! Can't play Aqualung quad enough!

:51banana:

I'm not a huge fan of the Aqualung quad mix, mainly because in 74 they used different "takes" from the album.You can tell from the guitar solos on at least 3 of the pivotal tracks, My God, Locomotive Breath, etc.
Ian Anderson found the originals sometime in the late 80's thankfully, and of course Steven Wilson gives them their long overdue surround mix.

I use 2 Aqualung cds to house the 4ch and 5.1 editions, one for the DVD, the other for the Blu-ray.The "way too big box "is just not compatible for my shelving.

And my shelving is quickly using up space with all these 'Ultra Fantastic" must own Tull surround DVD/CD Book editions, etc.

I hope, wish, dream we get a little more UNKNOWN-UNRELEASED QUAD from the Jethro Tull archives. (perhaps M U Best of or a handful of other tunes??)

20151128_195936.jpg

(y) Understandable. Cool! I like the quad for the differences. Never had a chance to appreciate the Aqualung quad in the past to any degree, the blu-ray sound has me captured.

Been listening to too old for the last two days. Time to vote. Fragile just arrived today.

The TV audio and '5 original tracks' remixes really give this album new stature in the JT canon. Nice work.

I'm curious though that it says on the back of the box that DVD disc two contains:

"A flat transfer of the original 1976 QUAD LP PRODUCTION MASTER with DTS 4.0 and Dolby Digital AC3 4.0 surround sound

A flat transfer of the original 1976 LP MASTER at 96/24 stereo PCM."

The LP production master or 'LP master" is the recording made during cutting, preserving all the final EQ moves and additions applied for LP. So "LP production master" tapes usually means one generation down from original mixdown master tapes. Is this what they meant? It's not a big deal but it does have implications. E.g, the LP production master for 'Heavy Horses' will have the orchestral bits that are not present on the OMTs; they were added during album cutting.

Also: can anyone say what 'Title 1' vs 'Title 2' is on DVD Disc 1?
Both have the entire TV audio album (I think)
Title 1 offers 2 ch AC3, 6ch DTS and 6CH AC3
Title 2 offers 2 ch PCM, 6ch DTS and 6CH AC3

yet the lengths and file sizes of the corresponding 6ch files between titles are different (e.g., 6ch DTS different in Title 1 vs Title 2)

Also: can anyone say what 'Title 1' vs 'Title 2' is on DVD Disc 1?
Both have the entire TV audio album (I think)
Title 1 offers 2 ch AC3, 6ch DTS and 6CH AC3
Title 2 offers 2 ch PCM, 6ch DTS and 6CH AC3

yet the lengths and file sizes of the corresponding 6ch files between titles are different (e.g., 6ch DTS different in Title 1 vs Title 2)

Title 1 is the remixed TV show audio with the TV show video, while Title 2 is just the remixed TV show audio with a pictorial slideshow (similar to the visual presentations on the "War Child" and "Minstrel in the Gallery" sets.)
Also, the audio is higher quality for Title 2. It has 96 kHz/24 bit LPCM stereo and DTS 96/24 5.1, while Title 1 has Dullby stereo and the DTS 5.1 track at 48/24. (The Dullby 5.1 track is the same quality for both Title 1 and Title 2 I think)

If you're doing any kind of file rip, I would definitely use Title 2 instead of Title 1. Hope that helps! :)

A flat transfer of the original 1976 LP MASTER at 96/24 stereo PCM."

The LP production master or 'LP master" is the recording made during cutting, preserving all the final EQ moves and additions applied for LP. So "LP production master" tapes usually means one generation down from original mixdown master tapes. Is this what they meant? It's not a big deal but it does have implications. E.g, the LP production master for 'Heavy Horses' will have the orchestral bits that are not present on the OMTs; they were added during album cutting.

No, it is just bad wording, they mean the ALBUM master, not the LP production copy tape. Same problem with the other Tull sets.

Back