Jethro Tull's "Benefit" 50th Anniversary Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my box, it seems the 5.1 mix is the same as the previous version. The Tanglewood show is great, you guys are right about the solo's, my god the drum solo is long.

And I'm pretty sure there is a reference to it in the liner notes that say it was edited down. :eek:

Yes, love the Tanglewood concert and the semi chaos on the stage and all the hangers on in the background.

I'm supposing 'edited down ' might refer to the CD version? I watched it all the way through on the DVD, initially enjoying it (for the first five mins or so) and then waiting, waiting, waiting for the damned thing to be over. o_O

Ian Anderson mentions regretting certain comments he made between songs at Tanglewood, but I didn't hear anything cringe-worthy. It was nice to have this in 5.1, too.

And just checked in my listening room after waking this morning, and Clive Bunker's solo it still going on.
HaHa!

The Tanglewood show is definitely quite a video document. The early version of My God is quite a highlight I think, overdone flute solo and all. Stand up also included performance video. The highlight there is Anderson playing harmonica on To Be Sad Is a Mad Way To Be. Check it out if you have it. Priceless.

The Tanglewood show is definitely quite a video document. The early version of My God is quite a highlight I think, overdone flute solo and all. Stand up also included performance video. The highlight there is Anderson playing harmonica on To Be Sad Is a Mad Way To Be. Check it out if you have it. Priceless.
Iā€™d love to find a copy at a reasonable good price without loosing a limb to pay for itšŸ˜

Watched Tanglewood '70 today with my 9 year old boy while we were building a LEGO kit... hilarious commentary from him:

• "Why the heck are they taking so long to start? They're just standing there?"
    "Well bud, that was pretty common back then, they have to tune everything up and make sure all of the microphones are working... it wasn't as tight and as much of a production as it is these days, they were all just still figuring it out and using really old equipment that went out of tune a lot..."
    "What was the audience doing? They would just WAIT? Weren't they going nuts?"
    "I imagine it was frustrating for everyone just like it is for us watching it, and especially the band, you can see they just want to playā€”but it was pretty common so everyone just dealt with it."
    "Woah."
  • "His hair is CRAZY."
  • "Wait, they're tuning up again? Did they do this between EVERY SONG?"
  • "I mean, he's great at the flute but what is with all of the noises? He sounds like a little kid making funny noises... ooh, now he sounds like a dog... now he's a little kid again... whoop, here's the dog stuff again! Did people think this was cool?"
    "Well, they're cheering, right? And it's fun to watch people having fun like this, right?"
    "Yeah... I guess.
  • "Hey dad, isn't it weird how all of those old bands, like everyone would rock out but there's always one guy that doesn't? In this band it's the guitar guy. But like, you know how in The Who it's the bass player?" (proud dad here, and I was totally cracking up)
  • "Why does he keep switching from the piano to the organ?"
    "Well, for different sounds, you know?"
    "Did they always have to come back to this place to play because that's where their organ was?"
    "No, they had a crew that would help them take it from place to place."
    "But like, where are the pipes? Did they have to bring all of the pipes too?"
  • "You know, I think these old bands when they would do drum solos, they went a little overboard, right dad?"
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Watched Tanglewood '70 today with my 9 year old boy while we were building a LEGO kit... hilarious commentary from him:

"Well bud, that was pretty common back then, they have to tune everything up and make sure all of the microphones are working... it wasn't as tight and as much of a production as it is these days, they were all just still figuring it out and using really old equipment that went out of tune a lot..."
    "I imagine it was frustrating for everyone just like it is for us watching it, and especially the band, you can see they just want to playā€”but it was pretty common so everyone just dealt with it."
    "Woah."
  • "His hair is CRAZY."
  • "I mean, he's great at the flute but what is with all of the noises? He sounds like a little kid making funny noises... ooh, now he sounds like a dog... now he's a little kid again... whoop, here's the dog stuff again! Did people think this was cool?"
    "Well, they're cheering, right? And it's fun to watch people having fun like this, right?"
    "Yeah... I guess.
  • "Hey dad, isn't it weird how all of those old bands, like everyone would rock out but there's always one guy that doesn't? In this band it's the guitar guy. But like, you know how in The Who it's the bass player?" (proud dad here, and I was totally cracking up)
    "Did they always have to come back to this place to play because that's where their organ was?"
  • "You know, I think these old bands when they would do drum solos, they went a little overboard, right dad?"
Leave it to a 9 year old to just tell it like it IS.

"Woah."
  • "His hair is CRAZY."
    "Yeah... I guess.
That is one alert 9 year old. I lived in those days, and I cant remember anyone talking that long to tune up. I do however, remember even longer drum solos. Think Iron Butterfly.

That is one alert 9 year old. I lived in those days, and I cant remember anyone talking that long to tune up. I do however, remember even longer drum solos. Think Iron Butterfly.
Saw The Butterfly play some small bar in Toronto in the mid to late 70s 45 min DS but we were all drunk and stoned so ā€¦. I guess didnā€™t matter so muchā€¦all just background music

Back