Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be reissued in October 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
neatly dividing each movement, likely done to garner more streaming royalties
Maybe also to overcome limitations of some download stores where you could not buy songs that were over ten minutes on their own (although it begs the question who would want to buy a single section of this album!)...
2. Was this 2022 version sold for the specific reason of including the 2012 corrected DVD?
That was one reason. Another was that the original pressing had long been sold out and many (like me) only got on board with later sets - in my case the adapted Aqualung book was the first but at that time, you could still easily get all the previous sets... except TAAB. The demand was clearly there, and even if you managed to find one, it might come without the corrected the DVD because EMI was broken up right around this time and there are probably far less corrected DVDs than sets were originally pressed.
I received mine from Amazon in a matter of days...

Now, what did I receive?

- Back cover
2012: copyright 2012, P 2012
2022: copyright 2022, P 2012 & 2015, sticker "Made in Germany"

- Contents page
2012: Mastering at Abbey Road by Peter Mew
2022: same

- CD
2012: 5099970462029, 5099970461923 (set), P 2012
2022: 5099970462029, 5099970461923 (set), P 2015

- DVD
2012: 5099970461992, 5099970461923 (set), P 2012
2022: 5099970461992, 5099970461923 (set), P 2012

I presume I received the updated DVD. True? Do your discs match up to the above?

Thanks.

Edit: The 2012 DVD is the replacement disc as it has the "underline".

Edit2: The file dates in the Video_TS folder are July/August 2022.
Yeah, that's all correct. The numbers aren't so important - if anything, the DR numbers are the ones that prove what changed between 2012 and 2022 thanks to the efforts of @JohnN :)

Sure do wish they had put in the effort to remove Peter Mew's name from the credit, put the butterfly on top of the spine, print a new date on the DVD. But obviously it all costs extra money.

Last edited:
My set arrived today. Little bit of damage on the spine but I’m not going to go through the hassle of returning it. I now own all of the currently in print Tull releases.

Now only if they’d reissue the rest of them!
C1DAF1E8-58EF-4EA7-B796-C030BE9858B9.jpeg

My copy (October 2022 Reissue) finally arrived. No problems.

I used DVD Audio Extractor to rip, no problems.
There are 4 sections to rip, I ripped Titles 1, 2, 3,. I did not rip Title 4 the 1972 Radio Ad.
Title 3 is the 6 channel, easy no problems.

Title 1 & 2 are the 96/24 SW stereo mix and the Original Flat Transfer. Both are 96/24. They both rip as two tracks and both play well, no problems.

My Question:
Would anyone know which one is the SW Stereo and Flat Transfer? Title 1 or Title 2?
I played both there is definitely a difference in sound and time of tracks are different.
Title 1 sounds lighter and brighter, my suspect is that is the SW? Both tracks have a DR of 13.
Track 1 is 22:42 and Track 2 is 21:01
Title 2 sounds flatter but actually I prefer it. DR's are 12 Track 1 and 11 Track 2.
Track 1 is 22:37 and Track 2 is 22:07.

Usually I do not have a problem figuring out which is which on stereo rips as the new mix will be 96/24 and the old at 48/24 as an example.
But as both of these are 96/24 hard to tell.

My copy (October 2022 Reissue) finally arrived. No problems.

I used DVD Audio Extractor to rip, no problems.
There are 4 sections to rip, I ripped Titles 1, 2, 3,. I did not rip Title 4 the 1972 Radio Ad.
Title 3 is the 6 channel, easy no problems.

Title 1 & 2 are the 96/24 SW stereo mix and the Original Flat Transfer. Both are 96/24. They both rip as two tracks and both play well, no problems.

My Question:
Would anyone know which one is the SW Stereo and Flat Transfer? Title 1 or Title 2?
I played both there is definitely a difference in sound and time of tracks are different.
Title 1 sounds lighter and brighter, my suspect is that is the SW? Both tracks have a DR of 13.
Track 1 is 22:42 and Track 2 is 21:01
Title 2 sounds flatter but actually I prefer it. DR's are 12 Track 1 and 11 Track 2.
Track 1 is 22:37 and Track 2 is 22:07.

Usually I do not have a problem figuring out which is which on stereo rips as the new mix will be 96/24 and the old at 48/24 as an example.
But as both of these are 96/24 hard to tell.
I can confirm that Title 2 is the original mix.
dr numbers

I bought the TAAB Boxset when it first came out, and then sourced the corrected disc as soon as it was available. I originally bought TAAB on vinyl when it was first released and it was probably among the first 10 discs I ever had. That being the case it was played very frequently if only because of the limited material I had to hand. I would say that my familiarity with the material was very much ingrained.

Now I'm a great fan of Steven Wilson but I think there was a screw-up when TAAB was remixed. I'm not talking about the Peter Mew stuff, it's a section near the beginning of what was side 2 where there is a content error. It's in both the 5.1 and stereo remixes. The samples I've inserted below are both from the corrected DVD.

Here's a snippet of the original. It starts at around 1:40 on side 2 (or part 2). Listen for the flute/bells section that starts during the drum solo. It goes for about 7 seconds, stops then there's a 2 second refrain before the full band comes back in.

Now listen to the remixed version of the same section. The flute/bell section plays at the same point but then immediately repeats itself in full, continuing past the point where the full band comes back in.

Does any of this matter? Probably not, but it sure does grate when you're really really familiar with how it should sound!

I bought the TAAB Boxset when it first came out, and then sourced the corrected disc as soon as it was available. I originally bought TAAB on vinyl when it was first released and it was probably among the first 10 discs I ever had. That being the case it was played very frequently if only because of the limited material I had to hand. I would say that my familiarity with the material was very much ingrained.

Now I'm a great fan of Steven Wilson but I think there was a screw-up when TAAB was remixed. I'm not talking about the Peter Mew stuff, it's a section near the beginning of what was side 2 where there is a content error. It's in both the 5.1 and stereo remixes. The samples I've inserted below are both from the corrected DVD.

Here's a snippet of the original. It starts at around 1:40 on side 2 (or part 2). Listen for the flute/bells section that starts during the drum solo. It goes for about 7 seconds, stops then there's a 2 second refrain before the full band comes back in.

View attachment 97177

Now listen to the remixed version of the same section. The flute/bell section plays at the same point but then immediately repeats itself in full, continuing past the point where the full band comes back in.

View attachment 97178

Does any of this matter? Probably not, but it sure does grate when you're really really familiar with how it should sound!
Wow, you're right! I never noticed the error, even though I would pride myself on being intimately familiar with this album also. The mistake clearly wasn't intentional, since it causes the flute/bells repeated section to overlap with the band coming back in, and dilutes the impact of that moment.

Good ear! Except, now I can't unhear it, and I'll cringe a bit every time I play that section in the future. So, um, thanks?

Yet another reason I'm often preferring upmixes these days .

In a perfect world, every remix would be sent to uber-fans for quality control like this, before being released to the public.
Blame me, lol. I would put that down to a remixing decision. MFSL CD is my choice for TaaB.

Does the original corrected DVD have this problem or just the new double disc set?
I don't want to hear this and then be unable to unhear it ever....

Back