Jim Croce in Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Not really, if anything they have been a bit too mainstream in their choices. Greatest Hits and Best of collections are not forgotten.

They have given us a broad range of titles from fusion, to album rock, R&B, singer songwriters, 70s pop and rock, etc.

My only complaint is that they have not issued as many rock titles as I would of liked. I also would suggest titles not previously on the commercial "reel to reel" format. Seems many of the Warner titles they choose to issue were available on Q4 tapes.

So while I am hoping against odds for BOC, Aerosmith, and Edgar and Johnny Winter, or anything that rocks like Alice Cooper, I have a funny feeling that Jim Croce is going to be announced. I will be thrilled and excited just like I am about Full Sail, yet deep inside of me I will be thinking ok, another mellow title that is not rock & roll. At this point I will accept Mott The Hoople with it's oddly mixed 4-chan master just to hear something rock my world for a change.

What makes you think Jim Croce is coming? I was under the impression that the ABC Quad tapes were no longer around.
As for some of the other artists mentioned, I have always said since the announcement of "The Collection" that the BOC titles could be very possible suggestions because of their non-release on SACD thus far. As for the Winters, I would certainly love for AF to reissue "Jasmine Nightdreams" as an SACD, seeing as how it's likely to sound so much better than the current DTS-CD, and perhaps "Shock Treatment" and the Rick Derringer LP could also be good contenders, seeing as how they have also never been released on SACD before.
Then from Johnny, there's "John Dawson Winter III", "Saints & Sinners", and "Still Alive and Well", all of which have also never been released on SACD before, so just right there, we have about 8 potential rock titles for AF to explore, and let's hope they do! :)

My understanding is that the Jim Croce tapes are now in the hands of the Croce Estate, not Universal Music.
Time will tell whether or not they are reissed on SACD.

My understanding is that the Jim Croce tapes are now in the hands of the Croce Estate, not Universal Music.
Time will tell whether or not they are reissed on SACD.

You might be right.
On Spotify, for the Croce albums, it says the copyright is owned by R2M Music, marketed by Rhino.
Now I'm not the biggest Jim Croce fan by any means, but then again, I also wasn't the biggest Bread or Loggins & Messina fan either, and those two have become two of my favorite Quad SACDs that AF have released thus far, so I say bring it on if AF can make it happen! :)

You might be right.
On Spotify, for the Croce albums, it says the copyright is owned by R2M Music, marketed by Rhino.
Now I'm not the biggest Jim Croce fan by any means, but then again, I also wasn't the biggest Bread or Loggins & Messina fan either, and those two have become two of my favorite Quad SACDs that AF have released thus far, so I say bring it on if AF can make it happen! :)

Correct. Owned by the Croce estate, marketed by Rhino.

Now now. For many of us who don't have his "hits"...I guess I'd bite on that. Anything else...meh. :) funny, he's one of those guys that simply wore out his welcome due to obscene playtime on classic rock stations all over the mid-west. Ugh.

Now now. For many of us who don't have his "hits"...I guess I'd bite on that. Anything else...meh. :) funny, he's one of those guys that simply wore out his welcome due to obscene playtime on classic rock stations all over the mid-west. Ugh.

I think if you revisited THIS ONE you would be pleased...I discovered some songs I hadn't heard before that are excellent....lot's of good content..I'm very pleased with mine:)

I was too young to hear his music when it came out plus the fact that radio station here would rarely play his music. This means that I have only heard one song of his and only a few times at that so should a Quad comp come out, I'd be tempted to get it.

Time will tell whether or not they are reissued on SACD.

Steve Hoffman made a comment over in the other forum just the other day. Seems nobody noticed it. He stated two things, one is the AF went after Croce's albums for SACD w/ surround and were declined. The other thing that was interesting is that the first album is one SH said he (previously) almost got to remix for surround, perhaps for another label?.

Steve Hoffman made a comment over in the other forum just the other day. Seems nobody noticed it. He stated two things, one is the AF went after Croce's albums for SACD w/ surround and were declined. The other thing that was interesting is that the first album is one SH said he (previously) almost got to remix for surround, perhaps for another label?.

A Real Shame. It always seems that when a recording artist passes on and their recorded legacy reverts to their family trust that chances of them EVER being released in multichannel are NIL (think Zappa, Sinatra, Michael Jackson, now Croce and probably Hendrix).

Croce's four existing multichannel masters on the ABC/Command label will likely rot in the family safe and will one day be of NO use to anyone. WHAT A WASTE!

BTW, never knew SH remixed albums into 5.1 from scratch.

Disappointing but thanks for passing on all the info.

A Real Shame. It always seems that when an artist passes on and their recorded legacy reverts to their family trust that chances of them EVER being released in multichannel are NIL (think Zappa, Sinatra, Michael Jackson, now Croce and probably Hendrix).

Croce's four existing multichannel masters on the ABC/Command label will likely rot in the family safe and will one day be of NO use to anyone. WHAT A WASTE!

BTW, never knew SH remixed albums into 5.1 from scratch.

So v. true.. if the custodians of these artists' work ever stopped to think about the fans' interests, things would be very different.. to my mind it's probably short-sightedness, ignorance and greed (among other things) on the parts of those with control over the catalogues that prevent a lot of these surround things from happening.. I doubt very often it's an aesthetic choice, I imagine rarely is it the case "We don't like surround, period. No surround from this artist, period" it's more than likely many other factors over and above a revulsion of Quad/5.1.

So v. true.. if the custodians of these artists' work ever stopped to think about the fans' interests, things would be very different.. to my mind it's probably short-sightedness, ignorance and greed (among other things) on the parts of those with control over the catalogues that prevent a lot of these surround things from happening.. I doubt very often it's an aesthetic choice, I imagine rarely is it the case "We don't like surround, period. No surround from this artist, period" it's more than likely many other factors over and above a revulsion of Quad/5.1.

I JUST e~mailed Ingrid Croce at Jim Croce's website and made a pitch that her husband's music is still very much in demand and as analogue tape does NOT last forever would she kindly allow her husband's QUAD masters to be transferred to Hi Res SACD.

Her e~mail address: http://JIMCROCE.COM/?page_id=17#sthash.MKE9Zh40.dpbs

I encourage others to do likewise. Times is a wasting and once the window on mch releases closes doubtful we'll have have a chance to hear JIM in 4.0!

Adam, do you have any of Croce's QS LPs and if so, how do they sound?

Short answer = No Ralph.

Long answer = It's nothing against Croce, at all, I just got fed up with QS very quickly.. things like poor pressings, poor mixes and few artists I really like were several nails in the QS coffin for me!

SQ has been the most interesting of the Quad vinyl formats I've dabbled in, with the best choice of artists and the most consistently good Quad mixes by a mile.

Now discovering CD-4 has, like QS, more than its fair share of poor pressings, poor mixes and artists I don't like much! Ho hum... :eek:

The Croce Quad records are on "the shopping list" Ralph (some here say they are good, so that's encouraging) but I'd have to find them mint or sealed for relative pennies to pursue it at this stage of the game, I think.

Short answer = No Ralph.

Long answer = It's nothing against Croce, at all, I just got fed up with QS very quickly.. things like poor pressings, poor mixes and few artists I really like were several nails in the QS coffin for me!

SQ has been the most interesting of the Quad vinyl formats I've dabbled in, with the best choice of artists and the most consistently good Quad mixes by a mile.

Now discovering CD-4 has, like QS, more than its fair share of poor pressings, poor mixes and artists I don't like much! Ho hum... :eek:

The Croce Quad records are on "the shopping list" Ralph (some here say they are good, so that's encouraging) but I'd have to find them mint or sealed for relative pennies to pursue it at this stage of the game, I think.

Most unfortunately, Adam, a LOT of the Vinyl pressings (QUAD or otherwise) at that time (the 70's) were crappy, CRAPPY. I returned probably 1 out of 2 QUAD pressings for replacement OR refund. Why do you think the majors turned to tape based formats? Some of the worst were the EMI Angel SQ pressings. Atrocious!

If you're thinking of going Q8....GOOD LUCK. I went though my 8 track phase (NOT QUAD)....even had an 8 track recorder with Dolby b but after switching to Open Reel and then QUAD Open Reel I NEVER touched an 8 track again. NO comparison!

BTW, interesting article in this month's Sound and Vision. Seems OLDER music is outselling new music by a comfortable margin. What does that tell you.........They DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THEY USED TO. Maybe there's still hope for getting some of those older QUAD titles to market if this trend persists.

Most unfortunately, Adam, a LOT of the Vinyl pressings (QUAD or otherwise) at the time were crappy, CRAPPY. I returned probably 1 out of 2 QUAD pressings for replacement OR refund. Why do you think the majors turned to tape based formats?

If you're thinking of going Q8....GOOD LUCK. I went though my 8 track stage (NOT QUAD)....even had a recorder with Dolby b but after switching to Open Reel and then QUAD Open Reel I NEVER touched an 8 track again. NO comparison!

Oh aye Ralph, I now know more about crappy Quad vinyl than I ever wanted to! :D
(on that note, did you ever encounter problems with the Absolute Elsewhere CD-4?
What a joke my copy is.. it looks immaculate.. yet the CD-4 carrier kept dropping out on that one, just appalling QC in manufacturing, I guess.. it was one of the few CD-4 Quads I was really interested in hearing.. super annoying!).. I kinda know a little bit about 8-track (I went thru a brief phase of collecting the carts 25 years ago.. fascinating format.. but like vinyl, I wouldn't even be entertaining getting back into 8-track either if it wasn't for Quad, I've been spoilt by DTS/DVD-A and more recently SACD.!! That's why I want all this stuff reissued on modern day formats! Less effort :eek: )

Back