DVD/DTS Poll Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson - Thick As A Brick 2 [DTS/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Ian Anderson - THICK AS A BRICK TWO

• Total voters
I received this today. Nice album, great mixes. The musicianship certainly is not up to the standards of JT but still decent. I would recommend this title to anyone.

BTW this title is mastered a little 'hot', some clipping. I wish SW would not use Jon Astley for mastering. I do agree with the SH forums, his work isn't the best. By no means bad, do not get me wrong, just more compression than needed.

I happened across a cheap copy of this at a local used CD/LP store this past weekend. I'd never heard the album before--some catchy tunes here ("Banker Bets, Banker Wins" is a standout for me) and Ian's voice is in surprisingly good form. The 5.1 mix is up to the high standard of SW's other Tull remixes, with lots of double-tracked vocals and organ isolated in the rear speakers. Unfortunately, I find the center-channel vocals to be overly-dry and somewhat detached from the music. I agree with the comments about the mastering as well--the louder sections with a heavy drum presence get to be pretty fatiguing at high volume. Overall, it's either a high "7" or a low "8" for me.

Back