Jim Croce in Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh aye Ralph, I now know more about crappy Quad vinyl than I ever wanted to! :D
(on that note, did you ever encounter problems with the Absolute Elsewhere CD-4?
What a joke my copy is.. it looks immaculate.. yet the CD-4 carrier kept dropping out on that one, just appalling QC in manufacturing, I guess.. it was one of the few CD-4 Quads I was really interested in hearing.. super annoying!).. I kinda know a little bit about 8-track (I went thru a brief phase of collecting the carts 25 years ago.. fascinating format.. but like vinyl, I wouldn't even be entertaining getting back into 8-track either if it wasn't for Quad, I've been spoilt by DTS/DVD-A and more recently SACD.!! That's why I want all this stuff reissued on modern day formats! Less effort :eek: )

I wasn't familiar at all with Absolute Elsewhere......just auditioned part of it on this website https://www.discogs.com/Absolute-Elsewhere-In-Search-Of-Ancient-Gods/master/25101

Sounds great....will probably seek out the RBCD although it does sound like a GREAT candidate for QUAD. TOO bad, Adam........absolute BUMMER!

Just to recap on your edit to previous post, Ralphie, how comes if its the older stuff that's selling Quads such a hard sell?
Doesn't add up.. this should be THE time for Quad to make its comeback, the technology is there (at last!), the music is en vogue (again!).. Quad-boggling! :confused:

Just to recap on your edit to previous post, Ralphie, how comes if its the older stuff that's selling Quads such a hard sell?
Doesn't add up.. this should be THE time for Quad to make its comeback, the technology is there (at last!), the music is en vogue (again!).. Quad-boggling! :confused:

Adam, while you're sitting there twiddlin' your thumbs e~mail Ingrid Croce....tell her you're a JC fan from the UK....and petition her to release those QUAD tapes to AF before they dry up and flake.

Do it pour moi, baby.

http://JIMCROCE.COM/?page_id=17#sthash.MKE9Zh40.c3l6ZWyJ.dpbs

I wasn't familiar at all with Absolute Elsewhere......just auditioned part of it on this website https://www.discogs.com/Absolute-Elsewhere-In-Search-Of-Ancient-Gods/master/25101

Sounds great....will probably seek out the RBCD although it does sound like a GREAT candidate for QUAD. TOO bad, Adam........absolute BUMMER!

Its a fabulous album! (I think it would be up many of the Proggy guys' streets round here).. I may try and track down another copy but.. just a p in the a, donchyaknow! :D

Its a fabulous album! (I think it would be up many of the Proggy guys' streets round here).. I may try and track down another copy but.. just a p in the a, donchyaknow! :D

I just ordered Absolute Elsewhere's In Search Of Ancient Gods from CDJapan where it has been reissued as an SHM~RBCD for $12.68 delivered to New York. Can't wait to hear it. Thanks for the heads~up, AB!

Perhaps a good alternative for you if you cannot locate another CD~4 copy. http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-17326

I just ordered Absolute Elsewhere's In Search Of Ancient Gods from CDJapan where it has been reissued as an SHM~RBCD for $12.68 delivered to New York. Can't wait to hear it. Thanks for the heads~up, AB!

Perhaps a good alternative for you if you cannot locate another CD~4 copy.

Bravo Ralph :) It's one of those records I wouldn't know about if it weren't for Quad, so for that I'm thankful but bloody hell I'll need another CD-4 record before I can really enjoy the Quad! (Unless someone has done a conversion already and I've just never found it.. hopefully one day will get to hear it in all its 4-channel glory!)

I think Bob did this, but if you want the reel files PM me and i will find them.

Oh aye Ralph, I now know more about crappy Quad vinyl than I ever wanted to! :D
(on that note, did you ever encounter problems with the Absolute Elsewhere CD-4?
What a joke my copy is.. it looks immaculate.. yet the CD-4 carrier kept dropping out on that one, just appalling QC in manufacturing, I guess.. it was one of the few CD-4 Quads I was really interested in hearing.. super annoying!).. I kinda know a little bit about 8-track (I went thru a brief phase of collecting the carts 25 years ago.. fascinating format.. but like vinyl, I wouldn't even be entertaining getting back into 8-track either if it wasn't for Quad, I've been spoilt by DTS/DVD-A and more recently SACD.!! That's why I want all this stuff reissued on modern day formats! Less effort :eek: )

Adam, do you have any of Croce's QS LPs and if so, how do they sound?

I'm not Adam :smokin, but............

I just recently ran all 3 ABC Command Jim Croce albums (no need to do the Hits (CQD-40020) as the same songs are on the original albums) through the Surround Master into my PC via MOTU with the idea of making a JC disc for my brother who just got a surround system in his basement TV room. Anyway, the results were underwhelming at best. Compared to the Q8 play-ins I'd done in the past, there is no comparison. It's such a no-contest that it's not even worth attaching the wav files for y'all to look at.

You have to figure that the original encoders just could not do the job as the Surround Master in Involve Mode is more than capable of decoding QS. It's just another reason why the quad LP was probably the biggest reason that quad failed back in the '70s. Again it all comes back to - if you don't have a Q8 or Q4, you're not going to be dazzled or amazed on a consistent basis.

In the case of Jim Croce, if AF or Dutton or someone else could get the original quad masters and release them on SACD, remastered, they would render the QS LP's and Q8 tapes of these titles to the local dumpsters forever.

Didn't Brian Moura say that AF had approached the Croce estate (who apparently own the masters) about doing quad SACDs and had been turned down?

I was about 11 when he had his hits, and love his music. I would definitely pick up just about any album of his released in surround/quad. I am not sure I understand why his estate would decline a reissue such as this, but it could be based on past treatment by the recording industry.

picked up a few of these Croce Quads on QS LP since last posting in this thread though it seems there's no point wasting time running them thru the Surround Master now from what Jon's said! :D

a bit of a shame cos some of the ABC Command QS records pan out pretty cool thru the Surround Master (Rufus X 2, Four Tops X 2, B B King Friends) so the system and the decoding method can't be a total washout just some discs it seems?.. oh well, next!

Jumping in here to say I have all 4 of the Croce Q8's and I find them a bit echo heavy, the stereo sounds more up front, but I have no idea if this is due to poor mastering of the quad mixes, but they don't seem terribly discrete to my ears. I would like to hear the masters and what was actually done in the quad mixing stage. I have the hits album in quad on lp, same issues. I don't have QS decoding and have no plans for it, but the quad tapes should reveal what's there....but then again, it could be like the US quad issue of Dark Side Of The Moon:(

Didn't Brian Moura say that AF had approached the Croce estate (who apparently own the masters) about doing quad SACDs and had been turned down?

No, reissues of the Croce albums - in Stereo or Surround - is up to the Croce Estate and Warner Music which is handling the catalog for the estate.
Time will tell what the estate and Warner Music have in mind for the catalog.

These days, licensing music for TV and Movie use is much more lucrative than a reissue.

It's not up to him now.
We will see what his estate and Warner Music do.

It's a shame what "estates" do with the intellectual property of the dearly departed. Elvis is another example. Priscilla recently complained bitterly how Elvis' memory is being degraded and that today, in the public eye, Elvis is seen as nothing more than a caricature of his former self.

But the paw is still out demanding something in the neighborhood of $10,000 for 10 seconds use of most any Elvis song in movies, TV, video games or on radio.

One example that stands out in my mind is the video game "Mafia 2" which came out in 2010 and the game takes places during the late 40's and early-to-mid 50's. Prime Elvis time. Were any Elvis songs featured on the radio in the game? Glory, No! The producers of the game wanted Elvis music in the game! But what it would have cost to license 10 Elvis songs, they wound up getting 140 other songs. To add those 10 Elvis songs would've doubled the music budget! So, what'd they do? Cut the 10 Elvis songs and since Mafia takes place in an alternate universe, they just made up the story that Elvis doesn't exist in that universe.

Could've introduced the King to millions of younger gamers (mostly kids) but nope, had to demand their 100 million dollars. There's greed and then there's simply abject stupidity. Stuff like that has a sell-by date. Fewer and fewer people remember who Elvis is and even less know who Jim Croce is.

I understand the whole "It's theirs' to do so as they please bit" but do something before it's too late. Don't just sit on it pretending you've got the goose who laid the golden egg. In 5, 10 years.... will anybody care anymore?

Back