Jim Croce in Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody asked for Jim Croce Quads?

Those fall under the MCA umbrella and they don't seem too keen to do multichannel, and that's considering IF the tapes survived the Great Purge. But I would love to see them get a new lease on life!

Yes. I'm pretty sure it's been brought up to AF and they are/were checking it out.

And the tapes are privately owned/controlled which can make it a cinch to license. The rights reverted from the producers to estate some years ago.

A two-fer in quad would seem obvious, yet an expanded "Greatest Hits" would be just as tasty in quad.

And the tapes are privately owned/controlled which can make it a cinch to license. The rights reverted from the producers to estate some years ago.

A two-fer in quad would seem obvious, yet an expanded "Greatest Hits" would be just as tasty in quad.

Two-fer? There's Four Jim Croce Quads! You Don't Mess around with Jim, I Got a Name, Life & Times and Greatest Hits (Photographs/Memories) Also, the mixes that appear on the GH do differ slightly from the same cuts appearing on the albums proper.

We could only hope that Ingrid and A.J. have the Quad masters in their possession. I have no doubt that they'd want to get Jim's music out and into the spotlight once again.

Two-fer? There's Four Jim Croce Quads! You Don't Mess around with Jim, I Got a Name, Life & Times and Greatest Hits (Photographs/Memories) Also, the mixes that appear on the GH do differ slightly from the same cuts appearing on the albums proper.
We could only hope that Ingrid and A.J. have the Quad masters in their possession. I have no doubt that they'd want to get Jim's music out and into the spotlight once again.

Yes two-fer or an expanded "Greatest Hits"

Two-fers are going to be the rage in quad releases on SACD didn't you hear the news?

A thread requesting the release of one or more Jim Croce albums mixed in 4 Channel Quad in the 1970's on Multichannel SACD.

Licensing for the Jim Croce catalog is now bring handled by Rhino (Warner Music).
Audio Fidelity has licensed 4 Channel titles from Rhino so you never know....

I'm not a huge fan really, but I admit, I would buy anything Quad of his they want to sell me. I mean, he's a good songwriter....Time In A Bottle would sound excellent....Never LIked that Leroy Brown stuff.... :)

The production is stellar on those albums!!!

I have a copy of "Life and Times" cut at The Mastering Lab in LA and it's a knockout cut. I also have an ABC in-house cut of one of the other LPs, and it sounds spectacular. So these albums when mastered right can really jump outta the speakers at you. You add quad, and those hit songs will sell themselves.

I'm not a huge fan really, but I admit, I would buy anything Quad of his they want to sell me. I mean, he's a good songwriter....Time In A Bottle would sound excellent....Never Liked that Leroy Brown stuff.... :)

Yes, but in quad, you really hear the back-up singers on "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown", especially when that fight breaks out in the song. It comes alive for me.

"One Less set of Footsteps" is a favorite of mine.

The production is stellar on those albums!!!

I have a copy of "Life and Times" cut at The Master Lab in LA and it's a knockout cut. I also have an ABC in-house cut of one of the other LPs, and it sounds spectacular. So these albums when mastered right can really jump outta the speakers at you. You add quad, and those hit songs will sell themselves.

OK, I take back what I said...I just got on youtube...guess I forgot about all those great hits he has....

Operator
Time In A Bottle
I Got A Name
Have To Say I Love You In A Song
Photographs & Memories

Maybe we could just get his Greatest Hits in Quad...that would be stellar...well, and whatever others you guys want. :)

Maybe we could just get his Greatest Hits in Quad...that would be stellar...well, and whatever others you guys want. :)
For Croce, I want two 2-fers, two studio albums on one, and the Greatest Hits, plus another studio album on the other.

I love the part on 'Five Short Minutes' where in the back left channel, right before the instrumental break you can hear someone shout; quite audibly: "ROCK AND ROLL!!!" which is so buried in the stereo version, you'd have to know it was there to hear it. It was either Maury or one of the backup group as it's definitely not Jim's voice.

Well, the entire JC discography would fit comfortably into 2 discs, so let's push for "L'Integrale" (french style...). Done once and for all, with everything.

I cant be 100% sure of this but I recall having a Q8 of the greatest hits release back in the day and being pretty disappointed in the mix. Not discrete. Mostly ambience.

Well, the entire JC discography would fit comfortably into 2 discs, so let's push for "L'Integrale" (french style...). Done once and for all, with everything.

I agree. The material is strong and sound quality warrents Vols 1 & 2, "The Complete ABC Recordings" in stereo and 4.0 Quad. The first time a box set type package has been done for this artist!

I cant be 100% sure of this but I recall having a Q8 of the greatest hits release back in the day and being pretty disappointed in the mix. Not discrete. Mostly ambience.

I would have to disagree. It's very, very discrete. On a few songs, like "Time in a Bottle", the instrumentation is a bit sparse so all that comes from the rears are Jim's vocal echoes and perhaps some strings. The songs with much more dense instrumentation have an impressive, aggressive 4-corner sound.

Back