Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be reissued in October 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mastering damage on that "big box" Aqualung release eclipses any loss from the dts2496 lossy format, FYI. It's not even close. There are also missing tracks vs the more proper release. (Some of the extras from that 1970 EP.) Curiously the quad mixes were not run through their mastering damage settings! The mastering dude must have only been interested in wrecking the stereo and 5.1 mixes. So you can have a truly lossless copy of the quad mixes from that big box. When you null them against the dts2496 copies there's a little meter wiggle around -100db but you hear silence. The sound on the damaged master is miles apart from the "proper" reissue.

I remember this was an opportunity to do a controlled shootout between lossless and dts2496 at the time. I think I even posted some example files back then.

And just for perspective, the mastering damage on the big box version is subtle compared to some of the truly damaged novelty releases you might hear out in the wild. We're being snobby with this one so... here it is.

The mastering damage on that "big box" Aqualung release eclipses any loss from the dts2496 lossy format, FYI. It's not even close. There are also missing tracks vs the more proper release. (Some of the extras from that 1970 EP.) Curiously the quad mixes were not run through their mastering damage settings! The mastering dude must have only been interested in wrecking the stereo and 5.1 mixes. So you can have a truly lossless copy of the quad mixes from that big box. When you null them against the dts2496 copies there's a little meter wiggle around -100db but you hear silence. The sound on the damaged master is miles apart from the "proper" reissue.

I remember this was an opportunity to do a controlled shootout between lossless and dts2496 at the time. I think I even posted some example files back then.

And just for perspective, the mastering damage on the big box version is subtle compared to some of the truly damaged novelty releases you might hear out in the wild. We're being snobby with this one so... here it is.
Yeah, but…unless they do an affordable re-release of the “small box” Aqualung, I will never hear the difference 🤑

Yeah, but…unless they do an affordable re-release of the “small box” Aqualung, I will never hear the difference 🤑
During the Adapted Aqualung project I told Warner the quad on Blu-ray sounded better than the new DVD. I was told it shouldn't.

dts2496 was/is kind of a ringer of a format because there are media players and ripping apps that default to the core dts. The limited support is prevalent for this format. When that happens, the sound is compromised beyond anything in the mastering on this one. I remember A/B'ing full vs core only and it was striking. Nulling (if you didn't believe your ears) still had full level audio. This is where those reviews come from.

I guess I’ve got that going for me…though if I recall…the whole album is not in Quad on the blu-ray…or am I confusing it with Songs From The Wood? 🤔
It's the whole album in quad. Some of the mixes, however, are radical departures from the original stereo mix, featuring different takes and instrumentation.

Did Wilson not do a mix and release of TAAB in 2012?

Is this a reissue of the same or has Wilson done it again?

Back