Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be reissued in October 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So....I have the corrected disc. But it looks like the stereo will be better on the new reissue? CD or on the dvd?
Sorry if its redundant but a quick summation of what is different on the new reissue compared to the prior erlease both corrected and uncorrected would be helpful.

So....I have the corrected disc. But it looks like the stereo will be better on the new reissue? CD or on the dvd?
Sorry if its redundant but a quick summation of what is different on the new reissue compared to the prior erlease both corrected and uncorrected would be helpful.
Reason to buy: The remix stereo with 2015 mastering sounds good on DVD.

Before replacement DVD 5.1: At about the 7 minute mark there's slight cymbal torture, and 3 glitches noted at the beginning of side one. First two drop outs are strangely enough on the first two uses of the word down. Then something strange (drop out?) at the 3:03 mark. (Defects with the 5.1 at times 2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1")

+Steven Wilson acknowledged that the Peter Mew mastering is too bright.
Ian Anderson quietly says 'yeah' at the very end. It is missing on Mew's mastering. Only the 5.1 was corrected with a yeah at the end.

Crazy enough, the "yeah" is also missing from the original stereo flat transfer on the 40th.

I personally think that the DTS on the DVDs does a great job, I mean, they were not "audiophile" (hate that word!) quality regarding the tape and gear used to record those albums and I really don't think that a lossless would have been MUCH of an improvement... don't get me wrong, I'd prefer lossless ANY day but hey....

Sorry if its redundant but a quick summation of what is different on the new reissue compared to the prior release both corrected and uncorrected would be helpful.
The CD in the book-set will now be the 2015 CD version.

You put your bet on number one
And it comes up every time

Does anyone have a European or Amazon preorder listing for this? Can't find anything...

Update : I did find it at JPC in Germany at 42.99 euro.. Anywhere else cheaper ? I mean it's $24.98 (plus tax) at Rhino in the US...

Last edited:
Thanks, truth be told I have forgotten about them since Brexit, as the VAT and shipping to Greece does not make them cost effective for me.. and the price is about the same as JPC's...so unless amazon.de comes in any cheaper I'll be ordering from JPC..thanks again.

Does anyone have a European or Amazon preorder listing for this? Can't find anything...

Update : I did find it at JPC in Germany at 42.99 euro.. Anywhere else cheaper ? I mean it's $24.98 (plus tax) at Rhino in the US...
I wanted to look it up at Just For Kicks but their website is currently down. Here is the link for when the site works again:
https://justforkicks.de/shop/progre...ary-special-collector-s-edition-cd-dvd-boxsetAh...Google tells me it's 42,99 there too.
But this vendor has it for far less, never heard of them: Jethro Tull -Thick As A Brick (40th Anniversary Special Edition) -Parlophone Label Group (PLG) CD+DVD Grooves.land/Playthek

dts2496 was/is kind of a ringer of a format because there are media players and ripping apps that default to the core dts.

Which ones?

The limited support is prevalent for this format.

It's very widely supported.

When that happens, the sound is compromised beyond anything in the mastering on this one. I remember A/B'ing full vs core only and it was striking. Nulling (if you didn't believe your ears) still had full level audio.

Huh?

dts2496 was/is kind of a ringer of a format because there are media players and ripping apps that default to the core dts. The limited support is prevalent for this format.
It seems to me the core limitation of DTS has become more the exception than the rule with newish equipment and apps. As have the non-audio capable HDMI ports.

Unusual for me, I prefer the fixed TAAB 5.1 Dolby Digital over the DTS. (new Yamaha A2A)

Cheers

I'm in, of the Tull albums I enjoy this comes in a distant second to Aqualung but I'm hopeful hearing it superbly mixed will help elevate my appreciation of the album.

In happier news:
1662735746817.png

Back